sbk92

Reaction score
Anybody follow college ball enough to have a clue about next week's draft?

I know they say the top is weak. No superstar prospect this year.

Cythim

Reaction score
Anybody follow college ball enough to have a clue about next week's draft?

I know they say the top is weak. No superstar prospect this year.

I only saw a few of them play during the tournament. Derrick Williams did a great job of taking over a few games and getting Arizona past some teams they shouldn't have beaten. Chris Singleton is a good 3 on both ends but needs to work on his scoring. None of the freshmen got as much camera time as last year's batch did so I know nothing about them or the international players. Never saw Kyrie Erving but he is supposed to be a great PG who knows how to distribute and score.

Clutch88

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Horry says the Lakers need a point guard to replace Fisher

Kurt Helin

Jul 15, 2011, 8:45 AM EDT

The Lakers looked old and tired, getting swept by a Mavericks team that was actually older but showed more passion. Dallas was committed to executing their game plan in a way the Lakers no longer were.

The Lakers need to rekindle that fire, they are counting on Mike Brown to do just that. But it will take some personnel tweaks as well.

Former Laker Robert Horry was at the ESPYs, and asked by Mark Medina of the Los Angeles Times what had to change he didn’t hesitate — point guard.

“I think they need another good point guard. No disrespect to Derek Fisher. Derek is alone. I’ve been there, done that. They need a point guard who can distribute the ball, get everyone in order and not be afraid to tell Kobe no,” Horry said. “You can’t outrun age. I think age has caught up to him. There’s some things he can do, but there are some things he can’t do.”

My perfect scenario would be to bring Deron Williams to LA.

C

Cr122

Updated: December 8, 2011, 7:31 PM ET

Sources: Chris Paul to Lakers
:towel

ESPN.com news services

The Los Angeles Lakers have agreed to surrender Pau Gasol and Lamar Odom in a trade forNew Orleans Hornets point guard Chris Paul, sources tell ESPN.com's Marc Stein.

Sources close to the process tell Stein that the Houston Rockets remain part of the talks and are trying to complete a deal that would send Gasol to Houston and the Rockets' Luis Scola, Kevin Martin and Goran Dragic to New Orleans, along with Odom.
In Paul, the Lakers would be getting an All-Star and U.S. Olympic Team member who has averaged 37.1 minutes, 18.7 points and 9.9 assists a game in his six seasons.
Paul can opt out of his current contract with New Orleans after this season, and the Hornets have been fielding trade offers in an effort to acquire new players for the star guard rather than letting him walk in free agency.
Paul averaged 15.8 points and 9.8 assists last season.
The Rockets, who lost Yao Ming to retirement, covet Gasol, while the Hornets do not, increasing the likelihood Gasol won't stay in New Orleans, a source told ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher.
Furthermore, the Rockets have young talent the rebuilding pieces Hornets general managerDell Demps wanted in a trade for Paul, namely, young talent such as Martin and a protected future first-round pick Houston acquired from the New York Knicks. The Hornets would look to acquire that pick as part of the proposed deal, the source told Bucher.
Information from The Associated Press was used in this story.

C

Cr122

Not a big signing but he's a great 3 point shooter.

Lakers to sign Jason Kapono

December, 8, 2011
DEC 8
8:45
AM PT
By Brian Kamenetzky
ESPN.com
Archive

The Lakers had a real problem with outside shooting last season.

nba_g_kapono11_300.jpg

Evan Gole/NBAE/Getty Images
Jason Kapono likely won't be putting the ball on the floor much this year, but if he hits his 3's, it'll be $1.2 million well spent.

Outside shooting happens to be something-- really the one thing, from a basketball standpoint-- Jason Kapono is very, very good at. Plus, he comes cheap.

Mash those ingredients together, andthe news from ESPNLA.com's Dave McMenamin the Lakers have agreed to a one-year, veteran's minimum deal for about $1.2 million makes some sense. The 30-year old Artesia High graduate and former UCLA product's career mark of 43.7 percent from downtown instantly making him the most accomplished bomber on the roster, and the Lakers don't commit anything substantial in dollars or contract length.

The move obviously comes with some potential downside. Kapono barely played last season in Philadelphia, averaging only 4.7 minutes in 24 games, and in '09-'10 he appeared in only 57. His effectiveness from beyond the arc has slid every season since converting an astonishing 51.4% with the Heat back in '06-'07. If Kapono isn't hitting triples, he's not bringing anything of value. Of course, if he wasn't in some way flawed, the Lakers couldn't actually afford to sign him. So you take what you can get, and in L.A., with so many dominant players requiring double teams in the post, Kapono should have opportunities to succeed.

How much he'll play or in what configurations is still an open question (I suspect the minutes won't be heavy) but as SI.com's Zach Lowe points out, the Lakers are in decent position to absorb Kapono's shortcomings, at least defensively: "This is where players such as Ron Artest and Matt Barnes, who willingly defend multiple perimeter positions, become so useful. The Lakers will have the luxury of hiding Kapono wherever they’d like if the right people are on the floor."

The Lakers still have plenty of work to do going forward in bolstering the roster. Looking at my list of "skill set free agents," Kapono isn't my first choice from the shooter bin, but he's not my last, either, and more importantly the Lakers bring him in without burning their mini mid-level exception, the only real lure they have in the F.A. derby. They needed a shooter and found, potentially at least, a very effective one, so long as expectations for other contributions are tempered. Plus, the price is such they can always go try and grab another.

Like most moves they'll make in this truncated offseason, you have to cross your fingers and hope it works out.

To subscribe to the K-Bros podcast via iTunes, click here. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for full video coverage of the Lakers.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Lakers wanted Kapono bad the year he came out. He went 1 pick higher and we were stuck with Luke Walton.

My son idolized Kapono, he wore 24 and the headband to be like him. His three-point shooting? Not so much.

C

Cr122

He won't see the floor much with Bryant and Paul but this kid will nail the 3's when given the chance. Check this out.

[video=youtube;qyQCRupjx9A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyQCRupjx9A&feature=related[/video]

Reaction score
The chris Paul deal is off as of now the NBA is stoping the trade. The source is hoopshype.com and espn

Top Bottom