dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Being a mole who outs yourself makes you a certified moron.

it actually happened because you clowns wouldnt police the moles we had here, otherwise he'd have never found out

Reaction score
Player Pos. School Grade
1. Jameis Winston* QB Florida St 97
2. Leonard Williams* DE USC 96
3. Amari Cooper* WR Alabama 94
4. Kevin White WR W Virginia 93
5. Dante Fowler Jr.* DE Florida 93
6. Marcus Mariota* QB Oregon 93
7. Brandon Scherff OT Iowa 93
8. DeVante Parker WR Louisville 92
9. Todd Gurley* RB Georgia 92
10. Arik Armstead* DE Oregon 91
11. Randy Gregory* OLB Nebraska 91
12. Trae Waynes* CB Michigan St 91
13. Andrus Peat* OT Stanford 91
14. Danny Shelton DT Washington 90
15. Breshad Perriman* WR UCF 90
16. Cameron Erving C Florida St 90
17. Shane Ray* OLB Missouri 90
18. Malcom Brown* DT Texas 90
19. Ereck Flowers* OT Miami (FL) 90
20. La'el Collins OT LSU 90
21. Melvin Gordon* RB Wisconsin 90
22. Marcus Peters* CB Washington 90
23. Landon Collins* S Alabama 90
24. Kevin Johnson CB Wake Forest 89
25. Bud Dupree OLB Kentucky 89
26. Eddie Goldman* DT Florida St 89
27. Jaelen Strong* WR Arizona St 89
28. D.J. Humphries* OT Florida 89
29. Nelson Agholor* WR USC 89
30. Eric Kendricks ILB UCLA 88
31. Devin Smith WR Ohio State 88
32. Phillip Dorsett WR Miami (FL) 88

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, of all the players to draft in this upcoming first round, which players (reasonably regarded as top 32 quality) would you have a problem or complaint with Jerry drafting?

They could take any player in the top 100 in the 1st, Dave will still find an article from 2 years ago where some shithead gave such and such a first round grade.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, of all the players to draft in this upcoming first round, which players (reasonably regarded as top 32 quality) would you have a problem or complaint with Jerry drafting?

complaining about Jerry is a thought crime

bvhawkeye

In the Rotation
Reaction score
No way that will happen

With Jerry ANYTHING is possible. Remember we used a 1st round pick on a player that other teams had 6th round grades on... Shante Carver.

Also remember the "I'm so cute and smart I'll keep trading back" draft

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
With Jerry ANYTHING is possible. Remember we used a 1st round pick on a player that other teams had 6th round grades on... Shante Carver.

Eh. I don't know where teams had guys rated (nobody in an internet forum really knows) but I do know where all the draft guides/gurus had him rated, and he was rated UNIVERSALLY as a late 1st or early 2nd rd pick. The guy had double digit sacks all four year at a major university. He could play, but he washed him self out with alcohol abuse, a problem that nobody apparently knew he had.

And yes, I still have the draft guides. One former dumbass poster on here (who thought he knew it all, and still does today) refused to believe that his Lord and Savior Mel Kiper had him rated high. I reprinted the entire review of Carver word for word, and he still refused to believe it. Then I even offered to copy the article and mail it or fax it to him, and he shut his piehole and never said another word.

Its easy to do a hindsight thing every yr. Some picks work out, some don't. Its a crapshoot. Some mediocre players can be coached up, some really talented guys cant ever figure it out regardless of who coaches them. In 1994 we had a deal in place to trade Alvin Harper and our 1st rd pick to the Rams to move up for Willie McGinest, but the Patriots surprised a lot of people and took him before he fell to the Rams. Obviously things would have been a lot different had that worked out.

Also remember the "I'm so cute and smart I'll keep trading back" draft

I think that works out ok if 1) Its a deep draft with a lot of decent talent in the middle rounds and 2) You have a strong scouting department that the decision maker will listen to. Neither one of those things were the case in 2009

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

Player Pos. School Grade
1. Jameis Winston* QB Florida St 97
2. Leonard Williams* DE USC 96
3. Amari Cooper* WR Alabama 94
4. Kevin White WR W Virginia 93
5. Dante Fowler Jr.* DE Florida 93
6. Marcus Mariota* QB Oregon 93
7. Brandon Scherff OT Iowa 93
8. DeVante Parker WR Louisville 92
9. Todd Gurley* RB Georgia 92
10. Arik Armstead* DE Oregon 91
11. Randy Gregory* OLB Nebraska 91
12. Trae Waynes* CB Michigan St 91
13. Andrus Peat* OT Stanford 91
14. Danny Shelton DT Washington 90
15. Breshad Perriman* WR UCF 90
16. Cameron Erving C Florida St 90
17. Shane Ray* OLB Missouri 90
18. Malcom Brown* DT Texas 90
19. Ereck Flowers* OT Miami (FL) 90
20. La'el Collins OT LSU 90
21. Melvin Gordon* RB Wisconsin 90
22. Marcus Peters* CB Washington 90
23. Landon Collins* S Alabama 90
24. Kevin Johnson CB Wake Forest 89
25. Bud Dupree OLB Kentucky 89
26. Eddie Goldman* DT Florida St 89
27. Jaelen Strong* WR Arizona St 89
28. D.J. Humphries* OT Florida 89
29. Nelson Agholor* WR USC 89
30. Eric Kendricks ILB UCLA 88
31. Devin Smith WR Ohio State 88
32. Phillip Dorsett WR Miami (FL) 88

A lot of these guys we have no shot whatsoever to draft. I bolded guys I don't like and wouldn't pick regardless of where we selected.

