dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
2015 NFL Draft: Cobb, Flowers among underrated on annual Rang's Gang

By Rob Rang | The Sports Xchange/CBSSports.com

April 17, 2015 11:28 am ET

In scouting hundreds of players in preparation for the NFL Draft, it's impossible not to develop some favorites.

Rang's Gang is the collective answer to the question I'm most often asked: "If you were running a team and you needed a (insert position), who would you take?"

There's only one rule -- no consensus first-round prospects. Anyone can compile a list of the top players per position and call them "can't-miss" prospects.

The players that make Rang's Gang are a collection of prospects who are underrated, come from smaller programs or will make their impact in the NFL through hustle, determination and doing all the little things. Perhaps not surprising given the relative strengths of their positions in the 2015 draft class, running back David Cobb (Minnesota), wideout Vince Mayle (Washington State) and defensive end Trey Flowers (Arkansas) personify the grit and production necessary to earn a spot on my squad.

I've been writing Rang's Gang articles for years. One of my favorites was back in 2008. You can see some of the more recent teams by clicking these years: (2012), (2013), (2014)

Without any further ado, here is this year's squad.

OFFENSE

QB: Garrett Grayson, 6-2, 213, 4.75, Colorado State
Athletic and accurate with a strong enough arm to make every throw in the pro-style offense he ran in new Florida head coach Jim McElwain's pro-style scheme at Colorado State, Grayson ranks as one of the more pro-ready passers in this year's relatively weak class. Grayson struggles when pressured and therefore I wouldn't invest more than a mid-third-round pick on him but he -- not Baylor's Bryce Petty or Oregon State's Sean Mannion -- was the most impressive quarterback at the Senior Bowl.

RB: David Cobb, 5-11, 229, 4.73, Minnesota
Did you see that 40-yard dash time? Ugly, huh? Place Cobb in the zone-scheme in which his vision, balance and burst fit best and he'll be just fine. Don't mention that Cobb's 10-yard split (1.64) was just two-hundredths of a second slower than Wisconsin speedster Melvin Gordon. There are elements of Cobb's game that remind me of Houston's Arian Foster, who (oh, by the way) was clocked at 4.69.

TE: Jesse James, 6-7, 261, 4.69, Penn State: Sure, I'll admit that the name was cool enough to intrigue me from the start but there is an "outlaw-like" quality to James' game that stands out in comparison to the other tight ends in this year's relatively weak group. James, frankly, was under-utilized in Penn State's offense and I think he'll prove more effective in the NFL if for nothing else because of his height, leaping ability and ball skills as a red zone target. His 10-1 broad jump and 37½-inch vertical finished first and second, respectively, among tight ends at the combine this year.

WR: Vince Mayle, 6-2, 225, 4.65, Washington State
As you can see from his 40 time, Mayle lacks home-run speed. I see a combination of size, balance, strength and toughness, however, that suggests the former juco basketball convert could prove a poor man's Anquan Boldin. Need an example of Mayle's toughness? He didn't drop a ball during his combine pass-catching drill (or Senior Bowl, for that matter) despite competing with a broken right thumb.

OT: Donovan Smith, 6-6, 338, 5.01, Penn State
Smith, along with Oregon's Jake Fisher and Colorado State's Ty Sambrailo, is a prospect who I anticipate is available in the second round but ultimately emerges as an NFL starter. I liked Smith on tape and was even more impressed when scouting him in person at the Senior Bowl.

Interior OL: Laken Tomlinson, 6-3, 323, 5.22, Duke
Given that he started all 52 games of his collegiate career and earned All-ACC honors the past three years, Tomlinson is hardly an unknown. He is a prospect who must be placed into the right scheme to enjoy similar success in the NFL. Tomlinson lacks great agility and balance so he'll struggle in a zone scheme that asks him to block on the move. Instead, run behind him as he drives defenders off the ball.

