Rynie

In the Rotation
Reaction score
What are you going on about?

I can be amped about the team and still despise the guy who is just along for the ride. You could literally replace Garrett with that faggy little grandson fuck, you'd still win 8 games with Romo at QB.

Ok, buddy.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
You could literally replace Garrett with that faggy little grandson fuck, you'd still win 8 games with Romo at QB.
But it takes REAL COACHING and limiting liability, to get 12 wins with him.:rainbowdance

Reaction score
I think Garrett has decent ideas. Many are recycled ideas from good coaches but that's not a bad thing. Removing him from the offense was critical because although I think he wants to the right thing (run the ball more), he can't help himself and gets pass happy. Plus I think he gave Romo too much leash and let him get pass happy

I still think Jerry forced him out of the offense and he deserves credit for that

I think my biggest beef with Garrett is he wasted good years of Romo, Witten and Wares careers figuring out how to be a HC and pissing around on offense.

Based on just this year. Do you think Garrett should be considered for Coach of the Year?

If it was his first year, I'd be impressed. But its not. Its his fifth year. And he's made an ass of himself the previous three. Again, the team improved because his role diminished. I think the team will be good as long as he has a stud group of assistants around him - propping him up. Weekend at Bernies.

Jimmy Johnson was a walk around coach and he had a great staff around him. Not saying he is like Jimmy, just saying that having great coaches around you doesnt make you a bad coach. Its pretty smart actually.

I think my question is how do we know what Garrett is and is not involved in? The video that yimyammer posted, Garrett is doing everything he is preaching about and you can see the results on the field. I just have a hard time believing that Garrett deserves zero credit for this season.

Reaction score
Based on just this year. Do you think Garrett should be considered for Coach of the Year?

Fuck no.

Linehan is the hero on this offense. Callahan for getting these young pups to excel so quickly. Marinelli for masking our deficiencies on defense.

Garrett is a cliche repeater Monday thru Saturday, then a clapping scarecrow on Sundays.

Jimmy Johnson was a walk around coach and he had a great staff around him. Not saying he is like Jimmy, just saying that having great coaches around you doesnt make you a bad coach. Its pretty smart actually.

Did Jimmy go through three offensive coordinators and three defensive coordinators his first three years on the job? Widdling away at the careers of a potential Hall of Fame QB, a hall of fame pass rusher, (two of the hardest positions to fill on a team) and a hall of fame TE?

Obviously Jason had no idea what he was looking for in a staff, or how to assemble a staff. It almost looks like he just lucked into this set up. Can't give him credit there.

I think my question is how do we know what Garrett is and is not involved in?

Well, we know he got his playcalling taken away from him. And suddenly we're focused on the run and we're winning ball games.

Lookit... I'm not trying to convince you of anything. I'm explaining my stance. If you want to give Garrett credit, thats fine. Its my belief that he's in over his head as an NFL head coach - which isn't his fault because he didn't have the experience and probably didn't deserve the job even as OC, let alone HC. Can't fault him for accepting it. Jerry wanted him, hired him, forced him in the position, and he's basically been learning on the job ever since.

I personally don't think he's worth a shit.

Reaction score
Will a one-and-out lead to Jason Garrett’s ouster? | ProFootballTalk

Will a one-and-out lead to Jason Garrett’s ouster?
Posted by Mike Florio on December 30, 2014, 10:19 AM EST

When the Cowboys’ season ends, coach Jason Garrett’s contract expires. What happens next remains to be seen.

Most assume that Garrett’s 12-win season will be enough to get him a new deal from owner Jerry Jones. But there’s a school of thought in some league circles that, if the Cowboys lose at home on Sunday against the Lions, Garrett could be gone.

No one knows for sure, because Jones has applied tunnel vision to the 2014 season. The goal is to go all in and try to recapture lost glory, ignoring concerns about tomorrow until tomorrow comes. If the tomorrow that comes on Monday involves the season being over in Dallas, Jones could decide to explore other opportunities.

Of course, so could Garrett. But no one else seems to be interested in hiring Garrett. Which still makes sense.

Reaction score
A real coach of the year would be a hot commodity. Nobody will be offering Ginger even an OC interview.

Reaction score
I don't think we could lose to the Lions if we tried, based on what they showed on Sunday - both teams.

Even if we did, no way Garrett gets canned. Jerry is having a field day.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Did someone really put our current red turd in the same sentence with Jimmy?

Jimmy was a proven great coach before he ever got to Dallas. He put together his staff and everything else about the Cowboys. He hired all his assistants, most of whom were with him in Miami and even back to Oklahoma State and Pitt. He ran the draft. He made the trades. He did it all.

He damn sure didn't have Jerry hiring and firing his assistants, telling him who will and won't call plays, ignoring him while he pouts in the draft room, or calling him a trainee whose mistakes we have to work through.

Come on people!

Reaction score
Bur srsly...

This year doesn't erase the 6 years of shit we've seen Garrett do. If he does this every year for multiple years, then you can have the discussion maybe he's not the worst coach on this staff.

All I'm giving him credit for at this point is wanting Linehan in here... and maybe for really letting him control playcalling. His coordinators have been strong enough to avoid putting him in the position to make ridiculous decisions.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score

Jimmy was a proven great coach before he ever got to Dallas. He put together his staff and everything else about the Cowboys. He hired all his assistants, most of whom were with him in Miami and even back to Oklahoma State and Pitt. He ran the draft. He made the trades. He did it all.

He damn sure didn't have Jerry hiring and firing his assistants, telling him who will and won't call plays, ignoring him while he pouts in the draft room, or calling him a trainee whose mistakes we have to work through.

Come on people!
I'm glad I finished reading the thread before replying. Saved me the trouble of typing what you posted.

Jimmy built his own loyal and trusted staff, over decades of coaching. It was his "crew" and they had chemistry. They were friends and a team outside of coaching as well. The wives were also all friends. It's a far cry from anything resembling the hodgepodge we see today.

Great post.

Reaction score

Come on people!

I wasnt comparing Garrett to Jimmy. I even prefaced the comment, but by all means dont let me stop your rant.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score

Come on people!

He would do that to Jimmy now though. Say Jimmy was coming up through the college ranks in this day and age.

Top Bottom