cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Anthony Barr. We currently have no edge rushers that scare anyone.

wyvrn

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Barr, Martin, Lewan, Shazier, or CJ Mosley most likely available at that pick

Of those, I prefer Lewan first.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Who do you want us to take rd 1

Mine is Blake Bortles

Could happen, I have said repeatedly he's the only QB I'd take in round one. Seems there's a lot of buzz going on now about him maybe making it to our pick.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Putting a gun to my head and making me give the one name, I say we move down, take the guy listed in my sig first.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Who do you want us to take rd 1
Mine is Blake Bortles

Strengths Weaknesses
STRENGTHS: Good height and a NFL-build. Very athletic mover and picks up chunks of yards with his legs. Anticipates pressure and uses his mobility to move the pocket. Quick feet with very good pocket footwork and maneuverability.

Climbs well and keeps his eyes downfield. Good set up and delivery with a balanced base and quick eyes to survey his reads and take what is there. Terrific peripheral vision and feel to see the entire field. Above average poise and accuracy under pressure. Efficient decisions and always under control of the situation.

Smooth release with good zip and the arm strength to get away with off-balance throws. Very good rhythm and timing from snap to delivery and won't shy from tight windows with his confident arm. Tough, hard-nosed ballcarrier and delivers well on the run.

Strong competitor and exudes toughness, leadership and confidence. Coachable with a high football IQ - game comes natural to him. Hard worker on and off the field and already prepares like a pro. Very alert and observant. Recorded 71 career touchdowns (56 passing, 15 rushing) and a .815 winning percentage as a starter (22-5 career record).

WEAKNESSES: Can make every throw, but lacks elite arm strength. Ball placement has room for improvement and his touch is undeveloped. Throwing mechanics have room for refinement. Doesn't always step into his throws and will sometimes deliver with his momentum falling away from his target.

Needs to learn how to better use his eyes to hold defenders - will too often lead defensive backs to the intended target. Not afraid to take chances, but too many risky throws.

Room to improve his spatial awareness from inside the pocket. Deep accuracy is a work-in-progress. Ball security when scrambling has room for improvement.

COMPARES TO: Mix of Andrew Luck (Colts) and Jake Locker (Titans) - Bortles has the arm strength and delivery that is reminiscent of Luck and also the mobility and some of the inconsistencies of Locker. Bortles projects to the NFL somewhere in the middle of those two players.

--Dane Brugler (1/8/14)

Player Overview
Bortles set Seminole County records with 5,576 career passing yards and 53 touchdowns at Oviedo high school in Oviedo, Fla. The MVP of the Central Florida All-Star Game, he chose to stay close to home and play for the Knights with some programs considering him a potential tight end recruit.

He quickly proved to be a standout quarterback prospect. After redshirting his first year on campus, Bortles earned Conference USA All-Freshman Team quarterback honors while posting a passer rating of 153.9 while appearing in 10 games in 2011.

As a sophomore, Bortles was a second-team All-C-USA pick, starting all 14 games and finishing with 3,059 yards, 25 touchdowns, just seven interceptions, a 62.9 completion percentage and a 144.48 rating. He also rushed for 285 yards and eight touchdowns.

Bortles popped up on many peoples' radars with an outstanding effort in an upset bid against South Carolina at the end of September that fell short. He later led a major upset of BCS contender Louisville, which proved to be the Cardinals' lone loss of the 2013 season.

Ultimately, the South Carolina loss was the only one suffered by Bortles in 2013, as UCF finished 15th in the BCS standings and earned a trip to the Fiesta Bowl, where it upset heavily-favored Baylor on New Year's Day, 52-42.

Bortles was named a first-team All-American Conference selection and named the league's Offensive Player of the Year.

With his strapping frame and success in a pro-style offense, no quarterback captured the attention of the scouting community over the final month of the college football season like Bortles.

What scouts saw in UCF's marathon victory over Baylor was a young quarterback with intriguing traits but whose technique may require a bit more polish before heading to the NFL.

He was given a second-round grade for the 2014 NFL Draft by the NFL Advisory Committee, according to Senior Bowl executive director Phil Savage.

Top Bottom