I didn't bold Gregory or Ray, but because of their stupidity I'd have to think really long and hard about drafting them even if they fell in our laps at 27. I don't think the stupidity can be coached out of them either. I bolded both those QB's because I believe both will be busts. One because he is a peanut brain and the other because I don't think he fits NFL offenses. I wouldn't love the idea of any WR at 27. If they took one there because said guy was head and shoulders rated above players at other positions of obvious need (RB, DE, CB, LB, DT) then so be it, or if they are trying to protect themselves against losing Dez Bryant (maybe they fear they can never sign him to a long term deal that they feel is within reason) then so be it, but it wouldn't be my preference.

I floated it out there that I wondered what they'd do if they got stuck at 27 and the highest rated guys were OT's, if they might take one even after spending 3 of last 4 top picks on OL. It wouldn't be a sexy move and some might complain loudly, but Free is 30+ and coming off a season in which he missed half the yr. They have absolutely nothing on this roster to replace him or Tyron Smith in the event of injury, and certainly don't have Free's replacement down the road on the team.

Other than the bolded guys, maybe Gregory/Ray and the WR's (and any TE or QB) there isn't much they can do to screw it up IMO. We need DE's, we need CB's, we obviously need a #1 RB, we could use a true FS, we need LB depth and potentially a starter there. DT makes a lot of sense.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Whoever we draft david will love it.

Shante Carver sucked. It was a bad trade and the beginning of a more-than-decade long clusterf*ck of Jerry trying to be cute in the draft.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

Shante Carver sucked. It was a bad trade and the beginning of a more-than-decade long clusterf*ck of Jerry trying to be cute in the draft.

I wouldn't disagree we shouldn't have moved up the 3 or 4 spots to get the guy, he might have fell in our laps. But everyone knew they wanted a potential starting DE because of Haley's back situation. He barely made it through the 93 season and I think he managed just 4 or 4 1/2 sacks for the year.

Somewhat ironically, Haley's 94 season I think was statistically his best and he was having a great 95 season before the back caught up with him again.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

And by the way fuck you and the rest of your fucktards with this shit.

I guess I could say no matter who we draft you guys will complain, right?

I rarely LOVE any draft when it happens, because you usually don't know for sure for 2-3 seasons whether you got good players or value where you took them. Everybody (including me) hated and complained about the Hitchens pick last yr, he ended up being a nice pick and looks like a player with a decent career ahead of him. Almost everyone thought the Claiborne trade was great when it happened. He's proven to be a massive bust.

They've had plenty of awful drafts since Jimmy left. If not for Larry Allen 1994 would have been a colossal fail. 1995 was as bad a draft as a team could have. (to me this was worse than the utter fail of 2009, because they started the day with all their own picks and from epic poor personnel decisions in the 2nd rd, blowing 3 picks), they only got 1 quality player out of the 96 draft and made one of the all time stupid decisions to pass on Tony Brackens (a guy we had rated as a top-15 pick that yr) to trade down and then blow both picks on scrubs Pittman and Shiver, 2000 and 2001 were epic fails, 2004 with Parcells running the draft was awful, 2006 with Parcells again running it was lousy, 2009 was horrible.

Since then though the drafting has steadily improved. Other than the Claiborne year of course.

bvhawkeye

In the Rotation
Reaction score
I have all the Mel Kiper and Pro Football Weekly draft books since 1989 myself buddy...

And your "argument" proves my point... that ANYTHING can happen with Jerry in the war room.

Dallas drafts the last few years have improved greatly, but each year is a new gamble.

I'll wait to cheer or boo the Cowboys until after the draft.

I recall Carver being very highly rated by online/books. I also recall Antonio Richardson out of Tennessee being mocked anywhere from the 2nd to the 3rd and he wasn't even drafted...

Like I said, anything can happen....

And if you expect everyone on a message board to constantly agree with you, keep guessing....

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
And if you expect everyone on a message board to constantly agree with you, keep guessing....

I really don't care if people agree with me or not to be honest. Its a message board, everyone has their own opinions.

What I shared with the Leader of the Turds (he self exiled himself to CZ) about Carver wasn't an "opinion". He said nobody had the guy rated high (which is part of the revisionist history a lot of people have, especially when it comes to players who don't pan out) and I showed where his own sacred cow Kiper had the guy rated high and he even said "one of my favorite players in the draft"

Top Bottom