C

Cr122

Updated: August 9, 2010, 4:02 AM

CANTON, Ohio - One Cowboy looked a lot better during the Hall of Fame Game against the Bengals than the statistics will show.

In fact, simply looking at the statistics from the Bengals quarterbacks Carson Palmer, J.T. O'Sullivan and Jordan Palmer should bring optimism about McGee's development. The quarterback ratings for the Bengals were 50.4, 7.0 and 42.1, respectively.

McGee completed 12 of 22 passes and 116 yards, which is impressive since he got sacked four times and scrambled out of the pocket what seemed like every other play. He appears to have improved after spraining his knee last August and not participating in the final two preseason games, and the coaches were complimentary of McGee's play Sunday.

"I thought he handled some different situations well," offensive coordinator Jason Garrett said. "It wasn't always clean. I thought he used his feet well and got the ball out of his hand. He made some good, quick decisions.

"He threw to the right guy. He threw it accurately, played decisively."

McGee was able to receive a majority of the snaps in a few morning practices so far in training camp, but he said during the full-team practices the third-team normally gets about two reps every 20-30 minutes. McGee said he enjoyed playing in a game because with the reps spaced out so far in practice, he almost gets "cold."

"It was fun to get out there and just compete, and get in the huddle, and lead the guys, and put together a few drives, and just have fun," said McGee, a fourth-round pick in 2009 who ran the scout team in practice last season. "I think it was fun for our group to go out there and have consecutive plays in a row. You kind of get in a rhythm and make some things happen."

McGee wasn't able to lead a scoring drive, but he noted that the team also didn't turn the ball over and didn't have any delay of games.

"We moved the ball pretty well, and made the plays when they were there, and got rid of the ball, and didn't have anything disastrous," McGee said.

He also said that when the team watches video Monday, they will find things that they need to clean up and correct.

"The little things I think make a big difference," McGee said. "There are going to be some little things, obviously, that we are going to have to clean up when we watch video. But that's to be expected, especially with the young huddle that we're in."

sbk92

Reaction score
I thought McGee started off looking improved from last year. Then the protection broke down and he reverted back to his previous form.

Reaction score
I thought McGee started off looking improved from last year. Then the protection broke down and he reverted back to his previous form.

That's to be expected.

He's raw, and he has to learn to fight the impulse to do what comes natural for him.

Top Bottom