dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
France has had multiple terrorist attacks, which is a whole different topic. The general topic is about domestic mass shooting incidents... not international terrorists coming in. There are different strategies to combat foreigners bringing weapons across borders that really have nothing to do with the gun control debate here.

Not according to the President you helped elect.

Reaction score
Good Lord man. So you propose we look at a country where a strategy "works" but then don't know what country that is but, oh, by the way, just because something works there it may not work here. But, then again...it just might.
I didn't say *a* country. I've constantly referred to multiple advanced countries throughout this thread. Oh, and multiple strategies, not just one.... which I've said multiple times in my last few posts to you. I'm done fucking repeating myself with you. If you have read what I've said, and have an issue with something specific, then talk about that. Otherwise, get the fuck over it.

Hey pep, if we made access to food more difficult, we wouldn't be so fat and if we made access to cars more difficult, we wouldn't have so many auto accidents and fatalities....
Seems obvious to me... perhaps your beef is with Scot who disagreed with the obvious statement?

What I'm saying is that having access to guns is not the issue. It's the wrong people who have access to them that is the problem. You also mentioned earlier about background checks and closing the loopholes for private gun sales (yes, I did go back to look for your strategies).
Parsing words now huh? You do understand that if guns are more accessible, then the odds are greater that the wrong people will have access to them, right?

I have no issue with this. I have no issue with background checks or a medical clearance of some sort which is something that some countries require. I have no issue with real and meaningful discussion on the topic.
Wait a second... You're saying that after reading the thread and seeing the strategies I've discussed, you're actually in agreement with some of them? Funny how that works. But I'm guessing you're going to keep arguing that I haven't been specific enough for you.

But I'm also aware of countries that have strict gun laws and they still have problems with gun violence (ie: Brazil). There are millions of unregistered firearms in Brazil. When we discuss the issue of gun control, we need to look at both sides and at least admit, to some extent, that gun control in many countries does not work.
I've never said otherwise... I've also repeatedly said that some things that don't work in other countries might work here, and that some things that do work in other countries may not work here. Cripes man, do we need to start the thread over for you, so you can catch up?

And while we're on this talk of strategy, maybe a few of the reasons why countries experience less violence is because they've maintained their traditional family values and Judaeo Christian beliefs. The family structure has not been undermined and is still valued. That maybe they don't reward the improper behavior and laziness with endless handouts that only fuel that conduct and culture. There are a lot of variables that no one seems to take into account and they refuse to because it doesn't fit into their political agenda and talking points (I'm not saying this is the case with you).
I certainly think those are valid points that need to be in the discussion. I don't know that we can close pandora's box given the depths to which this country has fallen... there's probably not a fix for this. But understanding why we are where we are is valuable to consider. Recognition of the problem may help slow us down this road we're on.

One has certainly bled into the other in this topic. The recent tragedies we've seen involved terrorism but that didn't stop folks from bringing in gun control into that issue. So, unfortunately, it has a lot to do with the current debate.
This thread started because of the shooting at the college in Oregon. Terrorism has only bled into the topic because those who claim gun restrictions won't stop all gun violence think it's some feather in the cap of ther argument. I'll save you the time... I've said multiple times in this thread that no amount of gun control laws will ever stop all types of gun violence. I just believe that anything we can do to decrease the frequency of these incidents is worth it.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Yes, dbair. I helped elect him by voting for the other guy... twice.

Derp.

Its ok Pep, I know you're too ashamed to admit it, like probably 80-90% of the others who voted for him now and acted like they didn't.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
By the way, lemme chime in here on the idea of people on the no fly list not being allowed to purchase firearms. This is something that sounds good, as long as you don't give it any thought at all.

Firstly, you're conflating a Constitutionally guaranteed right, with something that isn't a right - flying. Secondly, you can be put on this list for any or no reason, they don't have to tell you why or even if you're on it, and appeals are nearly impossible. So all this would be is a end run around the 2nd Amendment.

No. There's no relationship between the no-fly list and the right to keep and bear - and buy - firearms. Such a measure would not pass Constitutional muster.

Reaction score
Its ok Pep, I know you're too ashamed to admit it, like probably 80-90% of the others who voted for him now and acted like they didn't.
It's actually more embarrassing to know I voted the same way that your dumb ass voted.

Top Bottom