Joseph Garcia
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

Position: Tackle
Height/Weight: 6-8, 322
College: Notre Dame
NFL Exp: Rookie
How Acquired: 6th round - 2010
Hometown: Springs, Fla.

With their fourth pick of the 2010 draft, the Cowboys selected tackle Sam Young out of Notre Dame in an effort to stock their offensive line with young talent.

Aside from playing in every game for the Fighting Irish (50-straight), Young is the only player ever - in over 121 years of Notre Dame football - to start his collegiate debut on the offensive line.

Young played the majority of his games at the left tackle position while at Notre Dame, but when Marc Colombo was sidelined with an injury Sunday, he practiced with the first-team at both right and left tackle. However, since then Robert Brewster, second-year tackle from Ball State, has been getting first-team reps.

Although Young may not presently be getting snaps with the first-unit, it is an encouraging sign for him that the coaches wanted to see how he responds to playing with Pro Bowlers such as Andre Gurode and Leonard Davis.

Fitting In: Young said playing for Charlie Weis at Notre Dame has helped him make a seamless transition to the NFL. In addition to what he learned in college, Young is getting some tutelage from the older linemen as well.

"It's definitely a different system but some of terminology is the same," Young said. "Really, the older guys have helped a lot whether it was (Marc) Colombo or L.D.(Leonard Davis) or any of those guys, they have been really helpful. They have been helping me acclimate to not only the speed but the mental side."

So Far: Wade Phillips said Young has done some good things in the first two preseason games, but needs more playing time. With all the injuries the offensive line has experienced, Young stands to see exactly that.

Best Asset: Young feels his best assets are his determination and size. "I think I have a good physical makeup, I was picked for a reason," Young said. "But, I'm just trying to do my best out here and learn and soak it up and just play."

You Should Know: Young is not only being coached by the vets on the offensive line, but All-Pro linebacker DeMarcus Ware amongst others.

"The great thing is when you go against someone like DeMarcus Ware, he'll kind of coach you along so you are getting two perspectives from it," Young said. "I'm fortunate I'm getting coached from everyone. I'm constantly just trying to soak everything in cause, you know, I'm the new guy so I got more to learn than anyone."

A Mouthful: "Someone should tell me where I can go fishing in Dallas because I still haven't found a good place yet," Young said.

MichaelWinicki

In the Rotation
Reaction score
I thought the kid was a reach in the 6th round, but I'm starting to warm up to him being a contributor to this team at some point in the future.

C

Cr122

I thought the kid was a reach in the 6th round, but I'm starting to warm up to him being a contributor to this team at some point in the future.

I was happy with the pick, but after reading some material on him and seeing some video of him at Notre Dame I'm on the fence about him.

I'm hoping he can help us, but don't know if his upper body strength and footwork are going to make it on this level.

Top Bottom