LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Just finished a bottle a couple weeks ago when I ran out of Johnny. Not bad.....

I cut my teeth on Johnnie Red. After having the more refined and smoother ones: Black, Blue. Red is a bit harsh. Can only drink it as a Godfather (scotch + amaretto).

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah, here's the thing: you don't draft offensive players in the second round to play part-time or to "back up" star players. Second rounders might not be expected to start their rookie year but definitely the second year. We are now in Year 3 with Escobar and he's still a part-timer at best. A smarter team would have learned from the Bennett fiasco, but that ain't us.

No argument from me on that. Remember even idiot Jerruh was lecturing the coaches on "if we take him here you make use of him"

That said, I do firmly believe if he got his chance as the #1 guy he'd fare pretty well.

Reaction score
Wasn't Escobar the guy they asked Romo to watch film on and weigh in on? Which Romo absolutely loved the player. Or was that TWill?

I know they asked Romo to check out one of them.

Also, it was reported we took Escobar out from under San Fran as they were targeting him too. They then took some other TE. How did that guy pan out?

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Exactly bb and dbair. Remember when we drafted Pablo, we were going to the wondrous "12" with two TEs starting like New England. Even Jerry was skeptical, but got assurances from the coaches he'd play more than Bennett and Fasano.

Now the story is he couldn't possibly have played him much because, well, we have Jason Witten. It's comical.

Last edited:
Reaction score
No argument from me on that. Remember even idiot Jerruh was lecturing the coaches on "if we take him here you make use of him"

That said, I do firmly believe if he got his chance as the #1 guy he'd fare pretty well.

There is another explanation. Did Bennett fare better on other teams after leaving Dallas? Was he more productive on the Giants and Bears than he ever was on the Cowboys? Could be that the HC does not develop players or use their strengths. Could Escobar go to a Eli Manning type team who just throw to tall? Escobar has the hands, (at the combine they said hands but no speed) but they have him running the same WR routes downfield based on speed and timing that Bennett failed with too. As. Parcells would say, Escobar is not a gazelle, he is a giraffe.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
There is another explanation. Did Bennett fare better on other teams after leaving Dallas? Was he more productive on the Giants and Bears than he ever was on the Cowboys? Could be that the HC does not develop players or use their strengths. Could Escobar go to a Eli Manning type team who just throw to tall? Escobar has the hands, (at the combine they said hands but no speed) but they have him running the same WR routes downfield based on speed and timing that Bennett failed with too. As. Parcells would say, Escobar is not a gazelle, he is a giraffe.

which makes his acquisition even more retarded because if you can't block, you sure as hell better be fast like say Jimmy Graham, but he ain't.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
I think Escobar is going to be more than quality depth this year.

I know, I said I didn't see it happening earlier in the offseason; but that was because I didn't think Dallas will utilize him much at all.

But he's been getting a lot of work in the slot. So maybe they aren't trying to put a square peg in a round hole and ask Escobar to be strictly an in-line TE.

That's hope.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
How has Andrew Gatchcar looked? I haven't seen any preseason games but highlights; but Broaddus is saying that he's been pretty consistent wherever he's lined up, and will likely start at either Sam or MLB if Hitchens isn't ready to go week 1.

Reaction score
How has Andrew Gatchcar looked? I haven't seen any preseason games but highlights; but Broaddus is saying that he's been pretty consistent wherever he's lined up, and will likely start at either Sam or MLB if Hitchens isn't ready to go week 1.

Gazchar is quite a find. He seems like one of those Parcells type smart LBs like Vrabel who can play anywhere and be solid. He has a degree in Civil Engineering and understands the mechanics of the defense enough to be effective as Mike. Tom Landry had an engineering background as well. I'm not sure he is fast or strong or a hard hitter but Dallas does not lose anything with him in the game.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Yeah, I agree. Gachkar looks surprisingly solid to me. Pretty big and athletic. A lot better than Brinkley, who I'm sure is gone.

Reaction score
Yeah, I agree. Gachkar looks surprisingly solid to me. Pretty big and athletic. A lot better than Brinkley, who I'm sure is gone.

Brinkley is like an undersized NT masquerading as a MLB. Can plug a hole and play the run but is fairly immobile. Gachkar plays special teams well and is more determined - showing the dexterity and focus to force his limited skills to succeed. Gachkar is certainly not McClain or Lee or even Durant but gets things done. Hitchens is the same. Not upper tier but dependable.

Top Bottom