dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
NFL considering pulling the plug on Thursday Night Football?

Posted by Matt Yoder on Nov 28, 2016 08:45

Nobody likes Thursday Night Football. The players and teams don’t like it because if the extremely short week and the toll that it takes on everybody involved. The fans don’t like it because the quality of play takes a noticeable dip from games that are played on Sundays because of the short week. And shoot, the networks probably don’t like it either because they have to pay an extra couple hundred million dollars for games that they could have the rights to air on Sundays.

But in Roger Goodell’s quest for world domination and putting the NFL on your televisions seven nights a week, Thursday Night Football has expanded into a full season’s worth of games. A few years ago, it was initially expanded to a half season as a ploy to put exclusive games on NFL Network and boost the league channel’s distribution and carriage fees. Then the league opened the games to the highest bidder and created not one but two television packages and a Twitter deal. Now it’s impossible to remember week to week who’s broadcasting games between CBS, NBC, NFL Network, and Twitter.

Alas, with ratings taking a tumble this season and the complaints about Thursday Night Football getting louder, the NFL could finally be coming to the realization that less is more.

According to Mike Florio and Pro Football Talk, the NFL is seriously considering reducing the TNF schedule or eliminating the games entirely when the rights agreement ends after the 2017 season.

The league realizes that, with every team playing once on a short week each season, many of the Thursday games necessarily will have reduced appeal. Adding extra prime-time games to the Sunday/Monday inventory also has created a sense that the league has saturated the marketplace with stand-alone evening games.

Options include (but aren’t limited to) getting rid of Thursday games completely and possibly starting the package at Thanksgiving and continuing it through the end of the season, with games likely to generate broad interest selected in April for November/December programming. Thursday Night Football debuted a decade ago as a device for providing game content for NFL Network, allowing the league-owned operation to generate higher fees from cable and satellite providers.

As the source explained it, the money generated from NFL Network due to the annual slate of exclusive games isn’t large enough to make it an impediment to broader efforts to strike the right balance between giving national audiences enough, but not too much, pro football — and to ensure that games played in prime time are truly worthy of being seen

Has the league saturated the marketplace with bad games between bad teams that not a lot of people have interest in watching? Absolutely. How many seasons do we have to sit through a Thursday night Jags-Titans epic struggle or watch the Browns’ annual primetime appearance? The extra Thursday game has also further diluted the quality of games elsewhere in primetime (especially Monday Night Football) and the games that are shown on Sunday afternoons in traditional timeslots.

Make no mistake about it, the NFL is facing this dilemma because of their own greed and single-minded pursuit of revenue. From the start everyone knew that Thursday Night Football was sacrificing a lot of things – quality of play, player safety and well-being, popularity amongst fans – but the league went all out with it anyways.

It’s hard to imagine the league admitting complete defeat with their dream of owning Thursday nights in the fall so it’s possible we might see them dial back the schedule to a half season once again. That way the league can still have their Thursday night games late in the season or even put some games on NFL Network. Maybe they can even construct a mini-package of 2 or 3 games for networks to bid on so they can eek out a few million dollars.

It’s the right move to make, we’ll see if the NFL actually follows through with it in two years time or if the revenue generated from year-long Thursday Night Football is too tempting to pass up.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Doubtful. There is never enough money for the owners so I dont see them giving up this revenue stream.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
I think the road team has won like 20% of these games, and the fug color rush unis ain't helping.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I think the road team has won like 20% of these games, and the fug color rush unis ain't helping.

Only a true idiot like Goodell would believe that "color rush" jerseys (which are ugly as fucking hell) would translate into "interest"

They should do away with him the same day they do away with TNF

Reaction score
I didn't read the article but I'm all in favor of eliminating TNF.

And put the first 3 rounds of the draft back on Saturday while we're at it.

