bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
does he not have a family member who can pull him out of this abyss?

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I don't think there was anything out there. I don't remember any of the pre draft write ups mentioning any off the field red flags. I still have my old stuff, I may try to dig it up and see but from what I remember he had no issues anyone mentioned.

I work with a guy that went to OSU and is a huge OSU homer. He hates hearing about former OSU players having troubles. He has also said that its weird that Randle is having all these problems now because he NEVER got in trouble while at OSU. He also doesn't come from a broken home. His parent played a very active role in his youth. All of these troubles didn't start until after he got to the NFL.

I have a couple theories... Either one, he was just too broke to be into any real trouble while in college or he really could be showing the beginnings of CTE. They will never know that though until after he's dead. With the way his life is going though we won't have to wait too long to find out.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Was reading something a few mins ago that says he is checking in for mental health help.

Sounds like he has major issues.

Drake

Spectator
Reaction score
This is seriously the top post? Murray was traded. The draft is coming up.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
This is seriously the top post? Murray was traded. The draft is coming up.

all the free agent stuff is in a separate thread

unlike CZ, there's no need to start a separate thread every time someone is released and say "xyz just got released, should we pursue???!!!!!"

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I work with a guy that went to OSU and is a huge OSU homer. He hates hearing about former OSU players having troubles. He has also said that its weird that Randle is having all these problems now because he NEVER got in trouble while at OSU. He also doesn't come from a broken home. His parent played a very active role in his youth. All of these troubles didn't start until after he got to the NFL.
I'd heard an old Okie State coach say that Randle was a knucklehead right after that draft. Predraft I didn't hear anything either, but I guess those really in the know had heard. OSU must have done a great job of keeping it quiet.

onlyonenow

In the Rotation
Reaction score
I'd heard an old Okie State coach say that Randle was a knucklehead right after that draft. Predraft I didn't hear anything either, but I guess those really in the know had heard. OSU must have done a great job of keeping it quiet.

bottom line is that the scout failed. You cannot tell me there was not some signs of all this and he just flat out missed them. Or it could also be that Jerruh just thought he was being a kid and things would be fine once he was with the boys. I think that might be the more likely scenario; but if there was NOTHING in the scouts report indicating problems then that scout needs to go.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I'd bet something was in the report, but it may have been nothing more than things a lot of college kids do.

And of course Jerry thought he'd be fine once he was here. If he thought it with Pacman and Hardy he'd think it with some relatively minor issues like Randle had. CALVIN HILL!

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
bottom line is that the scout failed. You cannot tell me there was not some signs of all this and he just flat out missed them. Or it could also be that Jerruh just thought he was being a kid and things would be fine once he was with the boys. I think that might be the more likely scenario; but if there was NOTHING in the scouts report indicating problems then that scout needs to go.

Massive over-reaction to a guy drafted in the 5th rd.

Again I don't recall anything negative out there on this guy at all. The biggest question I remember was he had somewhat of a skinny build and they knew he'd need to fill out a little to stay at RB.

Reaction score
All of the above may justify the decision to draft Randle, but what about last year's decision to count on Randle (along with some quality snaps with McFadden) to replace Murray?

How do you manage to avoid adding a quality RB in a rich RB 2015 draft when you know just how unstable Randle is?

This goes beyond poor judgement. The front office has committed malpractice.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
All of the above may justify the decision to draft Randle, but what about last year's decision to count on Randle (along with some quality snaps with McFadden) to replace Murray?
There is absolutely zero excuse for that. Even beside his knuckleheadedness, he's just not that good.

Rolling with Randle was pure ego. They wanted to prove how great their OL was and how smart they were in drafting Randle. (Plus Jerry's mancrush on McFadden didn't help.)

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

How do you manage to avoid adding a quality RB in a rich RB 2015 draft when you know just how unstable Randle is?

This goes beyond poor judgement. The front office has committed malpractice.

If Gregory hadn't been there, they were going to take a RB then. Broaddus also mentioned it again this past week.

But you're right, he was a knucklehead the season before so counting on him was poor judgement on their behalf.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
If Gregory hadn't been there, they were going to take a RB then. Broaddus also mentioned it again this past week.

But you're right, he was a knucklehead the season before so counting on him was poor judgement on their behalf.

I agree that Gregory being there threw a wrench into their draft plans. At the time I can see how he seemed too good to pass up. But they really should have stuck to their board and draft the best RB available at the time.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I agree that Gregory being there threw a wrench into their draft plans. At the time I can see how he seemed too good to pass up. But they really should have stuck to their board and draft the best RB available at the time.

Sticking to their board is exactly why they drafted Gregory. They couldn't pass on a guy rated in their top 10 that was available at 60.

Reaction score
The Cowboys decided that they trusted the knuckleheaded Randle enough to draft the knuckleheaded Gregory.

So how's that working out for them?

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Sticking to their board is exactly why they drafted Gregory. They couldn't pass on a guy rated in their top 10 that was available at 60.

True, I meant their board minus Gregory though.

I was looking over the last several players that were drafted after Gregory (until the Cowboys drafted Chaz in the 3rd) and none of those guys really make me think "damn, we could of had him instead!". I mean Tyler Lockett, and Duke Johnson could have helped but I'm not exactly upset we didn't draft them.

Top Bottom