VTA

UDFA
Reaction score
Ugh... everything goes back to politics with you.

I will say though, your statement makes it all the more bizarre that you're a fan of sports.

Most uniform rules aren't for the purpose of preventing one team from having a competitive advantage over the other. You're barking up the wrong tree about that. A team with black socks doesn't have an advantage over a team with white socks. The uniforms are tangential to the game. The ball is the center of the game.

And a softer ball does help the offense. There's really no disputing that, otherwise, why would they do this? If they didn't feel like they could perform better with a ball that wasn't properly inflated, then they would play with properly inflated balls.

:lol How the hell is that political? The Zeitgeist encompasses everything within a society.
I didn't say they're regulating uniforms to that end, I said they're headed in that direction, so any current bit of evidence is as useless as my conjecture concerning it.

And if a softer ball helps the offense, I guess we have to figure a harder ball hinders it? What the hell is the point of that? Added obstacles to aid the defense? You see how it goes? In that vein, everyone can complain. Let them play and stop the micro-management. It doesn't help, but it sure does hinder, considering the divine image these losers are trying to uphold; they now have a team and personnel being accused of cheating. Because idiot rules have marked them as cheaters.

Reaction score
:lol How the hell is that political? The Zeitgeist encompasses everything within a society.
I didn't say they're regulating uniforms to that end, I said they're headed in that direction, so any current bit of evidence is as useless as my conjecture concerning it.
You know how it's political. Everything's not part of a new world order conspiracy. "Oh noes, thay can't wear teh gold cleats... the man/gubment is holdin playas down!!"

And if a softer ball helps the offense, I guess we have to figure a harder ball hinders it? What the hell is the point of that? Added obstacles to aid the defense? You see how it goes? In that vein, everyone can complain. Let them play and stop the micro-management. It doesn't help, but it sure does hinder, considering the divine image these losers are trying to uphold; they now have a team and personnel being accused of cheating. Because idiot rules have marked them as cheaters.
Well, yeah. Brady's hands are smallish for a QB, so a harder ball hinders his grip, and thus hinders the offense. Have you ever thrown or caught a football?

Would it be micromanaging to say the ball has to have some/any air in it?

If you're going to try to poke holes, you might try using something sharper.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
I can't believe he used the word "Zeitgeist" unironically

VTA

UDFA
Reaction score
You know how it's political. Everything's not part of a new world order conspiracy. "Oh noes, thay can't wear teh gold cleats... the man/gubment is holdin playas down!!"

Well, yeah. Brady's hands are smallish for a QB, so a harder ball hinders his grip, and thus hinders the offense. Have you ever thrown or caught a football?

Would it be micromanaging to say the ball has to have some/any air in it?

If you're going to try to poke holes, you might try using something sharper.

Fads and trends aren't political or conspiratorial. Are you out of your mind?
Yeah I've done both, and I never gave much thought to whether or not it was properly deflated. It's micromanaging to have a blood-alcohol-like measurement to the amount of air in a fucking football. Geez, what pansy shit.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
So sick of this subject being beaten to death, its a physical game & I don't believe a variation in the PSI is going to allow an inferior team to win

This whole mess strikes me as the league/press/etc tearing down the best teams like they did with the Irvin rule, The Emmitt rule, the Eric Williams rule, the Roy Williams rule (I agree with that one for safety reasons).

There's too many damn rules imo and we just got fucked by one of them because the people making the call can't imagine having the athletic ability to make the play Dez did.

Reaction score
Yeah I've done both,
So have you ever noticed that you can grip a ball better when it is not as "hard" and more forgiving? I mean, I guess it assumes that you've thrown or caught more than one football... Ever compare the difference between two footballs? One easier to throw/catch than another?

and I never gave much thought to whether or not it was properly deflated. It's micromanaging to have a blood-alcohol-like measurement to the amount of air in a fucking football. Geez, what pansy shit.
LOL

Micromanaging....

So let's say a team wanted to play with a flat football, so the RB would never get the ball knocked out, and the ball wouldn't bounce when it did hit the ground? You okay with that?

Reaction score
Belichick and Brady denied any knowledge in their pressers today.

Guess I wouldn't expect anyone to admit wrongdoing here. We'll just have to wait for the NFL "investigation" to come back, and the equipment manager will be the sacrificial lamb.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Guess I wouldn't expect anyone to admit wrongdoing here.

The NFL is clearly dragging its feet and hoping to do nothing until after the Super Bowl. They haven't even interviewed Brady yet, which is bizarre. If they think this will blow over by next week, they're nuts. You're gonna have a million reporters and TMZ types hounding them about Deflate-gate instead of the game. But if no one in New England admits to wrongdoing, how can they be disciplined sans real evidence?

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
The NFL... micromanaging air pressure in footballs since 1939.

Pansies.
And that's been one of my points - there's NO way every ball fits into that tight, 1psi window, during a game.

