sbk92

Reaction score
-- I was very impressed by how well the backups played on defense. I don't remember the last time we came out so sharp in the first preseason game. The 1st team D was great, but that was expected. I did not expect so many of the depth players being so active. To me, that was the story of the game. Brandon Williams, Victor Butler, Brandon Sharpe, Josh Price-Brent, Jason Williams, Marcus Dixon....hell, even Jimmy Saddler-McQueen, they all made their presence felt. It was good to see. And against a quality opponent too.

-- That first drive reminded me this is the same team as last year. Right down the field with relative ease and into the red zone. Then the field shrinks, we don't get any push from the offensive line and we're kicking a FG. I hate, Hate, HATE this offensive line. The homers are on the boards this morning talking about only the backups not being good enough. Bullshat. These starters aren't good enough either.

-- John Phillips. It's a shame it looks like his season is over. We're talking about a guy who would have made a big impact as a FB and TE. A 6th round find. I'll take that guy over Martellus Bennett any day. Sicko showed some natural receiving skills, but he won't give us what Phillips would as a blocker.

-- Stephen Bowen is really becoming a force as a pass rusher. He dominated in that game. I'm going to pay close attention to him the rest of the preseason to see how he's holding up in the run game. Hopefully he's improved. He'd be an upgrade over Spears if he has. Ratliff and Bowen and Ware and Spencer.....well, that's a lot of guys you have to account for in the blocking scheme.

-- I'll chalk this one up to nerves. One more like this and I'm putting together a short list of vet kickers as plan B. We don't need the best FG kicker in the league but we can't go into a season with what Buehler showed last night.

-- I thought Free was solid. Nothing great like I'm reading elsewhere.

-- It's hard to evaluate Stephen McGee when he doesn't have a pocket to operate in. My gut tells me he's not the guy, but it's just not fair to make a blanket statement like that when he's running for his life on every play.

-- Pat McQuistan is so bad, that he actually has me hoping to see Mike Tepper on the field. Honestly, shatcan this dude. He can't play. He's had years to develop. Cut your losses and move on. He's not even a functional backup.

-- Overall I thought we controlled the game from start to finish. Which was impressive. I expected a drop off when the 1's were on the bench. It didn't happen. Our 2nd team D even shut down Cinci's starting offense that 2nd series. There's reasons to get excited. But the play of the offensive line keeps me grounded. I just know those guys are going to end our season prematurely this season. I saw nothing last night to convince me any differently.

Reaction score
Disclosure: I missed the game.

Brandon Williams, Victor Butler, Brandon Sharpe, Josh Price-Brent, Jason Williams, Marcus Dixon....hell, even Jimmy Saddler-McQueen, they all made their presence felt. It was good to see. And against a quality opponent too.

This is certainly good to read.

-- That first drive reminded me this is the same team as last year. Right down the field with relative ease and into the red zone. Then the field shrinks, we don't get any push from the offensive line and we're kicking a FG. I hate, Hate, HATE this offensive line. The homers are on the boards this morning talking about only the backups not being good enough. Bullshat. These starters aren't good enough either.

Not disagreeing, but didn't Felix Jones run in a touchdown before fumbling?

-- Stephen Bowen is really becoming a force as a pass rusher. He dominated in that game. I'm going to pay close attention to him the rest of the preseason to see how he's holding up in the run game. Hopefully he's improved. He'd be an upgrade over Spears if he has. Ratliff and Bowen and Ware and Spencer.....well, that's a lot of guys you have to account for in the blocking scheme.

I've grown to appreciate Bowen the past two + seasons. I like him a lot better than Hatcher or any other reserve lineman.

-- I'll chalk this one up to nerves. One more like this and I'm putting together a short list of vet kickers as plan B. We don't need the best FG kicker in the league but we can't go into a season with what Buehler showed last night.

I don't chalk it up to nerves because truthfully, I don't think Beuhler is the type to get nervous. This is the same kid that challenges defensive backs to footraces. He's an alpha-male. Those types don't get nervous.

Unfortunately, I just don't think he's that good. He could improve . . . sure. But I think he's at best a 70% kicker.

-- Pat McQuistan is so bad, that he actually has me hoping to see Mike Tepper on the field. Honestly, shatcan this dude. He can't play. He's had years to develop. Cut your losses and move on. He's not even a functional backup.

I can't believe he's even still on the roster. Seems like he's been with us since 2003 or something. But yeah, he's at the end of the rope.

sbk92

Reaction score
Not disagreeing, but didn't Felix Jones run in a touchdown before fumbling?

They ran their classic delayed draw there, because the offensive line can't push anyone back without the defense being tricked first and having to respect the pass.

Felix got stopped before the goal line and fumbled the ball into the end zone.

C

Cr122

You pretty much summed up everything sbk.

One player I didn't see you point out was Barron. The defensive ends were blowing right by him.

His foot work looked terrible, and he showed poor upper body strength.

Also, I hate to say it but Alan Ball played pretty well. But I'll give most of the credit to the pass rush. A good pass rush can always make your secondary look good.

Newman looked average to me, and almost like he was playing in a flag football game.

I pretty much agree with what you said, Free did look solid, I also thought Brandon Sharpe looked good. I thought Barber was in on defense when he returned that. lol

With Phillips likely gone for the year, Sicko probably makes this team. One other player I want to point out is Tashard Choice, he played a good game a lot of those runs were because of his abilities, but on the one blocking play by Phillips, that was a great block, we're gonna miss Phillips he would of been a huge addition to our offense this year.

