sbk92

Reaction score
Posted by rphillips at 4/5/2011 12:25 PM CDT on truebluefanclub.com

All those mocks and expert analysis and combine scores become utterly moot when the Cowboys actually hit the first-round clock on April 28.

Truth is, the Cowboys probably have some idea who they might pick at No. 9, but they don't know the eight picks before them. And they don't know what trade scenarios might interest them on draft day. It's still a fluid process as they continue their draft meetings here at Valley Ranch.

But here's a clue: these national pre-draft visits have often foreshadowed their top pick.

DeMarcus Ware in 2005. Bobby Carpenter in 2006. Anthony Spencer in 2007. Felix Jones in 2008. Jason Williams in 2009. Dez Bryant in 2010.

All were part of the league-allotted 30 pre-draft visits to the Ranch, where coaches and team officials got a better feel for them as players and as people. Wisconsin's J.J. Watt and USC's Tyron Smith have been popular mock draft selections for Dallas, and they're both here today.

Maybe it's a clue this year. Maybe it isn't. Right now it just means they like both players, as well as the other guys visiting -- Illinois' Martez Wilson, Colorado's Nate Solder and UCLA's Rahim Moore, to name a few. The draft range for each guy varies; some are first-round prospects, some will get selected later.

If Nebraska's Prince Amukamara doesn't visit in the next two days as has been speculated, it doesn't necessarily mean he's off the Cowboys' radar. Mike Jenkins, the other top pick in 2009, only met with Dallas at the combine that February.

But historically, these visits have provided at least some insight to what they're thinking.

C

Cr122

That's why I don't look into these draft visits, because it doesn't mean shit.

I don't want anyone else knowing the player on my draft board.

Top Bottom