dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Get ready folks. There's a really decent chance most of us won't get to see the Cowboys playoff game next Saturday night.

I mentioned weeks ago, but the NFL quietly threw the Peacock streaming network a bone and had a regular season game on it, upon doing some research I noticed that the league ALSO decided to put a playoff game on Peacock, which was originally slated to be the afternoon game on Saturday 1/13. Presumably that game would be the least attractive of the wildcard games for next weekend.

Last night at the end of the Texans/Colts game, the league pulled a fast one and has now moved the Saturday night game on 1/13 to the Peacock network. Right now, there is NO simulcast for it, meaning if you can't access Peacock you cannot watch the game. I would assume the Sports Bars would have it, but not sure.

Twitter and other online forums are buzzing over the likelihood that the league has decided the Cowboys will be in that Saturday night slot, which would seemingly result in millions of new signups for a service that probably sux ass. Currently Peacock says they have 28 million subscribers.

I said it weeks ago that this was incredibly moronic on behalf of the NFL, putting playoff games onto a streaming platform that the vast majority of the country doesn't have. Amazon, YouTube and now Peacock. The NFL continues to fuck itself.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
As fyi, the official schedule for next weekend probably won't be released until late tonight, once the outcome of the Bills/Dolphins game is known.

There are night games on Saturday (Peacock), Sunday night (TBD) and Monday night (ABC/ESPN). Last year, the league stuck us into the MNF slot and forced us to go on the road, then have a short week to prepare and go on the road to San Fran.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
This is the stupidest shit ever!

IF I have to pay for Peacock just to watch my Cowboys in the playoffs I will not be happy!!!!!

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
11 of the 40 most watched games were cowboys games

If they put the Cowboys game on Peacock they are fucking stupid

But from a business standpoint for Peacock it’s the smartest move and would net the highest amount of new subscriptions

So fuck you NFL if you pull this bull shit in the playoffs
61540ddcef0904070fb0544f56caa4d4.jpg

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
IF I have to pay for Peacock just to watch my Cowboys in the playoffs I will not be happy!!!!!
This is what reporters like Breer are intimating, that the league has some sort of ownership into Peacock and in an effort to drive up membership, might stick Dallas into this game. Cowboys fans won't do it, but if the league DID do this erveryone should just give a huge FUCK YOU to Goodell and the league and refuse to sign up for Peacock. Let the fucking ratings crater and hopefully Peacock suffers too.

This is such a massive screw job to fans no matter what team gets put into the Sat night slot.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
This is what reporters like Breer are intimating, that the league has some sort of ownership into Peacock and in an effort to drive up membership, might stick Dallas into this game. Cowboys fans won't do it, but if the league DID do this erveryone should just give a huge FUCK YOU to Goodell and the league and refuse to sign up for Peacock. Let the fucking ratings crater and hopefully Peacock suffers too.

This is such a massive screw job to fans no matter what team gets put into the Sat night slot.

Watch, the next announcement will be from Peacock stating that you can’t just sign up for one week/month and then cancel your subscription

Or that you have to sign up for at least six months or a year at a time.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Watch, the next announcement will be from Peacock stating that you can’t just sign up for one week/month and then cancel your subscription

Or that you have to sign up for at least six months or a year at a time.
Yep, wouldnt be surprised at all.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
And regardless of who is playing, it's a 100% douchebag move by Goodell and the league.
Peacock is NBC's streaming platform. This is part of the media buy package from last year. It's akin to when the league first launched NFL Network. It wasn't even on many cable systems yet and they scheduled a Green Bay/Dallas game on it and we as fans were up in arms.

We all screamed at our cable operators and by the next year, they all had NFL Network on their sports tier.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Peacock is NBC's streaming platform. This is part of the media buy package from last year. It's akin to when the league first launched NFL Network. It wasn't even on many cable systems yet and they scheduled a Green Bay/Dallas game on it and we as fans were up in arms.

We all screamed at our cable operators and by the next year, they all had NFL Network on their sports tier.
I know what Peacock is Dooms.

And I'm pretty sure the NFLN playoff games were simulcast on one of the alphabet networks. This Peacock game Saturday night is not.

It's fucking awful and 100% lame. Once again the league is proving 100% that they care nothing about true NFL Fans. Virtually everything this fucktard commissioner has done or supported has made the game itself worse or made it worse for the fans.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the NFLN playoff games were simulcast on one of the alphabet networks
Not initially. Had to go to a big bar in the city to watch that game. It was not simulcast. And the strategy worked, we all howled at our cable company.

This is about REVENUE for the league - NBC paid huge for the privilege of exclusivity for these playoff games. It's the commissioner's job to rake in revenue. And I just checked - wow lookie here, 30 day free trial. It's the 21st Century. Streaming is normal. Just can't share in your outrage.

And oh yeah the rules changes that cleaned up the game? That took the wanton visciousness out of it? I'm all for that now. When the headgear was weaponized the game was trash and we didn't realize it. Look at it now - wow players and coaches adjusted and had to go back to better fundamentals and it's a better game. Sportsmanship has returned. It's a better product.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
This is about REVENUE for the league - NBC paid huge for the privilege of exclusivity for these playoff games. It's the commissioner's job to rake in revenue. And I just checked - wow lookie here, 30 day free trial. It's the 21st Century. Streaming is normal. Just can't share in your outrage.
That's kind of horseshit Dooms. The Peacock money was separate from NBC's deal for the NFL stuff.

They essentially made people choose PPV for two games, and one of them is a Saturday night broadcast that they would have gotten far more viewers from putting it on NBC rather than Peacock.

The NFL already makes an enormous amount of money, the little bit of dough around Peacock is literally pennies compared to their total gate.

It was a fucktard move. Not to mention the vast numbers of complaints I see online from actual Peacock subscribers about the streaming quality.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
That's kind of horseshit Dooms. The Peacock money was separate from NBC's deal for the NFL stuff
It's all included in the TV package they signed last year, and that's a four year deal with escalating rights fees as well, every year.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
It's all included in the TV package they signed last year, and that's a four year deal with escalating rights fees as well, every year.
Google can be your friend too Dooms, but I put the note from Albert Breer about the money being separate for Peacock.

It's also just a 1yr deal with the streaming service for Peacock. It had nothing to do with the NFL's broadcast deal with NBC.

Top Bottom