C

Cr122

AUG 4 3:29 PM CT
By Tim MacMahon

SAN ANTONIO – Orlando Scandrick has a chance to prove he’s right.

Scandrick believes he’s not just a slot corner. He considers himself a starting-caliber cornerback that can play the slot in the nickel and outside in the base package. It’s especially important that he convinces others of that ability, considering that he’s entering the final season of his rookie contract.

Terence Newman’s pulled groin gives Scandrick the stage, at least for the preseason.

“He is a very, very good slot defender and those are hard to find,” secondary coach Dave Campo said. “I told him, ‘Hey, here’s an opportunity for you to go out there and do some things at corner and show us what you can do there.’”

It didn’t go well the last time Scandrick had this opportunity.

After a solid rookie season as the nickel corner, Wade Phillips wasn’t ready to declare a winner in Scandrick’s corner competition with Mike Jenkins, declaring that they’d alternate starts until the coaches decided on one. That didn’t take long. Scandrick’s dreadful performance in a Week 2 loss to the Giants was his lone start.

Scandrick, who declined an interview request after Thursday morning’s walkthrough, acknowledged at the time that he struggled switching from outside to the slot. That’s the plan for Scandrick as long as Newman is sidelined, which is estimated to be four to six weeks.

“It is challenging,” coach Jason Garrett said. “There’s no question about that. Corner is obviously one of the most challenging positions on the field. You just see the game from a different vantage point.”

Campo and Garrett both pointed out that Scandrick has significantly more experience than he did two seasons ago. That should make him better prepared for the dual roles.

If Scandrick proves he can handle both jobs, he’ll cash in during the offseason, whether it’s in Dallas or elsewhere.

Reaction score
SCANDRICK.JPG

Teammate: Orlando, turn around and get lined up! the offense is getting set!

Scandrick: I don't turn around for anything! Especially not passes!

JPM

Practice Squad
Reaction score
He looked like shit with Wade as headcoach (who didn't), but once Garrett took over he looked so much better. Probably the better discipline and practices.

lons

UDFA
Reaction score
Scandrick looked better than any of the other Corners we had out there last year. If Newman stays down, I wanta see this kid show us something.

C

Cr122

Scandrick started out slow last year, but finished strong. I think he's talented enough to take over for Newman.

lons

UDFA
Reaction score
Hope so. I have a lot better feeling about him taking over for Newman than I did last year for Ball taking over for Hamlin.

C

Cr122

Hope so. I have a lot better feeling about him taking over for Newman than I did last year for Ball taking over for Hamlin.

Yeah, Alan Ball was horrible for the most part. I still can't believe he's on this roster.

Hopefully, one of the young corners takes his roster spot. Josh Thomas or Mario Butler.

C

Cr122

Yeah, Alan Ball was horrible for the most part. I still can't believe he's on this roster.

Hopefully, one of the young corners takes his roster spot. Josh Thomas or Mario Butler.

lons

UDFA
Reaction score
Did McCann not return? I'd rather having that kid in than anyone at this point.

lons

UDFA
Reaction score
It could we worse. Newman is out with a broke groin, The Gnants just lost one of their corners for the year with an Achilles tear.

rai786

Spectator
Reaction score
That's what going to suck. This kid is going to play his balls off because its a contract year, make the pro bowl, and then have Jerry overpay him.

Top Bottom