Edward Lewis
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

Position: Guard/Center
Height/Weight: 6-3/307
College: Maryland
NFL Exp: Rookie
How Acquired: FA-'10
Hometown: Moorestown, N.J.

Fitting In: Costa was a long shot to make the Cowboys final roster a few weeks ago. Now, however, he's an Andre Gurode injury away from being an NFL starting center. After backup center Kyle Kosier went down with an MCL sprain earlier this week, offensive line coach Hudson Houck said Costa would likely be Gurode's backup.

So Far: Costa estimated he played about 15 snaps in the first preseason game against the Bengals and about 50 snaps in the second game against the Raiders. He felt like he played "pretty decent" in both games, but mentioned the coaching staff would like him to sustain his run blocks a little more.

Best Asset: He's versatile. Costa played both guard positions and center in 30 career starts at Maryland.

You Should Know: At 6 feet 3 inches, 307 pounds, Costa is a very large man. But he's still extremely athletic. Costa has a 35.5-inch vertical leap and said he can dunk a basketball. He also owns the all-time Terps offensive lineman record in the clean lift with 435 pounds in 2008.

A Mouthful: "If I was maybe a sixth-round pick, would everybody be more comfortable with me being the backup center? Maybe. But I was a free agent, so there were a lot more questions there and I have to prove more. And that's fine; I'm willing to do that. I have three more preseason games to do that, and I'm going to do it."

C

Cr122

I hope this guy makes it. I didn't know much about him until recently.

We most definitely can use another Guard or Center like this.

He'll be one to watch on the line tonight.

MichaelWinicki

In the Rotation
Reaction score
SBK mentioned that the present offensive line (perhaps not including Free) was "fat and dumb".

Costa doesn't strike me as being either.

Sounds like he has the power that Proctor didn't. If he could make the correct line calls too, he's could very well be a serviceable back-up at center, and who knows... Maybe the starting center at some point.

sbk92

Reaction score
SBK mentioned that the present offensive line (perhaps not including Free) was "fat and dumb".

Costa doesn't strike me as being either.

Sounds like he has the power that Proctor didn't. If he could make the correct line calls too, he's could very well be a serviceable back-up at center, and who knows... Maybe the starting center at some point.

Mike, you ignorant slut.

The starting line is either fat/lazy (Gurode, Davis) or they just can't play (Kosier, Colombo). Free is kind of just there to me. I don't like that he's my starting LT but I don't think he's a bum either. In a perfect world he'd be our 6th man. Since I don't think he can play inside and don't think he's powerful enough to play RT.

Costa is a backup type in the NFL. He's got the dreaded short arm syndrome. I'll owe you a beer if he ever becomes an NFL starter without some rash of injuries taking place that forces him into the position.

sbk92

Reaction score
That's my issue. I really think we are 5 players away from forming our line of the future.

MichaelWinicki

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Mike, you ignorant slut.

The starting line is either fat/lazy (Gurode, Davis) or they just can't play (Kosier, Colombo). Free is kind of just there to me. I don't like that he's my starting LT but I don't think he's a bum either. In a perfect world he'd be our 6th man. Since I don't think he can play inside and don't think he's powerful enough to play RT.

Costa is a backup type in the NFL. He's got the dreaded short arm syndrome. I'll owe you a beer if he ever becomes an NFL starter without some rash of injuries taking place that forces him into the position.

Being that he's an undrafted FA I wouldn't be my life that he'll be a starter some day, but stranger things have happened.

Having short arms shouldn't be as big a hindrance at the center position.

Top Bottom