Reaction score
If you've been caught up in the whirlwind that has been the Cowboys' run to the playoffs this year, you might have forgotten that someone other than Ezekiel Elliott wore the No. 21 jersey last season: Running back Joseph Randle.

Randle appeared to be a rising star with the Cowboys before a series of legal issues led to his release by the team in the middle of the 2015 season. He is currently in jail awaiting trial on numerous charges, including aggravated battery and criminal destruction of property.

In a recent profile in Sports Illustrated, family and friends of Randle raised the question of whether football-related injuries contributed to his rapid downward spiral.

There were warning signs earlier in the 2015 season, like paranoia, gambling and drinking issues. But those close to him like his then-girlfriend and the mother of his child Avina Rodriguez point to his last game with the Cowboys, when the team played the Giants on the road. On his second carry of that game, Randle appeared to hit his head on the turf. He was pulled from the game with what the Cowboys described as a "rib/muscle strain."

Rodriguez told Sports Illustrated that when Randle returned to Dallas he began displaying some odd behavior -- pacing, paranoia and difficulty remembering conversations and even Cowboys play calls.

"I asked him multiple times: Did you pass the concussion test? Do you have a concussion?" Rodriguez told Sports Illustrated. "And he would kind of gaze out--you know when people daydream? It felt like he was daydreaming a lot. I'm like, Joseph, what's going on?"

Another close associate told Sports Illustrated, "I'd look him in the eye, and he just wasn't the same guy. I was looking into his soul like, Joe, where's the guy I know?"

Rodriguez told Sports Illustrated that after the Cowboys tried to get Randle to seek psychiatric help she confronted them to ask if he had passed concussion tests. The team told her that he had not displayed symptoms at the time of the injury but had not run any additional tests on Randle.

But Cowboys team-fixer David Wells told Sports Illustrated, "I think Joseph Randle is suffering from some kind of concussion-type mental s---, man."

Randle never played with the Cowboys again. After being left off the active roster for the Cowboys' next game, the running back went with former Dallas defensive end Charles Haley to see a psychiatrist. The next morning, he was cut by the Cowboys, possibly because the organization knew of a looming domestic violence suspension for the running back.

It was after that that Randle returned to his hometown of Wichita, Kansas, where he was later arrested for criminal threat, criminal property damage, unlawful possession of a controlled substance, aggravated burglary and four counts of aggravated battery for an incident at a party.

Rodriguez felt like the Cowboys cut Randle when he needed the team's support system the most.

"That organization and that team preached so much about how they were a family," Rodriguez told Sports Illustrated. "We had to go to all these dinners and meetings. . . . How can [they] preach so much on [family] but be about it so little?

"If Jerry [Jones] was really concerned about [Joseph's] mental health, he would have helped him along instead of just releasing him and saying, I can wash my hands of it."

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
There were warning signs earlier in the 2015 season, like paranoia, gambling and drinking issues.

I remember when I was playing football back in 9th grade, I got smacked with a crackback block and knocked on my ass. I immediately had the urge to hit the slot machines, now it all makes sense.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
laying the groundwork for a lawsuit against the NFL or the Cowboys :lol

you're not sick; you're just an asshole.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
He had issues in college, we just didn't hear about it. I remember hearing ok state people saying what a weird bird he was back then. Even Garrett made fun of him in that beach incident for being an airhead.

If anything, sounds like the team better watch out for calling a concussion a hip injury. Not that any league investigation would come to anything.

Reaction score
I read the SI article not that long ago. It went into great detail about how the team tried to get him to sit out a few weeks and go see a psychologist, etc, but Randle wanted nothing to do with it.

We're a football organization, paying guys a shit ton of money to play a game. We're not a daycare.

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
Of course, gotta be somebody else's fault

That Okie State locker room must have been a barrel of whack jobs with Randle, Dez, Blackmon and Weeden cycling through there. Coach Gundy not exactly stable either, IMO.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
They did try to help him. Numerous times. He had no desire to help himself. Teams can preach family and for the most part they are however at the end of the day it's a business. He kept getting arrested and had the domestic violence charge coming down. They had to cut ties. If anything they waited too long.

English Cowboy

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Cowboys really need to do a better job of digging into the off-field background of these players before they draft them. The red flags were always there with Randle. He should never have been on their draft board.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Cowboys really need to do a better job of digging into the off-field background of these players before they draft them. The red flags were always there with Randle. He should never have been on their draft board.

With the way they've been drafting the last couple of years I don't expect guys like Randle will be on their draft board again.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Typical victim mentality.
Yep, it couldn't possibly have anything to do with the "purple drank" shit that started going around about the same time this stupid fuck Randle started 'daydreaming.'

Top Bottom