dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
http://dailycaller.com/2012/07/09/r...tors-have-considered-quitting-over-obamacare/

Report: 83 percent of doctors have considered quitting over Obamacare

Published: 2:20 PM 07/09/2012

By Sally Nelson

Archive | Email Sally Nelson

Eighty-three percent of American physicians have considered leaving their practices over President Barack Obama’s health care reform law, according to a survey released by the Doctor Patient Medical Association.

The DPMA, a non-partisan association of doctors and patients, surveyed a random selection of 699 doctors nationwide. The survey found that the majority have thought about bailing out of their careers over the legislation, which was upheld last month by the Supreme Court.

Even if doctors do not quit their jobs over the ruling, America will face a shortage of at least 90,000 doctors by 2020. The newly passed health care bill increases the demand for physicians by expanding insurance coverage. This change will exacerbate the current shortage as more Americans live past 65.

By 2025 the shortage will balloon to over 130,000, Len Marquez, the director of government relations at the American Association of Medical Colleges, told The Daily Caller.

“One of our primary concerns is that you’ve got an aging physician workforce and you have these new beneficiaries — these newly insured people — coming through the system,” he said. “There will be strains and there will be physician shortages.”

The DPMA found that many in the medical profession do not believe the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act will lead to better access to medical care for the majority of Americans, co-founder of the DPMA Kathryn Serkes told TheDC.

“Doctors clearly understand what Washington does not — that a piece of paper that says you are ‘covered’ by insurance or ‘enrolled’ in Medicare or Medicaid does not translate to actual medical care when doctors can’t afford to see patients at the lowball payments, and patients have to jump through government and insurance company bureaucratic hoops,” she said.

The American Medical Association, which endorsed Obama’s health care overhaul, was not able to immediately offer comment on the survey. Spokesperson Heather Lasher Todd said it would take time to review the information in the survey.

Janelle Davis of the American Academy of Family Physicians said the AAFP could not provide thoughtful commentary without studying the survey’s findings and methodology.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2012/07/09/r...idered-quitting-over-obamacare/#ixzz20ARdIMLb

Cythim

Reaction score
Wow, where to start on this incredibly stupid article. Even if the 83% is accurate, the statistic that is portrayed is asinine. Having considered something means absolutely nothing. Ask 699 doctors if they considering sleeping in this morning and you will probably find that 83% considered it but most all of them went to work anyways. This stat is as meaningless as your political opinion.

Also, it is a problem now that more Americans will be able to afford health care, increasing the need for doctors? Sounds like job creation to me, great work Obama!

Actually, we need to change medical rules and allow RNs and APRNs certain responsibilities that are given only to doctors. When I go to the clinic because I know I have strep I don't need a doctor to confirm it when a nurse does all the work. Doctors are not needed for routine medical care, giving that responsibility to nurses with 4-6 years of college would help with the cost factor and this problem of more Americans being able to afford care.

FuzzyLumpkins

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Yeah doctors are going to quit and go into.....

The demand for doctors and nurses nationwide is about to go through the roof.

FuzzyLumpkins

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Stays the same.

DERP!

The four basic laws of supply and demand are:[1]

If demand increases and supply remains unchanged, then it leads to higher equilibrium price and higher quantity.
If demand decreases and supply remains unchanged, then it leads to lower equilibrium price and lower quantity.
If supply increases and demand remains unchanged, then it leads to lower equilibrium price and higher quantity.
If supply decreases and demand remains unchanged, then it leads to higher equilibrium price and lower quantity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supply_and_demand

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
The pay is going to go down too, and I bet the quality will dip as well.

Pay will be tied, in part, to quality.

Try telling the CEO of a huge healthcare network that his pay will go down because the people he has hired will provide a shittier service.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Hey libtards- there's a reason physicians dont want government involved with healthcare.

See current state of Medicare and Medicaid, where fewer and fewer physicians take Medicaid or refuse Medicare assignment. Quality of care didnt improve for the people covered by it. Costs skyrocketed.

But yeah, the feds can probably make it work for everyone when they cant make it work for the few.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah doctors are going to quit and go into.....

The demand for doctors and nurses nationwide is about to go through the roof.

