junk

UDFA
Reaction score
ok, if these guns would not be effective, why make them illegal? if you're trying to get the biggest bang for the buck, you're going after the least used weapon used in committing crimes.

it's like getting the top 10 fatal diseases and picking the one least likely to kill anyone and going after it with vigor. more people were killed with shotguns in 2010 than rifles. also, by rifles, this includes *all* rifles, not just assault.

it's crazy to me. so it looks "military" - give me evidence where it causes more harm than handguns. or do most feel you'd never be able to get rid of handguns (of which did the most damage by far on 2010) so go after what you can scare people with?

Where have I argued about making anything illegal?

Iamtdg

Reaction score
I don't think it is a strawman. I'm legitimately trying to understand this scenario that is being imagined where you'd need a gun for this purpose.

Well, you would hope it would never happen. Let's take this a step further and maybe into a different scenario even. Imagine if China (insert any future big power nation) finally decided they were headed over and they dropped 5 million of their army's troops onto our soil. Their mission to do nothing but kill as many citizens as possible as they can; with the sole intention of breaking down the will of the people. We have already banned all of our heavy weapons and the people are forced to try and defend themselves with nothing but handguns.

May sound looney, but it's not as far out of the realm of possibility as it might seem on the surface.

Minimalist

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm saying that if you feel you need to own a gun to protect yourself from a tyrannical government, it makes you come across a little looney. Like I've said, what is this scenario that Jethro and Jim Bob are going to save 'merica from a tyrannical government?

The thing to keep in mind is that the people that are pushing for gun control, in most cases, know little to nothing about guns (as has been stated in this thread). So when they hear that gun advocates want them to protect themselves against the government, they probably immediately think of militias and Branch Davidians. I'm just saying that argument doesn't help your cause no matter how much you might believe it.

I have no idea where you came up with this. Where did I advocate that people shouldn't have locks on their doors?

My point about the locked doors is that you have them even though you're probably never going to use them/need them. It's a plan for the worst case scenario. Guns to protect citizens from a tyrannical government sounds absolutely ridiculous but it also sounds ridiculous to say it couldn't happen. Guns have the potential to be a plan for the absolute worst case scenario. The point also comes from a deep respect for the constitution. You know, that thing that has done such a horrible job for us so far.

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
Well, you would hope it would never happen. Let's take this a step further and maybe into a different scenario even. Imagine if China (insert any future big power nation) finally decided they were headed over and they dropped 5 million of their army's troops onto our soil. Their mission to do nothing but kill as many citizens as possible as they can; with the sole intention of breaking down the will of the people. We have already banned all of our heavy weapons and the people are forced to try and defend themselves with nothing but handguns.

May sound looney, but it's not as far out of the realm of possibility as it might seem on the surface.

It is absolutely outside the realm of possibility. :lol

How is China going to "drop" 5 million troops on our soil? We'd know as soon as they started amassing troops, loading them on ships, etc. That'd be a air/naval battle before they got halfway across the ocean and we'd have plenty of time to position our troops to defend our borders. Then we could worry about arming the masses.

Minimalist

Practice Squad
Reaction score

How is China going to "drop" 5 million troops on our soil? We'd know as soon as they started amassing troops, loading them on ships, etc. That'd be a air/naval battle before they got halfway across the ocean and we'd have plenty of time to position our troops to defend our borders. Then we could worry about arming the masses.

You're a last second planner aren't you? Saving everything until the last minute.

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/04/11/gun-bill-clears-senate-hurdle-as-filibuster-falls-short/

Controversial gun legislation cleared a key Senate hurdle Thursday, as lawmakers voted 68-31 to start debate on the package which includes expanded background checks and new penalties for gun trafficking.

"The hard work starts now," Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said after Thursday's vote.

He assured Democrats that a proposal to renew the assault weapons ban and a ban on high-capacity magazines would get a vote as an amendment, though it was dropped from the main bill amid intense opposition. The main bill also includes a measure to increase school safety funding.

As usual, a lot of talk and the end result is very limited change. I have no problem with background checks, waiting periods or gun registration.

Yes, I agree, it places a heavier burden on people that are largely law abiding and those that are going to break laws probably won't acquire guns legally anyway. However, I still don't see an issue with this. I wouldn't have problems with mandatory education for first time gun owners either.

