C

Cr122

Updated: August 19, 2010, 8:06 PM
Block Party
Notes: Opportunity Finally Awaits Brewster
Rob Phillips
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer
Email | Follow robphillips3 on Twitter

Brewster has returned from a season-ending pectoral injury suffered in 2009.

OXNARD, Calif. - Robert Brewster has been working toward this opportunity for the last 13 months.

Brewster is expected to make his first career start at right tackle Saturday night against the San Diego Chargers. He will replace starter Marc Colombo, who had arthroscopic knee surgery Monday and is aiming to return by the Sept. 12 season opener.

Brewster, a third-round pick in 2009, tore his pectoral muscle working out last summer before training camp and had what turned out to be season-ending surgery. He has spent the last year rehabbing and reshaping his body for a chance to compete.

He's got it Saturday.

"Over the break I stayed here the whole year, worked out with (strength and conditioning coach) Joe (Juraszek) the whole time," Brewster said. "All the training staff, they were really behind me 100 percent and they really kept me going and kept my head up.

"I'm just happy to be back on this field doing what I do."

The Cowboys want to see what he can do. He has provided mix results in practice and games, which is expected from a young player who missed a full year, but overall the team is pleased by his improvement.

The offense could send extra protection his way to combat the Chargers' pass rush. Brewster has gotten beneficial reps daily against linebackers DeMarcus Ware and Anthony Spencer.

"I don't know if they come any better than the guys that we have," offensive line coach Hudson Houck said. "I know there're good ones, but these two are real good. He'll be battle-tested. Pass protection is probably the major issue and communication is the next issue."

Lights Out

When Phillips heard Chargers linebacker Shawne Merriman would likely miss Saturday's game against the Cowboys because of an injured Achilles' tendon, Phillips playfully responded, "Oh, shoot."

Phillips coached Merriman for two seasons when he was the Chargers defensive coordinator, so he knows the kind of havoc the former first-round pick can wreak in the backfield.

Some fans and media, though, assumed it might be good for the Cowboys' young tackles to get some experience against a pass rusher such as Merriman. But Phillips said they see that test every day going against DeMarcus Ware and Anthony Spencer.

"I'd rather he not play against us," Phillips said of Merriman. "He's a heck of a football player."

- Edward Lewis

Barron, Watkins Out

Head coach Wade Phillips said tackle Alex Barron (ankle) and safety Pat Watkins (knee) will be out against San Diego, while wide receiver Jesse Holley (hamstring) might play.

Holley suffered a minor hamstring injury during practice Sunday. He participated in Thursday's walkthrough for the first time since hurting himself.

"I'm going to lobby to play 100 percent," Holley said. "If I can run, I'm going to go."

Barron's status was unclear during the week after he sat out with an ankle injury he sustained against Cincinnati in the Hall of Fame game. Watkins has been nursing a knee injury throughout training camp. He returned to practice Tuesday without contact and practiced during team drills Wednesday.

Rookie safety Akwasi Owusu-Ansah will play in his first preseason game as a Cowboy after shoulder surgery he underwent in March, as will rookie linebacker Sean Lee. Tight end Martellus Bennett, who has dealt with an ankle injury throughout training camp, should also be available Saturday after practicing this week.

Injury list: Tackle Marc Colombo (knee), G Kyle Kosier (knee), S Pat Watkins (knee), DE Marcus Spears (knee), TE John Phillips (knee), LB Stephen Hodge (knee), TE Scott Sicko (concussion), S Mike Hamlin (concussion), OT Alex Barron (ankle), WR Dez Bryant (ankle)

- Rowan Kavner

Jones Misses Practice

Third-year running back Felix Jones was excused from practice Thursday for personal reasons, Phillips said. He is expected to play Saturday.

Thus far this preseason, Jones has gained 11 yards on only three carries but is expected to see more playing time versus the Chargers.

- Joseph Garcia

MichaelWinicki

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Brewster is only like 6'4" and is a little rolly-polly looking. Not sure if he's tackle material, but we'll find out.

Top Bottom