sbk92

Reaction score
Ex-Cowboys WR Patrick Crayton: Jerry Jones, not Jason Garrett, behind Cowboys' midseason turnaround

SportsDayDFW sports

Former Cowboys wide receiver Patrick Crayton took some time out of his day to visit with the Ben and Skin Show (KESN-FM) on Friday afternoon. Aside from talking about his first season with the San Diego Chargers, Crayton also discussed the departure of Ray Sherman and the differences between Tony Romo and Phillip Rivers:

If Jason Garrett fails as Cowboys head coach, it will be because:

"What words am I allowed to say on the radio? Karma is a... [There could be some bad mojo going on from the Garrett side of things]. That would be one side of it. The other would be players not responding to him in a positive way. They responded, I believe, this past season because of the guy who signs the checks, Jerry Jones. He's a true players owner. But when he comes in in an authoritative way, you tend to listen."

The differences between playing with Tony Romo and Phillip Rivers:

"... Romo is a big, athletic guy. He extends plays with his feet, which is one of his strong points. Phillip (Rivers) is more of a pocket passer. He's one of those guys that you know is going to throw; he led the league with 4,700-plus yard passing this year, and he's throwing that ball to everyone -- which is great. When you run a route, you better be cognoscente that the ball could be coming your way. He's also a little trash talker, but that's the competitive juices in him."

Thoughts on receiver Dez Bryant:

"... They let him get away with a lot of stuff. A lot of stuff. Hopefully whoever they bring in as receivers coach -- and they say Garrett is a disciplinarian -- won't let him get away with so much stuff. He'll get locked down and hopefully be the next Michael Irvin."

C

Cr122

"... They let him get away with a lot of stuff. A lot of stuff. Hopefully whoever they bring in as receivers coach -- and they say Garrett is a disciplinarian -- won't let him get away with so much stuff. He'll get locked down and hopefully be the next Michael Irvin."

That's probably why Sherman is gone.

sbk92

Reaction score
Here's more from Crayton....

Ex-Boys WR Patrick Crayton: Cowboys only interviewed Ray Sherman to satisfy Rooney Rule; decision to let him go was 'an insult'

SportsDayDFW sports

Former Cowboys wide receiver Patrick Crayton took some time out of his day to visit with the Ben and Skin Show (KESN-FM) on Friday afternoon. Aside from talking about his first season with the San Diego Chargers, Crayton also discussed the departure of Ray Sherman and the differences between Tony Romo and Phillip Rivers:

Thoughts on former receivers coach Ray Sherman:

"He was a hell of a coach, hell of a guy, and I really appreciate what he did to my career -- both on and off the field. Just the way ... to see him let go, it was almost an insult. It truly is. He didn't need anyone to fight his own battle, and he's going to be just fine. But whoever gets him, as a coordinator or position coach, you're getting a coach who is a hell of a guy that will go to bat for his players. He's one of those guys where, throughout the season, his wife and family would have the wideouts at their house, just like we were their kids. We adopted their daughters as our little sisters. So when you have a type of coach like that you play much harder, because you don't want to disappoint and let him down.

"... When we got to the point where we were fed up at what was going on, he would be the one to pull up aside and say 'be patient, it's all going to work itself out.' He would bring us back down to ground level when we were about to explode at times."

On the Cowboys' decision to interview Ray Sherman for the head coaching job, and then not bring him back:

"[The Cowboys] interviewed Ray Sherman to satisfy the Rooney Rule. They had some knowledge in knowing that they were going to go in some other direction.

On if Ray Sherman had some idea that he wouldn't be back next season:

I think you go into a situation like that where you think 'OK, if I don't get this job, I'll probably be considered for the offensive coordinator job. At worst, I end up being the receivers coach again next season.' To just get let go, after interviewing for the head coaching job, it's a little disrespecting."

C

Cr122

Oh there's no doubt Sherman did a good job here, Jason figured we needed a change at the position.

Reaction score
I thought Norv Turner told him to stfu ?!?!? Oh well, Butter will be lucky to make that Charger's team next year. Maybe he should worry about that.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Ex-Cowboys WR Patrick Crayton: Jerry Jones, not Jason Garrett, behind Cowboys' midseason turnaround

SportsDayDFW sports

If Jason Garrett fails as Cowboys head coach, it will be because:

"What words am I allowed to say on the radio? Karma is a... [There could be some bad mojo going on from the Garrett side of things]. That would be one side of it. The other would be players not responding to him in a positive way. They responded, I believe, this past season because of the guy who signs the checks, Jerry Jones. He's a true players owner. But when he comes in in an authoritative way, you tend to listen."

Wasn't Jerry signing the checks at the beginning of the year as well? And if Romo hyad an Oline like Rivers, he'd be more of a pocket passer, and if Rivers had an Oline like Romo, he would be doing alot more scrambling and trying to extend plays.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Here's more from Crayton....

Ex-Boys WR Patrick Crayton: Cowboys only interviewed Ray Sherman to satisfy Rooney Rule; decision to let him go was 'an insult'

SportsDayDFW sports

Thoughts on former receivers coach Ray Sherman:

"He was a hell of a coach, hell of a guy, and I really appreciate what he did to my career -- both on and off the field. Just the way ... to see him let go, it was almost an insult. It truly is. He didn't need anyone to fight his own battle, and he's going to be just fine. But whoever gets him, as a coordinator or position coach, you're getting a coach who is a hell of a guy that will go to bat for his players. He's one of those guys where, throughout the season, his wife and family would have the wideouts at their house, just like we were their kids. We adopted their daughters as our little sisters. So when you have a type of coach like that you play much harder, because you don't want to disappoint and let him down.

"... When we got to the point where we were fed up at what was going on, he would be the one to pull up aside and say 'be patient, it's all going to work itself out.' He would bring us back down to ground level when we were about to explode at times."

On the Cowboys' decision to interview Ray Sherman for the head coaching job, and then not bring him back:

"[The Cowboys] interviewed Ray Sherman to satisfy the Rooney Rule. They had some knowledge in knowing that they were going to go in some other direction.

On if Ray Sherman had some idea that he wouldn't be back next season:

I think you go into a situation like that where you think 'OK, if I don't get this job, I'll probably be considered for the offensive coordinator job. At worst, I end up being the receivers coach again next season.' To just get let go, after interviewing for the head coaching job, it's a little disrespecting."

He says all this stuff about Rasy Sherman but he4 contradicts himself with this:

So then Ray was the one letting Dez get away with alot of stuff.

Reaction score
What a fucking idiot.

No.. i thought everyone was crying their eyes out becaue we let him go and kept Roy.

Everyone blamed Sherman for not being able to control his receivers too right? Its not Patrick, its Sherman. lol

Actually though, i'd like to know what he's referring to saying Dez got away with alot.. alot. Very interesting..

Dave_N_nc

Spectator
Reaction score
Fuck you Patrick. I spent a fortune getting to Dallas and on tickets against the Giants only to watch you drop passes that could have made my trip
that much better. Keep your JAG mouth shut. God I have wanted to do that for a long time.:)

Top Bottom