dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Played for us under Jimmy too:

Pittsburgh secondary coach Horton enters Cowboys' DC search
Posted at 1:42 PM on Thu., Jan. 13, 2011 | Permalink
Gerry Fraley / Reporter Bio | E-mail | News tips

Pittsburgh secondary coach Ray Horton has emerged as a candidate for the Dallas Cowboys' defensive-coordinator position, according to an NFL source.

Horton played 10 years in the NFL, including a four-season stint (1989-92) with the Cowboys. He has been an NFL assistant coach for 17 years, including the last seven years with the Steelers. Horton worked for well-regarded defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau with Cincinnati and re-joined him with the Steelers in 2004.

Under LeBeau, the Steelers have had a top-shelf defense. In the last five seasons, the Steelers have annually ranked among the top seven for fewest offensive points allowed and top nine for fewest yards from scrimmage allowed. Pittsburgh this season was first in offensive points allowed with 217 and second in yards from scrimmage allwoed with 276.8.

If Pittsburgh were to lose a divisional-round playoff game against Baltimore on Saturday, the Cowboys could interview Horton next week. If the Steelers advance to the AFC final on Jan 23, the Cowboys would have to wait until the week after that game.

The Cowboys have previously interviewed Vic Fangio and Greg Manusky for the position, and Paul Pasqualoni reamins an in-house canidadate after handling the defense for the final eight games this season. Manusky is intervieweing today for the same job with San Diego.

sbk92

Reaction score
Man, I would waffle on that.

Great system to come from. But a first time coordinator.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

Waffle+Pic.gif

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

Sometime sooner or later you are going to have to bite the bullet. These experienced coordinators, at one time were first time coordinators.

C

Cr122

Now whats the matter with you?

I give up trying to name our next DC.

There's been so many names and speculation thrown around I'm done with it.

I'll wait until Jason makes his decision.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I give up trying to name our next DC.

There's been so many names and speculation thrown around I'm done with it, I guess Jason wants us guessing.

"Your on a need to know basis, and right now you dont need to know"

Reaction score
Sometime sooner or later you are going to have to bite the bullet. These experienced coordinators, at one time were first time coordinators.

I think the concern is we have a first time head coach as well.

Nevertheless, I'd take anyone from Pittsburgh's system. Hell, I'd hire their towel guy to run our defense.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
The fact that have not named one yet to me means we are waiting on GB to be eliminated from the playoffs. Garrett probably wants to at least try to get Capers before picking anyone else.

Regarding some other posts, I'm okay with a first time coordinator as long as it's someone who comes from a strong coaching tree. Young guys from great programs are usually hungry to make their own name.

Top Bottom