Reaction score
No debating it, Jerry was stupid for letting Crayton go

When it's the Dallas Cowboys, turmoil and disagreement will be a combo I warmly embrace. Not only is it good for my kind of business, but (sound the philosophical alert) life is best when it's about the debate.

Football is life. Football is about the debate.

Continuing along with some of my other deep thoughts, the Cowboys screwed up on Patrick Crayton. Jerry Jones is flat wrong.

And anyone who agreed with Jerry's dumping of Patrick Crayton is bleeping stupid.

I love a civilized philosophical football debate.

Roster cutting time at Valley Ranch came this weekend, and the Cowboys trimmed to a still-fluid 53-man squad, with the most important element being the 45 who will suit up on Sundays.

The ongoing issue with Crayton was finally resolved Friday. He got ousted, but in a very beneficial kind of way, since he goes to San Diego, a good team, with a good quarterback and a good head coach who has an offensive flair.

Removing Crayton, however, from Valley Ranch was a move that makes absolutely no sense, at least based on the goal of still playing football in February, and in Arlington.

Admittedly, however, the situation at wide receiver, and the dismissal of Crayton, is not the No. 1 concern with this team. For now, and probably for the course of the season, the unsettled state of the offensive line puts the entire offense in a state of flux.

But if the O-line will allow plays to be made on a consistent basis, then that brings us back to who makes those plays.

Based on private opinions from Valley Ranch, there seems to be a mixed bag on the reasons for the departure of Crayton, but I don't hear anyone giving the key answer of "it makes us better." Not even Jerry can say this move makes his team better.

And if it doesn't make you better, then why do it? Was it the money? That's actually scary to think Mr. Jones put that much importance on a $2 million salary.

Crayton's agent indicated Friday there was a personality dispute with Wade Phillips, but Wade will like any player Jerry tells him to like. And since when did Wade have any offensive-side-of-the-ball influence?

During a radio show rant about the Crayton trade, I got a message from Mr. Babe of local TV fame. The message said I was missing the point on Crayton. Several attempts to reach Babe failed on Friday and Saturday. So I don't know the point he thinks I missed.

On Friday night, I heard Mr. Dale of local TV fame comment on the local uproar of the Crayton dumping, then he added, "but the Cowboys going to the Super Bowl will not depend on whether Crayton is here or not."

Hold it, Mr. Dale. Success does depend on who is dependable. And who Tony Romo thinks is dependable.

Crayton is gone for one reason. Roy Williams.

It's not because Dez Bryant was drafted. Dez has nothing to do with it.

Roy Williams is the mistake who keeps on costing. The cost is $13 million for this season. Jerry won't admit the blunder.

And then there were also those who shrugged off the loss of Crayton with "he's only the No. 4 receiver."

Sez who? Jerry? That's Jerry's depth chart that had Crayton as No. 4. It's not Romo's.

Romo basically has five targets when he's passing, depending on the formation. Based on last season, his five targets were Miles Austin, Crayton, Roy Williams, Jason Witten and Martellus Bennett. To hear the Cowboys tell it, another tight end, John Phillips, was going to factor heavily this season, mainly because Phillips made a huge impression on the team last season, and there were big plans for him this time.

A blown-out knee in early August has cost Phillips the season.

Romo trusted Austin, he trusted Crayton, and he certainly trusted Witten. He has limited trust in Williams, and just about no trust in Bennett.

And while you can count me among the many who have already "anointed" Dez (Big Bill would be livid over that development), we just won't know until we know.

With Crayton gone, a huge trust element for Romo, particularly in clutch situations, is gone. Yes, I remember my dog-cussing of Crayton over the pass drop and cutting off a route in the playoff disaster against the Giants. Yes, I remember Patrick was posse member No. 1 for Eldorado Owens in Eldo's locker room wreckage.

But still, Romo trusted Crayton.

At the moment, his trust elements have been reduced to Austin and Witten. Hopefully, Dez will earn that right.

But Roy?

"Roy will be fine. They just need to run the right plays for Roy," Crayton told me Friday. But after a season and a half, what are those right plays? Is Jason Garrett simply ignoring those "right plays?" Even Patrick, on his way out of town, was making excuses for Uno Uno.

Jerry, of course, totally protected Roy last season. Roy remained a starter when Crayton was a more trusted receiver. With Dez, that won't be the case if Dez shows he's ready to make an impact. Jerry will allow Dez to move ahead of Roy.

Even so, if Jerry also demanded Roy could not fall under No. 3 receiver, then the dump of Crayton makes no difference.

I just thought that with the Super Bowl a legitimate goal, Jones might actually allow the most dependable players to be on the field this season. In removing Crayton, Jerry proved me wrong.

Jerry went stoopid on me. On that, there is no debate.

Read more: http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/0...bating-it-jerry-was-stupid.html#ixzz0yf38PDly

C

Cr122

I'll be honest, I thought we would of let go of Hurd before we did Crayton.

sbk92

Reaction score
Yep.

But I don't get why this is news. Jerry doesn't know football. He has absolutely zero clue on how to put together a winning football team. He isn't stupid here for this move, he's stupid period. He needed someone else to clean up his own mess so we can contend today. He can't do it himself. Now and in the future. He's not a personnel guy, no matter how fat the wallet.

sbk92

Reaction score
I'll be honest, I thought we would of let go of Hurd before we did Crayton.

