Reaction score
NFL analyst's head coach power rankings: Where does Cowboys' Jason Garrett fit in?
By SportsDayDFW.com

NFL.com media analyst Elliot Harrison recently released his coaching power rankings, 1 through 32.

So where would you think the coach of an NFL team with a regular-season won-loss record of .500 (40-40) over the past five years would be ranked? Somewhere in the middle? Bingo.

The Cowboys' Jason Garrett is ranked 17th, just ahead of Rams coach Jeff Fisher and behind Texans coach Bill O'Brien.
Here's what Harrison wrote about Garrett: Garrett has proven he can win with Tony Romo. Annnnnnnd he's also shown he can lose with Matt Cassel or Brandon Weeden or Kellen Moore. The only backup QB Garrett has won anything with came during his interim season, in which he and Jon Kitna/Stephen McGee partnered to go 5-3. The winning tally furnished a more permanent position for the redhead, himself a former Cowboys backup QB. The perception of Garrett, fair or unfair, is that he is a puppet of owner Jerry Jones. What is more than perception is that this team goes as far as Romo's body can take it, thus keeping Garrett planted in the middle of the pack.

Here are some more nuggets from Harrison's rankings:

Eagles coach Doug Pederson, who has exactly no NFL coaching experience, is ranked 32nd.

New York Giants coach Ben McAdoo, the team's offensive coordinator the past two years who's replacing two-time Super Bowl winner Tom Coughlin, is ranked 28th.

Redskins coach Jay Gruden, despite being the coach of the defending NFC East champs, is ranked 24th.

Last year's Eagles coach Chip Kelly, who got run out of Philly and now is coaching the 49ers, is ranked 20th.

A number of head coaches with Cowboys ties are ranked ahead or just behind Garrett, including Todd Bowles (New York Jets, 22nd), Jack Del Rio (Oakland, 19th), Mike Zimmer (Minnesota, 13th) and Sean Payton (Saints, 9th).

The top five: Arizona's Bruce Arians at No. 5; Pittsburgh's Mike Tomlin at No. 4; Green Bay's Mike McCarthy at No. 3; Seattle's Pete Carroll at No. 2 and the evil hoodie, Patriots coach Bill Belichick at No. 1.

Wonder if Pete would be No. 1 if he had just made sure the Seahawks handed the ball to Marshawn Lynch at the goal line a couple Super Bowls ago?

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
So where would you think the coach of an NFL team with a regular-season won-loss record of .500 (40-40) over the past five years would be ranked?
In the lower half, near the bottom - considering he had Romo all those years...

Reaction score
He should be ranked dead last. Nobody has underachieved with a franchise QB as much as Garrett has.

Reaction score
Yeah it's pretty bad when you consider Garrett has had an All Pro QB his entire coaching tenure and is getting the same results as guys who have journeyman at best types at the helm.

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
Garrett in no way should be rated as high as 17th, but then you look a the coaches on that list and you realize how bad the coaching is in the NFL. Where he is rated says more about the guys rated lower than him than it does about him. Its pretty pathetic when you consider how many bad coaches and bad QB's there are in the NFL now.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I have a feeling at the end of the year that Jay Gruden, Chip Kelly, and at least one the two new NFC East coaches (Pederson or McAdoo) will be ranked ahead of Garrett.

TomRoberts97

Spectator
Reaction score
This how I see this year turn out it come to a couple games an I think it all be on Jason G what I'm saying is this 35 secs before halftime you can take a Neil down an go in leading by 6 or you can try to make a field goal and lead by 9 but if Miss an the other team makes a few plays kicks a field goal now you go into halftime up by 3 then late in. In Game that will come back and bite you thank about the playoff game at Green Bay it if we just go in at halftime the dez catch don't mater I like Jason G he just needs to have a good year coaching an Tony Romo in best place to win in other words know what's going on at all time

bvhawkeye

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Yeah it's pretty bad when you consider Garrett has had an All Pro QB his entire coaching tenure and is getting the same results as guys who have journeyman at best types at the helm.

And when Jason had to turn to journeymen QB last season due to injury we all know what a total disaster that turned out to be...

Iamtdg

Reaction score
Bottom half of the league is correct. He is middle of the pack with Romo, and near the very bottom without him.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I have a feeling at the end of the year that Jay Gruden, Chip Kelly, and at least one the two new NFC East coaches (Pederson or McAdoo) will be ranked ahead of Garrett.

I actually think Kelly will be back in college football by February of next year, after he is dumped by the Whiners for going 2-14

Top Bottom