C

Cr122

By Tom Orsborn - Express-News Web Posted: 08/12/2010 12:00 CDT

Once is not enough for Cowboys coach Wade Phillips.

A lot of young players did a lot of good things in Dallas' preseason-opening 16-7 win over Cincinnati on Sunday, but Phillips needs to see more.

That's why he tweaked his plan to increase the starters' playing time in tonight's game against Oakland at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington.

“I was going to play the starters a little bit more, but I want to see those young guys, quite a few of them, get some good playing time,” Phillips said Wednesday in Irving. “I'd like to see more of them. I want to give the guys who showed some good things the chance to see if they can be consistent.”

While the starters are expected to play slightly more than the one series they logged Sunday, it's the youngsters who will receive the bulk of the snaps.

“We will play our starters more than we did, but it's not going to be a full half or anything like that,” Phillips said. “And I do want to watch the young guys, the new guys, the guys that are improving. Because we had quite a few of them that did well, and I'd like to be able to repeat that this week.”

Second-year linebacker Brandon Williams and his fellow Texas Tech alumnus, undrafted rookie linebacker Brandon Sharpe, recorded interceptions against Cincinnati, with Sharpe returning his for a touchdown.

Two other rookies — defensive lineman Josh Brent (fumble recovery), a seventh-round supplemental draft pick, and undrafted safety Danny McCray (interception) — also had takeaways.

Second-year linebacker Victor Butler's three tackles and one sack got him noticed.

“Victor Butler has improved pass rush-wise just this last game,” Phillips said. “You saw him make a couple of sacks last year, and everybody thought, ‘Wow, he's a great pass rusher.' Well, you didn't see the ones he didn't do well on. But he's getting better. So that's a real plus.”

Third-string quarterback Stephen McGee is expected to once again play at least a half. The Bengals sacked the second-year player from Texas A&M four times, but he protected the ball well.

“He threw to the right guy,” offensive coordinator Jason Garrett said. “He threw it accurately, played decisively.”

Phillips said 13 players aren't expected to play, including tight end Martellus Bennett (ankle).

Alex Barron (ankle, finger), Dez Bryant (ankle), Cletis Gordon (neck), Stephen Hodge (knee), Montrae Holland (hamstring), Sean Lee (quad), Sean Lissemore (groin), Akwasi Owusu-Ansah (shoulder), Scott Sicko (concussion), Marcus Spears (knee) and Pat Watkins (knee) also won't play.

Tight end John Phillips is out for the year after injuring his knee Sunday. Wade Phillips said he isn't sure of the status of rookie safety Bryan McCann, who returned to practice Wednesday after injuring his chest Sunday.

With Jason Witten and newly signed DajLeon Farr the only healthy tight ends, fullback Chris Gronkowski could see some time at that position.

Top Bottom