Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Best. Show. Eva.

I had heard about it but never gave it a look until the other night. I've now made it through all of the 1st season and through episode 12 of season 2.

Badass.

sbk92

Reaction score
I saw parts of one episode. I think the guy was trying to pawn an old civil war sword.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
I saw parts of one episode. I think the guy was trying to pawn an old civil war sword.

They get a lot of interesting pieces in there. I just watched an episode where some young guy walks in with something, he has no idea, turns out t's a war bond from days after the Revolutionary War started. Oh, it also had been worked on in some way by Paul Revere Jr.

The dude that had it only thought he could get enough money to get a new guitar. No, he got $12k and a Stratocaster that was probably worth another 2-5K. It was worth 25-30K.

It seems like every episode has a nice piece of American history come through that pawn shop. Swords, hand guns, Rifles and signatures.

Crazy awesome show. If you guys have Netflix through your PS3's, check it out and give it a chance. Otherwise try to catch a show now and then. Some of them are better than others. Old Man and Chumlee make that show gold, imo.

Reaction score

Caught that one as well . . . and I'm not an avid watcher. I bet we were watching it at the same time. Under the same night sky. So close, yet . . . so far away.

They get a lot of interesting pieces in there. I just watched an episode where some young guy walks in with something, he has no idea, turns out t's a war bond from days after the Revolutionary War started. Oh, it also had been worked on in some way by Paul Revere Jr.

The dude that had it only thought he could get enough money to get a new guitar. No, he got $12k and a Stratocaster that was probably worth another 2-5K. It was worth 25-30K.

It seems like every episode has a nice piece of American history come through that pawn shop. Swords, hand guns, Rifles and signatures.

Crazy awesome show. If you guys have Netflix through your PS3's, check it out and give it a chance. Otherwise try to catch a show now and then. Some of them are better than others. Old Man and Chumlee make that show gold, imo.

I've tuned in from time to time, and while it is moderately interesting, it definitely feels faker than shit. I mean, the guy just happens to know people who are experts on everything.

I'll concede I've only watched pieces of maybe 5-10 episodes, but in every episode, they have some guy bring in some antique thingamajig, and the bald guy is all like "I like it, I just don't know what its worth/if it's authentic. But I have a friend that I'd like to call."

Then, the friend comes over. Appearantly these experts are on call because the bald guy and the customer are wearing the same outfits, so it's obviously the same day. And you get this history lesson on whatever it is the person brought in.

Also . . . the pawn shop itself is like a friggin' museum. Every pawn shop I've been into has been a shit hole full of old video games, VCR's, and ugly jewelry. That place, they have fucking Van Goh's hanging from the wall.

I call shenanigans.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
I emailed the old man and asked him if I could sweep his parking lot for one episode.

Reaction score
I did tune in to American Pickers for half an episode . . . and found that to be pretty interesting.

You know how you see some peoples yards where they just have acres and acres of "junk?" Well . . . turns out theres some interesting and valuable shit there sometimes . . .

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Not sure if it's the same show, but there's a show with two gheys that drive around searching for deals.

They are crooks. I caught on episode where they bought something for $5 that they knew was worth several hundred from some old guy that could hardly walk or talk. At least with Pawn Stars they let people know what shit is worth before they buy it.

I wanted to beat the shit out of the little skinny ghey.

Reaction score
Not sure if it's the same show, but there's a show with two gheys that drive around searching for deals.

They are crooks. I caught on episode where they bought something for $5 that they knew was worth several hundred from some old guy that could hardly walk or talk. At least with Pawn Stars they let people know what shit is worth before they buy it.

It's the same show. And they're not crooks . . . they're smart business man.

They go to peoples 'junk yards', where the people don't appear to have any intention of selling (at least don't appear to be making any effort) and they make offers. If the owners don't want to sell . . . it's not like they're going all bad Steven Seagall action movie on them and burning down their barns and shit.

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score

On the other hand,I saw an episode where some old dude had several buildings and acres of stuff he'd been hoarding for years.
Skinny found an old motorcycle frame he knew was valuable.Trouble was,so did the geezer.
Between Skinny and Chunky,they ended up paying the old guy around $12,000.00 for the stuff they wanted.
I think they thought they could net about $4500.00,but after an auction,and who knows how that would have gone.

Reaction score
On the other hand,I saw an episode where some old dude had several buildings and acres of stuff he'd been hoarding for years.
Skinny found an old motorcycle frame he knew was valuable.Trouble was,so did the geezer.
Between Skinny and Chunky,they ended up paying the old guy around $12,000.00 for the stuff they wanted.
I think they thought they could net about $4500.00,but after an auction,and who knows how that would have gone.

I think that was the episode I watched as well. Did they also pick up two 1920's gas station lamps earlier (or maybe later) in the show?

At any rate . . . I think you're off with your figures. If it was the same show, they got the motorcycle frame, an old metal advertising sign, and a few other odds and ends for $400. Old man said he sold it so he could put up a new fence, or some shit.

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
I think that was the episode I watched as well. Did they also pick up two 1920's gas station lamps earlier (or maybe later) in the show?

At any rate . . . I think you're off with your figures. If it was the same show, they got the motorcycle frame, an old metal advertising sign, and a few other odds and ends for $400. Old man said he sold it so he could put up a new fence, or some shit.

I don't believe it was the same show.The old guy's name was Hobo Jack,he looked a lot like Billy Gibbons from ZZ Top.
Mike(skinny) was getting pissed because the old guy kept backing away about the bike frame,then held them up for it.
Frank(chunky) also bought a transmission for a different motorcycle.
Earlier in the show,they had purchased a vintage bicycle,and looked at some old time "Dirty" pictures.

Reaction score
I watched Hard Core Pawn last night.

It was entertaining, and had less of a scripted feel than Pawn Stars does, IMO.

You should check it out Sheik.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
What channel? History?

I can't get enough of these shows. I ended up watching the first season American Pickers, I'm actually a fan of those two after watching them take care of some people.

I started watching Hoarders last night. That show is a little hard to stomach. Not judging people like that, but it's tough to imagine what those people have to live through.

Reaction score
What channel? History?

I can't get enough of these shows. I ended up watching the first season American Pickers, I'm actually a fan of those two after watching them take care of some people.

I started watching Hoarders last night. That show is a little hard to stomach. Not judging people like that, but it's tough to imagine what those people have to live through.

Hard Core Pawn comes on TruTV.

http://www.trutv.com/shows/hardcore-pawn/index.html

Reaction score
Sheik... Hard Core Pawn is not that similar to Pawn Stars, other than the fact that both take place in a pawn shop.

Pawn Stars focuses more on the unique things people bring in.

Hard Core Pawn focuses more on the idiots that come into a pawn shop in Detroit.

HCP seems a lot less scripted/real than PS, IMO. And I find it a lot more interesting. Not sure if you checked it out yet.

Top Bottom