dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Brugler had him at 22. After we took him he said there weren't 26 better players than Jones.

Said he was the CB they liked the most from what he was told.

Marinelli seemed happy.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Pats get Malcom Brown. Figures.

Also, Jerry practically admitted Jones was a need pick. Said we could get by at D-end or RB with an injury or two, but corner was the position we had to add someone because we'd be sunk if Carr or Scandrick got hurt.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Also, Jerry practically admitted Jones was a need pick. Said we could get by at D-end or RB with an injury or two, but corner was the position we had to add someone because we'd be sunk if Carr or Scandrick got hurt.
Saw in my local paper yesterday a story where Jerruh was saying RB isn't a priority at all.... Which matches exactly what I was saying even before I saw that.

"It's not urgent. It's not urgent in the draft," he said. "We don't have that as a must to come out of here with a running back. But my opinion is we could play with the running backs we've got right now and play well."

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Pats get Malcom Brown. Figures.

DB was a need pick. They need some people with athletic ability, range and play making skills.

Listening to Jerome Henderson now, they love this guy. He did mention they like the position flexibility a lot.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
nfldraftscout had Jones rated as 20th best player in draft.

all 4 cbs sportsline guys had Jones in first rd. Brugler had him going 20th. Rang had him 31 to Saints, Prisco 26 to Ravens, Brinson had him 27th to SF via trade down with us.

Mayock had Jones 5th best CB and 37th overall. Brandt had Jones 28th overall and here is his review:

28. Byron Jones, CB, UConn
Jones (6-foot 5/8, 199 pounds, 4.40 40) is an outstanding athlete. He missed the last part of the 2014 season with an injury, but was burned just 10 times on 27 targets (37 percent), giving up no touchdowns.

Reaction score
Jerry giving the post draft PC.

Over/under on how many minutes until he makes a joke about his last name/their being related?

First words out of Garrett's mouth: "Certainly the right kind of guy." :facepalm

Oh, coach Pasqualoni coached him. There's the connection.

Jerry already saying he could play FS if we could get "Claiburn" back playing like we want. :lol

Seems like an Al Davis pick. If there was no long jump or high jump at the combine, where would this guy be?
But then we have "team captain" and started 39 games. This is the Jason influence, team leader and consistent starter plus he's an intellect who has been a fund raiser for a Connecticut politician.

Bunch of great traits having very little to do with covering, tackling, defending or intercepting. The question is: can he play at a level that warrants that pick?

Love the pick if he is a safety and a punt returner. If he is supposed to be Jason's assistant as a fine upstanding clapping intellect the. This pick makes sense-well qualified.

If he is somehow supposed to replace Claiborne and Carr at CB then this was really really odd because he actually covers worse than Claiborne right now. With coaching maybe he becomes Revis, but right now he's just a politically correct team captain who can jump well.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
20150223_jla_ss1_460_42432827_361572.JPG

look at those guns (no homo)

Reaction score
Love the "RKG" comment. "A+ on right kind of guy scale". Fucking just choke on a giant dick, Garrett.

Jones is a high second round pick at best. Still need DL and apparently we are just rolling with an empty backfield next season. Excellent.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I said earlier he's the anti-Claiborne. He tests well, athletically and intelligence, but he doesn't really jump out at you on the film.

Claiborne was a god on film but his physical numbers didn't wow you and he's mentally weak.

Just have to hope Jones can play up to his tools. I also like CB's that have a chip on their shoulder and he seems like a nice guy.

Overall, I'm glad we didn't blow our wad and trade up for a RB. I'm also hoping we can stay patient in the 2nd round. There's no reason we can't add a RB and a D Lineman tomorrow.

Green Bay supposedly took Randall to play CB a few picks later so I wonder if they would have taken Jones.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I saw Jerry mumbling about position flexibility but I'm starting to wonder if they actually drafted him to play FS. They've mentioned Devin McCourty quite a few times. McCourty was a CB at Rutgers before becoming an All-Pro FS for the Pats.

I think they are biding their time with Claiborne and Carr. If Claiborne magically becomes better, Jones is a FS. If Claiborne struggles or gets hurt, Jones plays CB. I'm not sure what they do with Carr since he refused a pay cut.

Like many, I'm intrigued by his athleticism, but terrified he's a workout warrior. Jerome Henderson hasn't exactly shown he makes secondary players better.

Reaction score
I'm not gonna watch on tv anymore. So you fucks better keep this thread up to date.

Also glad overrated as fuck Randall is already picked.

Please let us get Eric Kendricks in round 2.

Reaction score
I said earlier he's the anti-Claiborne. He tests well, athletically and intelligence, but he doesn't really jump out at you on the film.

Claiborne was a god on film but his physical numbers didn't wow you and he's mentally weak.

Just have to hope Jones can play up to his tools. I also like CB's that have a chip on their shoulder and he seems like a nice guy.

Overall, I'm glad we didn't blow our wad and trade up for a RB. I'm also hoping we can stay patient in the 2nd round. There's no reason we can't add a RB and a D Lineman tomorrow.

Green Bay supposedly took Randall to play CB a few picks later so I wonder if they would have taken Jones.

I know people are sick of Garrett, the RKG thing, and hypocrisy ... but Jones really does seem like a nice, level-headed, upbeat kind of guy.

Here's hoping he can play.

Reaction score
I'm hoping the Cowboys trade down in the 2nd so they can get their choice of the remaining RBs.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
The dc.com show had Henderson in there with them after the draft last night. You can tell he is really excited about he kid.

Sounds they haven't 100% decided whether he will begin at CB or FS, but that was one of the things they loved about him is how goo a prospect they thought he was at either spot.

They interviewed Jones too, and he does seem like a good kid. Smart, team leader, extremely hard working guy. Hard not to pull for him.

Like I said last night don't love the pick but don't hate it either.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Jones looks like he's on that Laron Landry workout plan.

Sure does.

Also, I've always hated this "position flex" argument. It might work on the o-line, but not really anywhere else. If a player is really good, you don't move him around. You know when you move a drafted corner to safety? When he flunks out as a corner.

The game at the pro level is too hard to learn all the nuances of two positions, especially for a player coming off facing the likes of SMU and Stony Brook.

Top Bottom