Mr.Po

Reaction score
Niners to name Jim Tomsula coach
Updated: January 14, 2015, 6:07 PM ET
ESPN.com news services

The San Francisco 49ers will promote defensive line coach Jim Tomsula to head coach, sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

The 46-year-old Tomsula, who has spent the past eight years as San Francisco's defensive line coach, would replace Jim Harbaugh, who parted ways with the Niners on Dec. 28 to become the new coach at the University of Michigan.

The Niners missed the playoffs for the first time under Harbaugh by going 8-8 this season en route to a disappointing third-place finish in the NFC West.

Harbaugh's first three seasons in San Francisco were marked by overwhelming success, as the Niners appeared in the NFC Championship Game three straight times and reached Super Bowl XLVII.

But after getting off to a 7-4 start this season, San Francisco struggled down the stretch, losing four of its final five games.

Harbaugh's fourth season with the Niners was marred by the shortcomings of quarterback Colin Kaepernick, who regressed in his second full year as the starter, the lengthy absence of star pass-rusher Aldon Smith, who was suspended nine games for multiple violations of the NFL's personal conduct policy, and the off-field troubles of defensive lineman Ray McDonald, who was released last month following an allegation of sexual assault.

Reaction score
Odd choice.

Although I only really say that because I know nothing of the guy.

Hope it fails though. Because screw the 9ers.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Saw where Del Rio wound up in Oakland as the head man too.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Tomsula has never been a coordinator and his only head coach experience was a 1yr stint in NFL Europe I think

I think he is well thought of as a DL coach though.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Doug Marrone may have overestimated his appeal

I was about to post this earlier in the day. I would imagine the stunt he pulled in Buffalo wasn't well thought of by other league owners. They may have decided he wasn't worth wasting time on.

Remember right after this was announced everyone thought he was THE big thing. And nobody offered him shit.

Reaction score
So Adam Gase is still out there. Atlanta has waited around, and usually that means you miss out on someone. I thought Gase and Quinn were the most intriguing guys out there... them and Bowles. Buffalo hired Ryan, Oakland hired Del Rio, and 49ers hire Tomsula... Atlanta hasn't moved, and may be in a better position than they were at the beginning.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
Tomsula has never been a coordinator and his only head coach experience was a 1yr stint in NFL Europe I think

I think he is well thought of as a DL coach though.

Supposedly the players love him. I read the front office has a lot of respect for him and they have a very good relationship too. Which makes sense they go with him seeing how badly it ended with Harbaugh.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
So Adam Gase is still out there. Atlanta has waited around, and usually that means you miss out on someone. I thought Gase and Quinn were the most intriguing guys out there... them and Bowles. Buffalo hired Ryan, Oakland hired Del Rio, and 49ers hire Tomsula... Atlanta hasn't moved, and may be in a better position than they were at the beginning.

ESPN was suggesting earlier today that Atlanta's top choice is Quinn. It's just how long do they want to wait for him...

Reaction score
Supposedly the players love him. I read the front office has a lot of respect for him and they have a very good relationship too. Which makes sense they go with him seeing how badly it ended with Harbaugh.

The owners want a yes man who won't challenge their authority. Only idiots like Snyder and teh Jerrah would like someone like Harbaugh walk in the first place, so I doubt they're getting much with this new dude.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
ESPN was suggesting earlier today that Atlanta's top choice is Quinn. It's just how long do they want to wait for him...

Pioli and Dimitrof have a lot of ties to Josh McDaniels, they could be waiting for him

Top Bottom