And the number of QUALITY physicians and physician prospects is about to go extinct.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Actually, we need to change medical rules and allow RNs and APRNs certain responsibilities that are given only to doctors. When I go to the clinic because I know I have strep I don't need a doctor to confirm it when a nurse does all the work. Doctors are not needed for routine medical care, giving that responsibility to nurses with 4-6 years of college would help with the cost factor and this problem of more Americans being able to afford care.

"Nurse Practioners"

Physician Assistants"

FuzzyLumpkins

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Hey libtards- there's a reason physicians dont want government involved with healthcare.

See current state of Medicare and Medicaid, where fewer and fewer physicians take Medicaid or refuse Medicare assignment. Quality of care didnt improve for the people covered by it. Costs skyrocketed.

But yeah, the feds can probably make it work for everyone when they cant make it work for the few.

You can still go the doctors that won't accept medicare/medicaid. Doctors are not compelled to accept it. Mt Sinai and MD Anderson aren't going to shut down.

Medical school enrollment is increasing https://www.aamc.org/newsroom/newsreleases/2008/55454/080501.html

There is no correlation in rising health care costs and medicare/aid. They began in the 1960s whereas the spike in health care costs began in the 1980s.

Quit being so intellectually lazy man.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
You can still go the doctors that won't accept medicare/medicaid. Doctors are not compelled to accept it. Mt Sinai and MD Anderson aren't going to shut down.

Typically medicaid members were only allowed to be treated by medicaid assignment at least thats the way it was when I worked in the pharmacy business. Medicare members could go to docs who dont accept assignment, but the result is those members were balance billed for what those physicians want over Medicare allowable. Most members will avoid docs who dont take assignment, and fewer and fewer physicians accept assignment due to low reimbursements and excessive paperwork/admin.

Oh I have no doubt it'll increase. The question is whether the increase is because they are letting more and more in (qualifications lowered to support demand)
There is no correlation in rising health care costs and medicare/aid. They began in the 1960s whereas the spike in health care costs began in the 1980s.

You need to put the crackpipe down dude. Medicaid/Medicare costs have risen at a higher rate than private insurance, and has for a long time.

Quit being so intellectually lazy man

Quit being a blind liberal

FuzzyLumpkins

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Typically medicaid members were only allowed to be treated by medicaid assignment at least thats the way it was when I worked in the pharmacy business. Medicare members could go to docs who dont accept assignment, but the result is those members were balance billed for what those physicians want over Medicare allowable. Most members will avoid docs who dont take assignment, and fewer and fewer physicians accept assignment due to low reimbursements and excessive paperwork/admin.

Oh I have no doubt it'll increase. The question is whether the increase is because they are letting more and more in (qualifications lowered to support demand)

You need to put the crackpipe down dude. Medicaid/Medicare costs have risen at a higher rate than private insurance, and has for a long time.

Quit being a blind liberal

Cost associated with Medicare are still lower than private practice. Why do you think doctors are opting out in the first place? Prices need to come down man and Medicare does a better job of controlling cost than the market on its own. And you did not even try to respond to the timeline. 20 years of of Medicare/Aid and then prices spiked. Correlation does not imply causality but when there is none it rules it out. It is what it is.

Show me anywhere that indicates that the requirements for med school admission have been relaxed. All you are doing is confirmation bias based on literally nothing. Do you always suppose things you want to be true and insert them for facts? That is intellectual laziness laid bare.

I am all over the place in concerns to the political spectrum. I want illegal immigrants deported, gun ownership by the law abiding not to be fucked with, support capital punishment, support the right to abortion, want Citizens United overturned, reregulation of the banking industry, graduated taxes, support anti-trust laws, elimination of party affiliation of ballots, a parliamentary election system to replace the travesty that is the single member district, elimination of the senate, a steady ratio citizens to representatives to around 250,000:1, elimination of government funding to the established political parties, the prohibition of lobbying groups from government panels and boards, elimination of drug laws, amendments to the constitution that actually address political parties and lobbying, and much more.

I know it's you schtick to label anyone that disagrees with you as liberals so you can be intellectually lazy and discount them out of hand but for someone as intelligent as you that is pretty damn sad.

Top Bottom