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
Just did a little quick math and the average score this year on TNF has been on the close order of 28-15.
As mentioned, the color rush unis are awful for the most part.Some of those red ones looked like they should have a trap door in the back because they mostly resemble long johns.
All in all, in most cases I'd rather be watching James Spader shooting people in the face on the Blacklist.
I would not be disappointed if TNF disappeared.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
For me it's a love/hate thing. I love the week starting early, on Thursday night. Hate it when it's the Cowboys, and they aren't playing the following Sunday.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind an occasional "Thursday Night Special" like we used to get back in the 70's or early 80's (it was usually once or twice a yr I think) and I also don't mind the late season Saturday game/s when the college season ends (also something they used to do regularly)

But I despise the every Thursday night garbage and the matchups are normally shit. It was a stupid fucking idea by this idiot commish

Mr.Po

Reaction score
Leave Thursdays for the college game.

If they truly care about player safety and injuries give the players at least 6-7 days to recover and scrap the Thursday BS.

How about a few more Saturday games at seasons end when college season ends and give us better viewing options than holiday figure skating and the Doritos nobody gives two shits bowl between a 6-6 & 5-7 teams that inundate TV during this time frame.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
As well as they should. They don't want to deluge the public too much with the NFL. That's why baseball is where it's at. People's attention spans are much shorter these days. And that's why the NFL is where it's at as well. People can't get enough of it with how short the season is. Too much of anything is a bad thing.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Doubtful. There is never enough money for the owners so I dont see them giving up this revenue stream.

That's my thinking too. If anything they should have the right to flex any game to Thursday. I mean who the fuck wants to watch Jacksonville vs Tennessee. At very least put some good teams on Thursday.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
That's my thinking too. If anything they should have the right to flex any game to Thursday. I mean who the fuck wants to watch Jacksonville vs Tennessee. At very least put some good teams on Thursday.

I think it is a negotiating ploy either with the union or the networks not sure which, but the next time the old fart NFL owners cut a revenue stream will be the first. Money is their version of crack and all these TV packages are sold separately to maximize revenue.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
They said on Mike & Mike this morning that the PFT story wasn't true...

Yeah I heard that.

Oh well, stupid is par for the course for the current commish, so I'm sure he'll just keep on doing what he is doing.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I think they should do it 4 times a year and do a better job of ensuring top match-up's. Stick with the teams with the better fan bases: us, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Patriots, Broncos, etc.

Week 1

Week 4

Week 8

Thanksgiving week

Reaction score
They should leave just the T-giving game. The product is way too diluted, particularly with the stupid 9am London game mixed in on random Sundays. It's too hard to keep up with who the hell is playing and when. There's a reason fans stopped watching on Monday night also. People work more and don't want to spend 3 hours watching 10 mins of game action mixed in with 2hr and 50 mins of Peyton Manning commercials.

Sunday is pro football day. I'm down for the Saturday games post-college football also. Nobody has time for these games on work nights and I know the teams hate that it ruins the routine.

Reaction score
Report: NFL moving London games to 1 p.m. ET
Nov
11/30/2016 11:30:04 AM
| More
Don't expect any more early-morning kickoffs from London beginning next season. After three London games kicking off at 9:30 a.m. ET this season, the NFL is reportedly set to do away with the brunch-time kickoffs for American audiences, Will Brinson of CBS Sports reports.

On the heels of a report recently about the league changing kickoff times, Joe Flint of the Wall Street Journal advances things by reporting Tuesday the league plans to lump the London games in with the rest of the 1 p.m. ET NFL games.

[T]he league is planning some changes for Sunday with regards to broadcasts of games that are played in London. Currently, those games air early in the morning and the ratings have been tiny. Starting next season, games played in London will air in the afternoon in the United States along with the rest of the games, a person with knowledge of the matter said.

The issue with 9:30 a.m. ET games is you're losing a quarter of the country, because of how early the game starts. There are also plenty of people on the East Coast unable to watch football that early for various reasons.

This season, three games -- Jaguars-Colts in Week 4, Giants-Rams in Week 7 and Bengals-Redskins in Week 8 -- all featured brunch-y kickoffs for the NFL, but those time slots are likely to disappear.

The 1 p.m. ET games aren't as singularly exciting for London purposes, but there have been enough international games to make them not worth singling out at this point.

It just makes more sense to run the London games at the same time and to limit the amount of exposure for the league in various windows. People love football, but there is only so much football that can be watched in the average week by the consumer.

Don't forget to follow us on Twitter at The Redzone (@TheRedzoneorg) | Twitter

Like us on Facebook at http://facebook.com/Theredzone.org

Top Bottom