C

Cr122

Readers react to Hall of Famer calling Cowboys 'Brokeback'

08:55 PM CDT on Monday, September 6, 2010

SportsDayDFW.com

The Dallas Morning News recently posted a blog about comments made by Hall-of-Famer Dan Hampton, who claimed the Cowboys were more ‘Brokeback’ than they were ‘Eastwood’. The defensive end also said that the Minnesota Vikings need to go into their game against the New Orleans Saints and ‘hit that town like Katrina’.

Here are some comments made by readers in response to the blog and Hampton’s comments:

From rene vega : I used to think highly of Hampton. I will borrow a phrase from F. Scott Fitzgerald : "There are no second acts to American lives." Hampton has already his fame; it's time to let him ride into the sunset like a good Cowboy. Katrina was a disaster and New Orleans suffered. It is "literary justice" for them to have been resilient and won it all. Now, it's the Cowboys turn.

From Jeririah: The guy speaks his mind. So what? Until the Cowboys develop some toughness in those close games and start winning them, people will talk. This Cowboys team does not have the heart of the 1990's Cowboy teams. When they get behind they just seem to fold and give up in the 4th quarter. I wish they could learn to tough it out and win these gritty games because they face a tough schedule this year. This might be a reflection on their coach.

From madtexan: What he says about Dallas is slightly humorous and nothing more than trash-talk. What he said about the Vikings needing to hit New Orleans like Katrina was way out of line.

From droopydog1: He's right. The Cowboys aren't nearly as good as they think they are until they PROVE IT on the field. The Katrina remark was a tad insensitive, but then Dan Hampton was never known for that attribute.

From fifi09 : I think Mr. Hampton owes the folks from Louisiana an apology. That was the most inappropriate and egregious comment he had ever said. He must have forgotten how "Katrina" devastated people's homes and took away over 1,800 lives.

From dfl4701: That "Cowboys" joke is not offensive to me as a Cowboys fan. However, I know it is offensive to many other people who feels the jokes just continue the continuous judgment from man kind. The joke just carries the tradition of hate regardless of how one feels about another being gay.

The 'Katrina' joke was even more offensive. This guy obviously has a ton of judgments in his heart or he would not be walking around saying this kind of stuff. Furthermore, it shows the attitude of the others he is around on that show because that stuff does not just come out of thin air all of the sudden.

I have sent my complaints in and also to the NFL who gives them such rights under certain contracts.

From Free California: I'm a Cowboy's fan, don't like to hear disparaging remarks about my team. But you know what, until this team truly kicks some respectable tail, this is what you get. Easy pickings for blowhard loudmouths. You don't want to be fodder for some 3rd rate sports humorist? Don't be a joke when you hit the field.

From newmexicomike: That's the funniest thing I've heard in a long time. I get such a kick out of those "Brokeback" references. Really funny stuff!

From Dman : Yeah, in order to get noticed amongst the 350 low rate cable sports shows, you pretty much have to make a fool out of yourself. I'm not sure where he pulled the "what they think they are worth" comment. If there is a team out there right now that doesn't have aspirations to make it to the Super Bowl, they're the gutless ones.

From thinkso: This Dan guy sounds like he just wants to say things that cause some controversy. But he hit the nail on the head about their guts. They haven't exhibited so far. Let's wait for the season to begin and see if they are really back in the saddle. I don't think so....

From timely hitting: It’s funny reading all the comments from these kids who don't remember Dan Hampton, or the dominance of the '85 Bears (who, if the Dolphins hadn't caught lightning in a bottle during a Monday night game, would have become the only 19 - 0 team in the modern era).

I guess most of these youngins think the NFL never existed before Tony Romo started gagging in one playoff game after another.

From VastRightWingConspirator : Describing the Cows as "Brokeback" is an insult to Jake Gyllenhaal and Heath Ledger.

From JDuro: Hampton should know about teams that thought too much of themselves and were underachievers. Those mid '80s Bears were so talented and dominant in 1985, they should have gone on to multiple championships and established a dynasty in the '80s. Instead they were just a mere one hit wonder, underachieving team of egos.

Now Hampton is a burnout loser on some television show that is one notch above cable access with a bunch of nobodies.

From cowboy61 : The Cowboys don't compare themselves to Clint Eastwood or anything else. They are an Original American Sports Icon and one of a kind. The only one with ‘Brokeback’ on the mind appears to be Dan Hampton. Interesting. The Katrina comment just shows how little class and intelligence Hampton has.

• • •

Top Bottom