I mean, you have to register your car, why is it a big deal to register your gun?

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
You're a last second planner aren't you? Saving everything until the last minute.

LOL

Let's get those troops to the border for that imminent Chinese invasion. Fortunately, Bubba and Jethro will deter the Chinese horde from the back of their Ford pickup truck with their rifles.

Might be time to return that copy of Red Dawn.

Minimalist

Practice Squad
Reaction score
LOL

Let's get those troops to the border for that imminent Chinese invasion. Fortunately, Bubba and Jethro will deter the Chinese horde from the back of their Ford pickup truck with their rifles.

Might be time to return that copy of Red Dawn.

Lol no way. Too good to return.

So not only are you a last minute planner but you're also overly dependent. ;)

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
Lol no way. Too good to return.

So not only are you a last minute planner but you're also overly dependent. ;)

Not really. I just think there are better ways to organize something like that even if it is a far fetched hypothetical.

I grew up in a very pro-gun state. I used guns at a very young age and grew up with them. I actually have no issues with guns as long as people are educated and responsible with them. I don't have any at the moment because I have no desire to hunt where I'm at and I don't really have time/interest in target shooting, but I do believe people should have the right to own them. Gun laws aren't going to prevent a Sandy Hook or Aurora and, honestly, I feel like gun legislation is mainly just a lot of posturing.

However, of all the pro-gun arguments, I find the ones about defending ourselves against a hostile government or a hostile invading force the most ridiculous and amusing. I don't think it helps with the general populace and really does conjure visions of Branch Davidians. I do think some gun advocates go a little overboard with their rhetoric.

Also, the NRA should just lock Charlton Heston away somewhere.....he isn't helping either.

Iamtdg

Reaction score

Sweet, so they will give us our guns back just as soon as they load the first person on a boat?

Good to know. I surrender.

Minimalist

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Not really. I just think there are better ways to organize something like that even if it is a far fetched hypothetical.

I grew up in a very pro-gun state. I used guns at a very young age and grew up with them. I actually have no issues with guns as long as people are educated and responsible with them. I don't have any at the moment because I have no desire to hunt where I'm at and I don't really have time/interest in target shooting, but I do believe people should have the right to own them. Gun laws aren't going to prevent a Sandy Hook or Aurora and, honestly, I feel like gun legislation is mainly just a lot of posturing.

However, of all the pro-gun arguments, I find the ones about defending ourselves against a hostile government or a hostile invading force the most ridiculous and amusing. I don't think it helps with the general populace and really does conjure visions of Branch Davidians. I do think some gun advocates go a little overboard with their rhetoric.

Also, the NRA should just lock Charlton Heston away somewhere.....he isn't helping either.

Hey listen, I'm right there with you about defending ourselves from a tyrannical government sounding crazy or ridiculous. That's the thing that bothers me. I would never put my money or life on a bet that that could never happen here though..even though it sounds silly.

Iamtdg

Reaction score

Very well thought out and posted nonsense.

You can't say that a situation won't come eventually that causes a defense to have to happen. To say so without a doubt is just as damn crazy as saying it will happen. You are going SP here. Your argument can't be upheld or supported by anything sound. Nor can mine, but one thing I can tell you is if mine happens, we will win. If yours happens, and they take our guns, I am still subject to the real possibility of mine still happening without me having a gun to defend myself.

Fuck that.

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
Sweet, so they will give us our guns back just as soon as they load the first person on a boat?

Good to know. I surrender.

I asked this earlier and all I heard was crickets. What guns have been "taken" recently?

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
Very well thought out and posted nonsense.

You can't say that a situation won't come eventually that causes a defense to have to happen. To say so without a doubt is just as damn crazy as saying it will happen. You are going SP here. Your argument can't be upheld or supported by anything sound. Nor can mine, but one thing I can tell you is if mine happens, we will win. If yours happens, and they take our guns, I am still subject to the real possibility of mine still happening without me having a gun to defend myself.

Fuck that.

Another paragraph of crazy. We will win? A semi-armed, unorganized group of civilians is going to "win" against a 5 million strong invading Chinese Army? OK.

Again - who is taking your guns?

Reaction score
tumblr_mgqb4mWkeb1rq3i3ro1_1280.jpg

Attachments

Top Bottom