Reaction score
10/8/2016 1:42:38 PM

The New England Patriots informed guard Jonathan Cooper of their intention to release him Saturday, Field Yates of ESPN reports via Mike Reiss of ESPN Boston. This according to a source. A foot injury led to Cooper's fall from starter at the outset of training camp.

The No. 7 overall pick in the 2013 draft, Cooper had been acquired as part of the Patriots' March trade with the Arizona Cardinals in which New England swapped defensive end Chandler Jones for Cooper and a second-round draft choice.

The Patriots made the move, in part, for salary-cap flexibility. They later traded the second-round pick to the New Orleans Saints for third- and fourth-round picks -- using the selections on starting guard Joe Thuney and top-four wide receiver Malcolm Mitchell.

Cooper had been working with the first unit at right guard through spring practices and into the third day of training camp, when a foot injury sidelined him. He had just been removed from the team's injury report this week.

His release opens a roster spot that could be filled by rookie defensive tackle Woodrow Hamilton's promotion from the practice squad. The team is thin on big-bodied defensive tackle depth with rookie Vincent Valentine missing the week of practice with a back injury.

-------------------

Fuck I remember it was the Jonathan Cooper/Chance Womack draft and I desperately wanted one of these two guys.

I haven't heard anything about how Womack is doing, but Cooper I guess you could consider a bust.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Man what a bust Cooper has been. Was considered one of the cant miss guys too, and two teams whiffed on him now.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Thought I read somewhere earlier today that the Titans were not going to exercise the 5th yr option on Warmack

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Fuck I remember it was the Jonathan Cooper/Chance Womack draft and I desperately wanted one of these two guys.

I haven't heard anything about how Womack is doing, but Cooper I guess you could consider a bust.

Them two and then afterwards David DeCastro of the Steelers. We really lucked out with getting Zach Martin --- who has turned out to be better than all three, and then to also end up with La'el Collins.

Top Bottom