And finally on our offensive line starters, yeah we went down and scored on the first drive with a FG, but Tony was still rushed on some of his throws, and if it wasn't for his abilities to escape the pocket it would of looked worse.

Gurode didn't seem to play that well and had a penalty called on him. Colombo seemed as if he had problems holding back the defensive ends just like Barron did. Just not as bad.

Don't get me wrong we weren't terrible, but I do see issues with this offensive line still. sbk is right I want to see more of a Mike Tepper, because Baby eater plain sucks, and Brewster didn't play well either. Maybe when Holland comes back he can help, but if we have any injuries to our starting offensive line this year, we will be counting on the defense to win us a lot of games.

I don't want to go back to the days of only scoring FG's. That is frustrating.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I do not like how Felix picked up so much weight. He looks like Barber lasat year. I'm concerned as to whether he will lose his burst and start having fumbling problems.

sbk92

Reaction score
Wait. At no point did I say I want to see more of Mike Tepper. I was merely using that bum's name to make a point of how bad another bum was.

I'd trade in our entire roster of offensive linemen for a can of coke. We've got two talented blockers who are fat, lazy and aging, a new LT who is just okay and nothing whatsoever after that. Honestly. We don't even have a young guy who might develop into something.

A major overhaul is in order. We should have addressed it years ago.

sbk92

Reaction score
If you couldn't garner too much from the first preseason game, coaches in Dallas and Cinci wouldn't be studying the game film as we speak.

C

Cr122

Wait. At no point did I say I want to see more of Mike Tepper. I was merely using that bum's name to make a point of how bad another bum was.

I'd trade in our entire roster of offensive linemen for a can of coke. We've got two talented blockers who are fat, lazy and aging, a new LT who is just okay and nothing whatsoever after that. Honestly. We don't even have a young guy who might develop into something.

A major overhaul is in order. We should have addressed it years ago.

-- Pat McQuistan is so bad, that he actually has me hoping to see Mike Tepper on the field.

Well, okay....you mentioned him, whatever.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
If you couldn't garner too much from the first preseason game, coaches in Dallas and Cinci wouldn't be studying the game film as we speak.

Well of course they are going to watch film. There are things that are needed to be worked on. Personally, this is the kind of play that I expect and want to see for a first preseason game. I'd be highly suspicious if they lit it up and just ran it down their throats and executed everything perfectly. This would give us a false sense of security.

Now, I am expecting a bit more improvement in the next preseason game, which is now 3 days away.

What I don't get is how people are overreacting with the red zone. If the Cowboys had punched it in, many of you that are now complaining would be saying, "big fucking deal! It's preseason. Let's see if they can do it in a real game."

There is no satisfying some of you.

C

Cr122

Well of course they are going to watch film. There are things that are needed to be worked on. Personally, this is the kind of play that I expect and want to see for a first preseason game. I'd be highly suspicious if they lit it up and just ran it down their throats and executed everything perfectly. This would give us a false sense of security.

Now, I am expecting a bit more improvement in the next preseason game, which is now 3 days away.

What I don't get is how people are overreacting with the red zone. If the Cowboys had punched it in, many of you that are now complaining would be saying, "big fucking deal! It's preseason. Let's see if they can do it in a real game."

There is no satisfying some of you.

We will improve on offense.

Now it's the defense's turn to lay an egg. lol

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
We will improve on offense.

Now it's the defense's turn to lay an egg. lol

You got to love the depth at our LB corp and Sean Lee hasn't gotten into the mix yet. And Bowen... he needs to start. He's better than Hatcher. Between Spears, Bowens, and Hatcher, Bowens has the most hustle. You get him going, and not only must teams worry about Ratliff, Ware, and Spencer, but Bowens as well. 4 pass rushers out of the front seven.

C

Cr122

You got to love the depth at our LB corp and Sean Lee hasn't gotten into the mix yet. And Bowen... he needs to start. He's better than Hatcher. Between Spears, Bowens, and Hatcher, Bowens has the most hustle. You get him going, and not only must teams worry about Ratliff, Ware, and Spencer, but Bowens as well. 4 pass rushers out of the front seven.

Oh absolutely, we have some good pieces to add to the puzzle.

Leon Williams,Brandon Sharpe,Brandon Williams,Sean Lee,Victor Butler, Jason Williams. Am I missing anyone?

Someone isn't going to make it because we have good depth.

sbk92

Reaction score
I'll hold off on annointing those guys. Other Butler, who showed something last year too.

But they did look good last night.

sbk92

Reaction score
There's still a chance that the 2009 Draft class isn't a total waste.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Oh absolutely, we have some good pieces to add to the puzzle.

Leon Williams,Brandon Sharpe,Brandon Williams,Sean Lee,Victor Butler, Jason Williams. Am I missing anyone?

Someone isn't going to make it because we have good depth.

Well Brandon and Victor back up Ware and Spencer, so they are solid. The others are ILBs. I Jason and Lee have the inside track, so it basically will come down to Leon WIlliams and Sharpe.

C

Cr122

Well Brandon and Victor back up Ware and Spencer, so they are solid. The others are ILBs. I Jason and Lee have the inside track, so it basically will come down to Leon WIlliams and Sharpe.

The thing is I like both linebackers, but we won't be keeping them both.

Top Bottom