dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
According to Archer, Garrett only committed to Cassel being the starting QB "this week"

I wonder if the offense is really bad again if Kellen Moore is actually going to get in a game (maybe in relief vs Philly) and then get the start vs TB. Archer didn't mention Moore playing this week, but did speculate another loss would likely get Cassel benched for Tampa.

If Romo does return in three weeks vs Miami one of the backups is almost assuredly going to get cut. Archer wondered if Cassel might be back with the team next yr as the backup, and thought it was likely Weeden or Moore gets released. Not sure of what details were involved in Cassel trade, but if him being on the roster X amount of games is one of the conditions, if he stinks and gets benched it would seem to make sense to release him and recoup the pick we gave up to Buffalo.

Either way, I cant really see him being the backup next yr based on what we've seen so far. He's been dreadful.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Archer wondered if Cassel might be back with the team next yr as the backup,

I believe they're just stupid enough to do that. After all, can't waste that draft pick we forked over! :facepalm

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I can't imagine anyone but Cassel starting vs the Bucs no matter how he plays this week. I'd be shocked if Moore ever saw the field.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I can't imagine anyone but Cassel starting vs the Bucs no matter how he plays this week. I'd be shocked if Moore ever saw the field.

I'm with you, but that's what is out there.

I also keep reading that Linehan really likes Moore, has anyone actually heard him say that or know when he said it? I haven't seen Moore play sicne he was at Boise St and while he did a good job for them, all I remember is a really, really weak armed undersized QB that nobody wanted in the draft.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Here's a blurb from NFL.com when he was released:

Lions cut Kellen Moore, Joseph Fauria, George Winn

By Chris Wesseling
Around the NFL Writer
Published: Sept. 5, 2015 at 12:57 p.m.
Updated: Sept. 5, 2015 at 06:35 p.m.

Kellen Moore is out of a job after the Detroit Lions gave him an opportunity to unseat Dan Orlovsky for the backup quarterback spot.

Moore and tight end Joseph Fauria were among the Lions' cuts on Saturday, the team confirmed.

Moore completed 29 of 47 passes (61.7 percent) for 254 yards (5.4 YPA), one touchdown, one interception and a 74.2 passer rating in four preseason games.

One of the most successful quarterbacks in NCAA history, he simply doesn't have the size and arm strength to consistently squeeze NFL throws into tight windows.

Fauria had ongoing issues with a nagging ankle injury this offseason after the 6-foot-7 red-zone threat slipped while chasing his puppy -- Lil' Rufio -- down the stairs of his house last September.

His fate was sealed when the Lions traded for former Buccaneers and Patriots tight end Tim Wright early in the week.

Detroit also cut running back George Winn, which likely locks Zach Zenner into a roster spot after the impressive undrafted free-agent rookie led the league in preseason rushing yards.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

Ding ding ding

There is no way we see Moore for the Bucks game unless Cassel shits the bed in spectacular fashion (i.e.: 4 INTS)

It would have to be such a bad showing for Cassel that they would have no choice but to put Moore in.

I doubt we ever see Weeden with a star on his helmet on an NFL field again. He will get cut when Tony comes back to make room. I think they see Moore as future potential, Cassel as a necessity for now, and Weeden as a failure.

Reaction score
he simply doesn't have the size and arm strength to consistently squeeze NFL throws into tight windows.

Squeezing the throw into tight windows is kind of a big deal with this offense. Weeden overthrew or gave such a wind up that almost the entire defense could see where the throw was going and inhibit any effects of a completion. Cassel floats the ball when there's a tight window. And worst of all, Beasley thrives on the tight window space, which I'm convinced has been one of the main reasons (other than being mauled in the secondary) that his production is down. He is open, but he is Romo-open, not really Cassel open.

Reaction score
I love how a shitty career 3rd string QB is now evaluating players at the position. Excellent.

Reaction score
The TB game is our best chance to win a game without Romo. If Moore starts that one as his first start, I'd call that a give up.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
He's as lousy as a talent evaluator as he is an OC and HC. Which is odd, because being that he's the son of a scout, you would think that he would have a better grasp at that.

Top Bottom