Why not make it alot more like cleat length - let the teams decide how squishy or tight they want their footballs to be, just like they decide cleat length. Make that spec be more like a 5psi window, 10.5 to 15.5 psi and it is the same spec for both teams and problem solved. Let 'em use what they prefer.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
That last sentence in the rule book puts the responsibility on the referee.

If he's responsible, he should be gauging those balls at various points of the game to make sure the balls meet regulations. If they are under or over inflated, he should pull out his pump and fix the problem.

Referees/officials are the worst people in the world. Easily.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I wonder if, since by the rules the referee is solely responsible, does the referee get the fine?

VTA

UDFA
Reaction score
So have you ever noticed that you can grip a ball better when it is not as "hard" and more forgiving? I mean, I guess it assumes that you've thrown or caught more than one football... Ever compare the difference between two footballs? One easier to throw/catch than another?

Yeah, and? Is that really the difference between winning and losing? I think in this case, Indy could have forced NE to use their balls and it wouldn't matter. This whole thing is being blown up as though it makes a difference.

LOL

Micromanaging....

So let's say a team wanted to play with a flat football, so the RB would never get the ball knocked out, and the ball wouldn't bounce when it did hit the ground? You okay with that?

That's ridiculous.

As for that 1939 blue law, I'd have a hard time believing that little rule has been followed to the T or even seriously enforced all this time... Especially hearing the stories of cork-screw eye gouges going on in pile ups from the old days. It takes a a group of people who can't accept losing without creating a bad guy to think it matters.

:lol
Current Colts tight end Brandon Allen, whose team was throttled by the Pats in the title game, simply said: "They could have played with soap for balls and beat us."

Amen Brandon.

Reaction score
Yeah, and? Is that really the difference between winning and losing?
Not saying it was in this game, but in a closer game, sure it can be the difference. If referee's calls on pass interference and what is and isn't a catch on one play can be the difference between winning and losing, then a difference in the conditions of the ball for the entire game can certainly make a difference.

I think in this case, Indy could have forced NE to use their balls and it wouldn't matter. This whole thing is being blown up as though it makes a difference.
The result of this game isn't the point. As Aikman said this morning, if you think Brady and Belichick haven't been doing this all year, and then just decided to do it on the biggest game of the year to this point, then you're just as naive as they want you to be.

That's ridiculous.
Oh, so you're okay with SOME type of regulation on the air pressure in the ball, just not this particular range of air pressure. The arbitrary standard of internet message board commenter VTA, whatever it is, isn't micromanaging, but the one that the NFL has had in place longer than any of us have been alive is... Yep, ridiculous.

As for that 1939 blue law, I'd have a hard time believing that little rule has been followed to the T or even seriously enforced all this time... Especially hearing the stories of cork-screw eye gouges going on in pile ups from the old days. It takes a a group of people who can't accept losing without creating a bad guy to think it matters.
Apparently the league has a protocol to follow for the refs to measure the balls before the game starts... just like the rule provides. this isn't some arcaine rule that just showed up 10 years ago.

The football is the fucking point of the game numbnuts.

:lol
Current Colts tight end Brandon Allen, whose team was throttled by the Pats in the title game, simply said: "They could have played with soap for balls and beat us."

Amen Brandon.
Fuck, let em play with tennis balls for all you care right? "Long axis between 11 and 11.25 inches?" Pfft... fuck that shit. Don't tread on me you fucking commies!!

Reaction score
Arguably the best QB in the history of the game couldn't tell the balls were deflated. Fucking D'Qwell Jackson makes an interception and immediately notices. Colts equipment manager notices. Refs measure the balls at halftime and 11 of the 12 are 16%+ deflated. GTFO Brady.

Reaction score
I played tennis more than any other sport over my life... played 4 years in high school, at the college level for a short time, coached for a little while. I want the strings in my rackets strung at 57 pounds, and I can tell the difference if they're strung at 56 or 58 pounds based solely on the way the ball comes off the strings... my hands don't make direct contact with the strings when I'm playing. And there are probably millions of people who have as much or more experience in tennis as I do.

There are one maybe two guys in the world who have the resume of Brady. He may be the best ever. And he can't tell. The only two current or former QBs who I have heard comment on this put the responsibility for this squarely on Brady. Mark Brunell said he checked every football before the game, picked it up, squeezed it, wanted the football aired up to 13 psi, didn't want it overinflated, and no equipment manager in his right mind would change the air pressure in the football without his approval. That's all I need to know.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Brady knew the balls were deflated. There's no way he couldn't know. He's touched and squeezed a football more than we've grabbed our cocks. I know if I reached for my cock and it was bigger or smaller, I'd notice right away.

He's guilty.

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Brady knew the balls were deflated. There's no way he couldn't know. He's touched and squeezed a football more than we've grabbed our cocks. I know if I reached for my cock and it was bigger or smaller, I'd notice right away.

He's guilty.

Starting to get all worked up in a frothy lather over here.

Top Bottom