sbk92

Reaction score
Draft Rundown

Josh Ellis
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

(Editor's Note: Leading into the upcoming NFL Draft, which takes places April 28-30, DallasCowboys.com staff writers will take a closer look at several draft prospects, including some that could be potential fits with the Cowboys. Today's featured player is Mississippi State OL Derek Sherrod.)

Name: Derek Sherrod
Position: Offensive Lineman
College: Mississippi State
Height/Weight: 6-5, 321

Did You Know? In college, Sherrod was a four-year member of the M-Club, a student-athlete service organization. He was also named to the university's President's List three times and was one of 16 finalists for the NCAA's 2010 William V. Campbell Trophy, awarded each year to the college football player who best combines athletic success, scholarly achievement and community service.

Strengths: To start with, Sherrod is well-built, with long arms and big hands, and his sturdy frame has held up well in the demanding SEC, with no sign of durability issues. He has great agility for an NFL pass protector, and can get to the second level in the running game. In addition to plus character, he is smart in the meeting room and on the field and has been commended for his work ethic.

Weaknesses: Doesn't have a strong punch to stun defensive linemen, and occasionally seems to be overmatched strength-wise, forcing him to rely on finesse. Impassionate body language has turned off some scouts. Though his body type would allow him to play tackle or guard, he may not be an ideal fit at either spot.

Sound Bites: On the competition he faced in the SEC: "It prepared me very well. The SEC is among the best when it comes to athletes and the speed and the physical aspects of the game. You can go in and look at any SEC game and it'll be very physical and you just compete with each other. It's going to be very hard fought. That's the epitome of the league. It's a tough, physical game and I was right there with it."

Where He's Headed: Sherrod is a borderline first-round talent who could last until the middle of the second round.

How He Helps Cowboys: A team that typically prefers to keep a bigger offensive line, there's a decent chance the Cowboys see Sherrod as a guard. He compares favorably to Kyle Kosier, their free agent left guard, as a smart player who, while occasionally overpowered, will still be effective because of good athletic ability. He does have adequate dimensions to play tackle, however, and the Cowboys could have openings at both spots.

C

Cr122

I'd be happy with Sherrod too.

As a matter of fact I wouldn't mind taking back to back offensive lineman at 9 and 40.

It may be possible that we draft both Tyron Smith and Derek Sherrod.

I also wouldn't mind drafting any other combination of offensive lineman. There's too many to list, but I like a lot of the prospects in this draft.

Just take a look at the ages of our interior lineman and the question marks at tackle. I 'd say were desperate for the offensive line in this draft.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I'd be happy with Sherrod too.

As a matter of fact I wouldn't mind taking back to back offensive lineman at 9 and 40.

It may be possible that we draft both Tyron Smith and Derek Sherrod.

I also wouldn't mind drafting any other combination of offensive lineman. There's too many to list, but I like a lot of the prospects in this draft.

Just take a look at the ages of our interior lineman and the question marks at tackle. I 'd say were desperate for the offensive line in this draft.

Why would we draft both when we already have Free?

C

Cr122

I've read a couple statements that mentioned Sherrod being the most technically sound of all the tackle prospects...

I like him. I have a list of about 10 tackles that I want us to draft, and he's one of them.

The one I don't like is Solder because he looks like a pussy.

sbk92

Reaction score
I like him. I have a list of about 10 tackles that I want us to draft, and he's one of them.

The one I don't like is Solder because he looks like a pussy.

I hope we don't take a T at 9 and then ignore the position the rest of the way. There's some good mid round Ts in this class. I'd love to get another.

I think James Brewer is gonna be a really nice 3rd round pick for somebody. Carpenter looks like an NFL RT. A guy like Willie Smith from East Carolina is a late riser right now.

C

Cr122

I like Brewer as well, Smith and Carpenter not so sure about them.

There's so many scenarios that could play out who really knows what we'll do at 9.

I guess we'll find out here soon enough. I've read and heard a lot of mocks that include different players going to us at 9.

It's obviously going to be BPA. Who it is is anyones guess at this point. Watch Jerry blow everyone's mind and take J.J. Watt at 9.

Top Bottom