DEFENSE

DE: Trey Flowers, 6-2, 266, 4.85, Arkansas
Flowers lacks ideal height but his disproportionately long arms (34¼ inches), strength and toughness make him one of this year's better overall defensive ends -- and considering the talent among edge rushers in 2015, that's quite the accomplishment. A three-year starter and two-time second-team All-SEC defender, Flowers ranks among the most underrated prospects in the entire 2015 draft.

DT/NG: David Parry, 6-1, 308, 5.38, Stanford: As the NFL increasingly shifts toward the pass, run-stuffers like Parry have a tendency to slip on draft day. They still have a place in the NFL, however, and this former walk-on plays with the intensity and strength to "surprise" as a Day 3 or even free-agent pick who will make an NFL roster.

Edge rusher: Hau'oli Kikaha, Washington
Like fellow Pac-12 competitor Parry, the key with Kikaha is placing him in a role in which he can win. A former judo champion and wrestler, Kikaha is effective off the edge because he uses his powerful, active hands to chop through blockers' attempts to latch onto him. He is quicker than fast and lacks ideal flexibility and awareness in coverage but if allowed to simply rush the quarterback, Kikaha (who led the nation with 19 sacks last season) will outplay his likely Day 3 selection.

Traditional LB (off line of scrimmage): Denzel Perryman, 5-11, 236, 4.68, Miami
Like Parry, Perryman could be a victim of the fact that the NFL is becoming increasingly pass-happy. As Perryman's somewhat pedestrian 40-yard dash time indicates, he isn't an elite athlete and can be victimized in coverage. He is one of the few linebackers in this year's class, however, who isn't afraid to take on blockers and Perryman consistently wins these battles, showing impressive instincts, strength and toughness.

Nickel CB: Steven Nelson, 5-10, 197, 4.43, Oregon State
I think you could make the case that Nelson is the most underrated cornerback in this year's draft class. Pound for pound, he might be the toughest of this year's corners, showing equal tenacity and aggression against both the run and the pass. His instincts and quickness helped Nelson record 24 passes broken up in just two seasons of FBS play after signing with the Beavers as a highly regarded juco prospect.

Perimeter CB: Ladarius Gunter, 6-1, 202, 4.62, Miami
While OSU's Nelson is ideally suited to the inside because of his relatively stout frame, Gunter's lanky build makes him a better candidate to remain on the perimeter. Now, let's be clear, Gunter does not possess the agility or recovery speed to fit every scheme. In the press scheme so en vogue in today's NFL, however, Gunter's size, physicality and competitiveness could someday help him emerge as a starting-caliber corner (or safety) after being drafted in the middle to late stages of Day 3.

S: Josh Shaw, 6-0, 201, 4.34, Southern Cal

After his scintillating (if somewhat under-reported) combine workout that included not only blazing through the 40-yard dash but also a DB-leading 26 repetitions of 225 pounds, 37½-inch vertical and 10-10 broad jump, Shaw successfully took the spotlight off of a bizarre off-season fabrication about saving a drowning nephew. The workout makes Shaw look capable of remaining at cornerback but after watching Shaw closely during Senior Bowl drills, I have reservations about his fluidity. While certainly possessing the straight-line speed to handle perimeter duties, Shaw lacks the change of direction that I believe is critical to success at cornerback. He's instinctive, highly physical and a reliable tackler, however, which I believe makes him one of this year's better safety prospects.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I know we have much bigger needs than TE but I would be thrilled if we picked up Jesse James. I think he is going to be a tough match-up for people.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Still love David Cobb. Didn't realize Flowers had "fallen" that far.

And from the other similar thread, still like Lockett from KSU. Guess he'd play Beasley's role so maybe there's not a need there, but he'd be a good punt returner for us with the Giants overpaying Harris.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Still love David Cobb. Didn't realize Flowers had "fallen" that far.

And from the other similar thread, still like Lockett from KSU. Guess he'd play Beasley's role so maybe there's not a need there, but he'd be a good punt returner for us with the Giants overpaying Harris.
I agree about Cobb. Grayson's a good developmental prospect. I like that story on Mayle too, catching everything thrown to him without a single drop, with a broken thumb.

Top Bottom