C

Cr122

Jr. fan as well...but I'll be the first to admit his career is all but washed up now as a car driver

I'm a fan too, but I will say he's a bit overated at this point.

He's expected to win and doesn't do it. I've grown very frustrated of Jr. these past few years.

I'm real close to jumping on the Kahne train.

sbk92

Reaction score
Jr. fan as well...but I'll be the first to admit his career is all but washed up now as a car driver

His career isn't washed up. That implies he was once something.

He wasn't very good to begin with. He was simply the son of Dale Earnhardt.

Reaction score

he was 18 cup wins(only 5 active drivers have as many) and 2 nationwide championships good, not to many drivers can lay claim to a career like that...but I do agree he hasn't quite lived up to nearly as good as he started his career

C

Cr122

That's true though, having the same name as your dad in professional sports doesn't always begin or end in success.

C

Cr122

the only similarity with his dad are there last names unfortunately

I know, and I am a fan of him too.

But the more I see this kid struggle the more I see him failing as a Nascar driver.

If you put him in his dads car his a different driver, I don't get it. I just can't figure Dale Jr. out anymore.

I really hope he get's it together and proves me wrong.

Reaction score
he lost his aggressiveness to win IMO hes turned into the "smart driver" instead of pushing his limits...he rarely wrecks which is a good thing but that has to take a toll on his aggressiveness

C

Cr122

he lost his aggressiveness to win IMO hes turned into the "smart driver" instead of pushing his limits...he rarely wrecks which is a good thing but that has to take a toll on his aggressiveness

Sometimes I think he is holding back, like he's scared or something.

I certainly hope not you have to be aggressive in racing.

sbk92

Reaction score
He's not a bad driver. But he's not one of the better ones either. He's been in top equipment his entire career with modest success.

He's probably like the 15th-20th best driver in the series yet he's hyped like a star.

sbk92

Reaction score
Kahne's going to Hendrick in 2012. We'll see how he does in comparison to Jr. with the same equipment. I think I already know.

sbk92

Reaction score
IDK why, but I cannot be a Nascar fan.

You would probably like attending a race.

Especially a night race at Bristol or Richmond. And even better if you have a favorite driver and can listen to his in car audio.

But even for the sheer holy shat of it, it's worth going to once. I've had high maintenance chicks tell me it was awesome.

C

Cr122

IDK why, but I cannot be a Nascar fan.

What's the difference if it's a car or a horse?

They both are trying to achieve the same goal. win the race without taken out or killing your opponent. lol

C

Cr122

Updated: August 15, 2010, 5:55 PM ET
Kevin Harvick clinches Chase berth

BROOKLYN, Mich. -- He already had horsepower, handling and the points lead. Now Kevin Harvick has a win this season at a track other than Talladega or Daytona.

Harvick passed Denny Hamlin with 11 laps to go Sunday, then held on to win the NASCAR Sprint Cup series race at Michigan International Speedway.

Michigan Results

Kevin Harvick used a late pass to win at Michigan and become the first driver to clinch a spot in the Chase for The Cup.
1. Kevin Harvick, Chevrolet
2. Denny Hamlin, Toyota
3. Carl Edwards, Ford
4. Greg Biffle, Ford
5. Matt Kenseth, Ford
7. Tony Stewart, Chevrolet
7. Juan Pablo Montoya, Chevrolet
8. Martin Truex Jr., Toyota
9. Elliott Sadler, Ford
10. Joey Logano, Toyota
Complete results

It's yet another sign that Richard Childress Racing is back after a disappointing 2009, and Harvick is the championship favorite with only three more races left before the Chase.

"Everybody was embarrassed last year, and we've really been running pretty well since probably the last six or eight weeks of last year," Harvick said. "It didn't just happen today."

Harvick's No. 29 team gambled by staying on the track instead of making a pit stop during a late caution. It paid off with Harvick's third win of the season and his first this year on a non-restrictor plate track.

The victory was another significant step in the resurgence of Richard Childress Racing -- and it came at a track where RCR typically hasn't been very strong.

"Somebody's got to beat Jimmie [Johnson] this year, and it might as well be RCR," Childress said.

Hamlin finished second, followed by Roush Fenway Racing drivers Carl Edwards, Greg Biffle and Matt Kenseth.

Team owner Jack Roush was back at the track this weekend, days after his release from a hospital following serious injuries in a plane crash.

"It's great," Edwards said. "We really wanted to get a win for him today, but that's a strong performance for us."

Edwards has finished seventh or better in six straight races and he likes his chances going into the Chase. But nobody has been as consistent as Harvick this season.

"I really don't see how he can't be, really, the favorite going into it," Hamlin said.

With the Chase looming, Hamlin acknowledged that his Joe Gibbs Racing team is lagging behind Harvick and RCR.

"Those guys, they're tough," Hamlin said. "They've really got everything working right now. Their cars are handling really well, and they've got horsepower. Those are two things that are tough to beat."

Harvick isn't embracing the role of championship favorite, saying Johnson is the driver to beat until somebody actually beats him.

"Until you beat that guy, there's no reason to put that pressure on yourselves," Harvick said.

It was a rough day for several Chase contenders. Kurt Busch blew an engine, Mark Martin damaged his car early and spent most of the afternoon running outside the top 30, and Jeff Gordon was in the top 10 when he had a flat tire with 47 laps to go.

Gordon finished 27th, Martin finished 28th and Busch finished 40th.

Leaders Tony Stewart and Harvick stayed on the track instead of making pit stops when a caution came out with 32 laps left -- leaving them at the front of the field with most other drivers on fresher tires and 28 laps to go on the restart.

Hamlin took the lead from Stewart with 23 laps until the end, but Harvick stayed on his tail and finally got past him with 11 left. Stewart slipped to sixth at the finish.

Busch, who came into the race fourth in the points, sustained "catastrophic" engine failure, bringing a caution on lap 33.

"We didn't get it done," Busch said. "We'll bounce back and be back next week. We should be OK in points. We'll fall all the way to ninth but the big thing is having the cushion on 12th."

Things didn't go much better for Martin, who had to spend extra time in the pits after scraping his car's nose early in the race. Martin entered the day only 10 points ahead of Clint Bowyer for the final Chase-eligible spot in the standings.

Gordon appeared headed for a good finish, then a tire went flat in the middle of heavy traffic. He avoided heavy contact with other cars or the wall but fell far back in the field.

It was a much better day for Harvick, who won't be under much pressure the next three weeks.

"Do you think it'd go over well if we went on vacation?" Harvick joked.

Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press

Top Bottom