Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Won't be much news here I don't think, no big names taking the bus just yet. But here's my list of the 15 who I think get cut Tuesday.

Copeland - Just cut today.
Hanie
Johnson
Briscoe (The other Dez)
Lemon
Kreiter
Goodin
Boatright
Ojomo
Patrick
Smith, K
Thomas
Najvar
Aladenoye
Hornsey

They may cut even more than this, this is just to get to the required 75.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Hanie might survive till after Thursdays game, they might want him to play unless Vaughn is gonna play the entire game.

I'm also sticking by my prediction that there will be 4-6 new players (not on roster currently) on the team before the game vs SF

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Hanie might survive till after Thursdays game, they might want him to play unless Vaughn is gonna play the entire game.
I'm thinking we'll see alot of Weeden, and a fair dosage of Vaughan. Hanie didn't take a snap last week which tells me they've seen all they want of him. Sadly, I think Dallas is only going to carry 2 quarterbacks on the roster and think they can slip Vaughan onto the practice squad. Won't happen - if they expose him to waivers he will be gone.

I'm also sticking by my prediction that there will be 4-6 new players (not on roster currently) on the team before the game vs SF
I don't doubt this at all. It all depends on who pops up on waivers from other teams.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm thinking we'll see alot of Weeden, and a fair dosage of Vaughan. Hanie didn't take a snap last week which tells me they've seen all they want of him. Sadly, I think Dallas is only going to carry 2 quarterbacks on the roster and think they can slip Vaughan onto the practice squad. Won't happen - if they expose him to waivers he will be gone.

Eh, not 100% convinced he'd get picked up on waivers. I think he has upside and is worth us keeping if possible, but he hasnt shown so much in preseason that somebody is gonna think "I gotta have this guy"

I don't doubt this at all. It all depends on who pops up on waivers from other teams.

I'm thinking we'll have a new backup RT/LT, at least one and maybe two new DL, at least one new LB and probably 1 or 2 new DB's. Maybe not all are waiver pickups, we may be able to trade for 1 or 2. Some of the guys we will be cuttin (especially WR and RB) can play elsewhere.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Eh, not 100% convinced he'd get picked up on waivers. I think he has upside and is worth us keeping if possible, but he hasnt shown so much in preseason that somebody is gonna think "I gotta have this guy"
Three other teams offered him 10K to sign with them prior to him taking Dallas' 5K offer. They know about him, they know why they want him. This is why the prognosticators who were saying Dallas should hold him out of games to keep their "secret" are morons. Vaughan isn't a secret and never was. They all will have some dude on cut day just sitting in front of the computer with orders to pull the trigger on Vaughan as soon as he appears on waivers. Similar to when 5 guys are fighting over a ebay bid.

Vaughan will be gone, minutes after he appears on the waiver wire. If for no reason other than to deprive Dallas of him. It happened with Amendola, for example.
I'm thinking we'll have a new backup RT/LT, at least one and maybe two new DL, at least one new LB and probably 1 or 2 new DB's. Maybe not all are waiver pickups, we may be able to trade for 1 or 2. Some of the guys we will be cuttin (especially WR and RB) can play elsewhere.
I don't know who we have that's worth anything in a trade. But I agree you have the needs down pretty well.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Here's one off my list already and one I didn't expect..
IRVING, Texas -- With the roster needing to be at 75 by Tuesday, the Dallas Cowboys cut two players Monday: defensive end Martez Wilson and fullback J.C. Copeland.
I thought Wilson would be a practice squad hopeful.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Here's one off my list already and one I didn't expect..I thought Wilson would be a practice squad hopeful.

cant play DE...gets totally washed out vs the run every single time

better fit for a 3-4 team but honestly he doesnt look like much of a player to me

Reaction score
I hope there are Free Agents that are still brought in. I watched the Dolphin game again and aside from the offense still needing to be unpredictable (Romo's sacks were just simple blitzes - Cameron Wake got to Romo first but Romo would have been sacked anyway. The Wheeler sack was just bad blocking by Dunbar and no help from the other two OL who could have.), the team just lacks freaks!

If Zach Minter can come in and seem like the messiah in one game, the talent of the defense is really lacking. It seems like the formations are right but there is no speed. Scandrick and Carter make some good plays at times but they are unusually fast at their positions.

Watching the game again, made me realize that all of Jason's influence on the roster has been to bring in characters on defense who he can trust to not defy him or stir trouble on the team and if they are on offense he wants them to know his offense or at lest his style of coaching. But the old adage of nice guys finish last applies here, because many of the behaviorally troubled NFL players are also athletic freaks. JJ Wilcox has the right attitude but he is dumb. But as a whole, the defense has become a polite group of slow hard workers who might get to their assignment but they are run over or too passive to finish the tackles with one hit.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Rams coach just got done saying... "We're not panicking, there will be some quarterbacks cut we'll look at..."

Rams are one of the teams that offered Vaughan the 10K camp deal.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Eagles are saying they won't trade Sanchez to the Rams. Makes sense the Eagles and Rams could possibly be competing for a wildcard spot/playoff seeding. Still, they could probably get some defensive talent and/or draft picks from the Rams.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Eagles are saying they won't trade Sanchez to the Rams. Makes sense the Eagles and Rams could possibly be competing for a wildcard spot/playoff seeding. Still, they could probably get some defensive talent and/or draft picks from the Rams.

Sanchez reportedly hates Schottenheimer (which isn't hard to understand) and doesn't want to go there.

Reaction score

the rams ain't competing for shit

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I think Copeland might be a PS candidate here, he still needs to get in better shape and learn the playbook, and the PS gives him that chance.

With all our other shortcomings, they could save a roster spot by cutting Clutts now, then waiting to see if Copeland develops more in 4-6 weeks or so. Once we get some other defensive guys back, they could release a scrub and bring Copeland back then if they think he is ready.

I haven't really seen much from Clutts to make me think he is worth keeping to be honest. I could see why they would like to have a true FB out there, but he isn't that much of a FB IMO.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
They're cutting people today which they plan on re-signing to the practice squad? I sort of doubt it.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Sanchez will never recover from the butt fumble.

I hate Philly with a passion but Sanchez by all accounts has looked really good for them. I only saw him play a few series in one game but he was sharp.

Reaction score
running that philly offense against scrubs who barely know when they need to be on the field is easy mode though

Reaction score
Monday, August 25, 2014
Dallas Cowboys cut two players
By Todd Archer

IRVING, Texas -- With the roster needing to be at 75 by Tuesday, the Dallas Cowboys cut two players Monday: defensive end Martez Wilson and fullback J.C. Copeland.

Wilson played in two games last season with the Cowboys and saw a lot of action in the preseason. He had a sack, a quarterback hurry and tackle for loss in Saturday’s preseason loss to the Miami Dolphins. Copeland signed as an undrafted free agent in May, but never really made an impact in training camp.

The Cowboys can clear three roster spots with moves involving injured players defensive end Ben Gardner, linebacker DeVonte Holloman and tight end Jordan Najvar. Gardner will miss the season after recently undergoing shoulder surgery and will be moved to injured reserve. Holloman was told last week to stop playing football because of a neck injury. Najvar tore his Achilles in the loss to the Dolphins.
--------

This is just good old fashioned stupid. Kyle Wilber and Martez have the same problem of being able to play two positions: OLB and DE. But Wilber is one of those Jason/Jerry draft picks that they are too proud of to cut. Martez has more sacks in more limited actual NFL game time than Wilber and he is extraordinarily fast. Drives me crazy.

Top Bottom