Sam Hurd is one of the most over paid players in the entire league.

He's a fringe bottom of the roster special teams player. That's his ceiling. That's all he is.

1.7 million for that? Laughable. I can find a dozen Sam Hurds in UDFA every year.

C

Cr122

Sam Hurd is one of the most over paid players in the entire league.

He's a fringe bottom of the roster special teams player. That's his ceiling. That's all he is.

1.7 million for that? Laughable. I can find a dozen Sam Hurds in UDFA every year.

Yeah, it's another dumb move on our part.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Crayton wanted out. Period. He's a notorious malcontent. By trading him, we get somerthing out of it as opposed to outright cutting him where a team like the Redskins---in dire need of WRs, he'd be their best right after Moss, or Vikings would snag him up.

MichaelWinicki

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Crayton was over-rated. He looked much better than he actually is because of the talent around him.

Don't get me wrong, he was OK as a #3. But he was over-matched during his time as a #2. He couldn't get separation from better corners. Then you have the issue of him being on the wrong side of 30.

sbk92

Reaction score
Crayton wanted out. Period. He's a notorious malcontent. By trading him, we get somerthing out of it as opposed to outright cutting him where a team like the Redskins---in dire need of WRs, he'd be their best right after Moss, or Vikings would snag him up.

Greg Ellis wanted out for years. But he manned up when the games started and had some of his most productive years in Dallas at the end of his tenure.

I don't give two shats what Crayton wanted. It's no reason to make a bad trade.

C

Cr122

I suppose you could look at it that way, but I actually thought Crayton would of accepted his role here as a fourth receiver because of what happened during the OTAs.

sbk92

Reaction score
Crayton was over-rated. He looked much better than he actually is because of the talent around him.

Don't get me wrong, he was OK as a #3. But he was over-matched during his time as a #2. He couldn't get separation from better corners. Then you have the issue of him being on the wrong side of 30.

He's the best 4th WR in football. Which is what he would have been here. Maybe even a 5th.

We traded that away for next to nothing. In a season where everyone seems to think they can contend.

Chalk that up as yet another ridiculous decision by the oil salesman masquerading as GM.

sbk92

Reaction score
I suppose you could look at it that way, but I actually thought Crayton would of accepted his role here as a fourth receiver because of what happened during the OTAs.

He would have. In the same way Greg Ellis accepted the move to OLB and sharing time with Spencer.

Players chirp sometimes. But when they run out of options and the games are being played, almost all of them will give everything they got whenever they see the field.

Fans want to justify a clear bad trade. There is no justification for it other than Jerry Jones doesn't know what he's doing.

Reaction score

yea i dont get y people dont understand crayton wanted out like u said y keep a WR when his production could really decline this year do to dez and roy possibly getting on track possibly

MichaelWinicki

In the Rotation
Reaction score
He's the best 4th WR in football. Which is what he would have been here. Maybe even a 5th.

We traded that away for next to nothing. In a season where everyone seems to think they can contend.

Chalk that up as yet another ridiculous decision by the oil salesman masquerading as GM.

Was he a decent receiver IF he did not have to play either as a #1 or #2.

Oglesbee probably has more upside due to better physical skills.

Time to move the relic out and give the kid an opportunity.

It's not just about contending this year, but contending next year and the year after as well.

C

Cr122

I will say this on Crayton's behalf, he has a better shot being a #2 in San Diego than he ever did hear.

That's exactly why he wanted out, he couldn't beat out Dez and he knew it.

sbk92

Reaction score

It's not just about contending this year, but contending next year and the year after as well.

Yeah, I'm all for giving Ogletree the chance. You can do that while keeping Crayton on the bench this year for insurance. That trumps some 6th or 7th round pick. It's just horrible value.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

You cannot call a guy thaty as a #3 WR overrated, especially when he put up such numbers like 37 receptions, 622 yards, and 5 TDs, while in addition to being the #4 passing option. If wha tyou say is true that he was only looked better because the talent around him, then how come that hasn't worked with Roy?

I don't think losing Crayton doesn't really make or break us. It's not like we didn't see this coming.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Greg Ellis wanted out for years. But he manned up when the games started and had some of his most productive years in Dallas at the end of his tenure.

I don't give two shats what Crayton wanted. It's no reason to make a bad trade.

What the fuck is your point? Greg Ellis was CUT IN THE END. Crayton was traded in the END. We didn't get nothing for Ellis, but we got something for Crayton and kept him from a divisional rival that certainly would have snagged him up. Gosh, you're such an idiot.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

We all did, but apparently he went to Jones and asked for a release. But what doesn't make sense to me is that, he's basically still in the same pecking order: instead of Witten, it's now Gates, instead of Austin, it's now Floyd, and instead of Roy, it's now Nanee. So he's pretty much the #3 WR/#4 passing option with them.

One thing is that I will not miss Crayton on PR.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
He would have. In the same way Greg Ellis accepted the move to OLB and sharing time with Spencer.

Players chirp sometimes. But when they run out of options and the games are being played, almost all of them will give everything they got whenever they see the field.

Fans want to justify a clear bad trade. There is no justification for it other than Jerry Jones doesn't know what he's doing.

Ellis complained all the way to when they showed him the door. We needed to get Spencer as the starter and more reps. And it turned out for the better. You certainly are a Parcells' ballwasher. You like holding onto older players that are beyond their time.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

+1.

Top Bottom