dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Cowboys could find their leader in Hines Ward

Hines Ward has the veteran leadership the Cowboys' locker room needs.
(Jason Bridge-US PRESSWIRE)

ARCHIVE | EMAIL
Matt Mosley started his career at the Dallas Morning News, where he covered the Dallas Cowboys. He was the first full-time NFL blogger at ESPN.com. Mosley can be heard weekdays as part of Galloway and Co. on ESPN Radio 103.3 FM. Follow Mosley on Twitter: @MattMosley

Dallas Cowboys defensive end Jason Hatcher delivered some unintentional controversy a few weeks ago when he was asked to name at least one leader on the roster.

"Dude. . ." answered Hatcher before admitting that no one came to mind.

That radio interview on Dallas' "Ben & Skin Show" has served as the basis for a larger discussion regarding who's running the show at Valley Ranch. I believe players such as Jason Witten, Tony Romo and Jay Ratliff exhibit leadership qualities, but it seems Hatcher is looking for something more. The name he kept dropping, Ray Lewis, has been the heart and soul of the Baltimore Ravens' defense for years. And other organizations such as the Giants and Patriots count on their head coaches to set the tone when it comes to leadership.

Cowboys head coach Jason Garrett came up short in that area this past season, as evidenced by his lack of accountability for what took place in a loss to the Arizona Cardinals. He certainly doesn't have the presence of those coaches I mentioned, and a lot of that has to do with not having a lot of skins on the wall.

But the Cowboys have an opportunity to land someone cut from the same cloth as Lewis. He's one of the most feared wide receivers in the game, even if some of that's based on his reputation for taking cheap shots.

The Cowboys would be wise to find room on their roster for former Steelers receiver Hines Ward, who doesn't seem interested in retirement after being released last week at age 35. Cowboys owner Jerry Jones has already indicated he won't commit big money to re-signing Laurent Robinson despite the wide receiver's breakout season. And Jones' praise for practice-squad phenom Andre Holmes seems a little forced.

A league source revealed to FoxSportsSouthwest.com that Ward is being discussed as a potential target in free agency. The Cowboys would love to add a veteran leader much like they did with linebacker Keith Brooking prior to the ‘09 season. And Jones is drawn to players in free agency who have a chip on their shoulder.

The source said the Cowboys were concerned Ward might be a "progress stopper," meaning his presence might block the path of a younger wide receiver, such as Holmes.

But forgive me for not thinking Holmes is the next Miles Austin. The Cowboys have had so much success with undrafted players (Tony Romo, Austin) that it has probably clouded their approach.

The Cowboys need to be proactive in trying to identify a third receiver based on the interest Robinson's likely to draw in free agency. They've finally given up on Kevin Ogletree, and former reality-show star Jesse Holley is nothing more than a stopgap.

If you think Ward can still catch 40-50 passes (46 in 2011), why not bring in a former Super Bowl MVP? Austin is coming off a disappointing season that was hampered by a hamstring injury and Dez Bryant has yet to become a consistent threat.

It's pretty clear that Bryant is freakishly gifted as an athlete. But he needs to run better routes and learn how to gain separation from defensive backs throughout games instead of just showing flashes. By all accounts, Ward has been a tremendous teammate over the years. And his well-documented nasty streak would be a welcome addition to an offense that seems to specialize in finesse.

"He was Hines Ward, one of the best receivers in the game," Ben Roethlisberger told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "I got a chance to be in the huddle with him and Jerome Bettis. He made me better. It didn't matter if I threw a good ball or a bad ball, 99 percent of the time he'd catch it, whether it was with one hand, off a helmet or off a defender. He made me a much better quarterback and player. That's why I wanted to call him and thank him."

It's hard for players to become better leaders if it's not being modeled for them on a regular basis. How do you think Ward would react to one of his teammates telling reporters about a "sense of entitlement" that permeates Valley Ranch? Ward would laugh in the face of any teammate who acted as if playing for the Cowboys made them special.

He's been in an organization that is built on toughness and continuity. The NFL might be a young man's game, but there's still a place for guys like Ward who have excelled in this league for more than a decade despite not having the so-called measurables that we hear about so much this time of year. He's one of only eight players in NFL history to have 1,000 career receptions, and he averaged 85.6 catches per season from 2001-2009.

With Ward in the locker room, maybe Hatcher wouldn't have such a hard time answering a simple question. The Cowboys owe it to themselves to take a long look at the veteran wide receiver.

He'd be anything but a progress stopper.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Dude is 35. Oh wait, he won Dancing With The Stars. Jerseys will be sold.

Welcome to Dallas Hines.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
classic New England move here

:dbair

ps that's not true. You don't get leaders from other teams. They were leaders because that's where they built their rep and played for a decade plus. Brooking was a firecracker but his leader reign lasted for like 3 games when he was playing well and leading the hype circle. You sign these washd up old players if you think they can still be a role player and make clutch plays when you need it because they've been there before. Not because you want to fill a leader void with a guy who smiles alot and blocks corners.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
I was dreaming dreams of Brandon Carr, Courtland Finnegan and/or Carl Nicks. But what I'm getting is Anthony Spencer, Keith Brooking and Hines Ward. YAY!

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
babe said this a month ago.

it was kind of odd then and just as odd now.

I mean I remember eddie george here and well, that didnt veteran leadership us anywhere.

C

Cr122

As long as he comes cheap who cares. These young guys won't be able to take over this year anyways.

Take Harris for an example, yes I think he can fill the third wideout position, but just think about it even if Ward were to be signed he could give Harris that extra year to grow into the role.

Yeah, some may see it as a stop gap situation, but Ward would probably only be here for the year anyways. Ward does show excellent leadership and it would show in the locker room. I'd give it a shot. Who knows he might even be able to help out Bryant with his route running.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
As long as he comes cheap who cares. These young guys won't be able to take over this year anyways.

Take Harris for an example, yes I think he can fill the third wideout position, but just think about it even if Ward were to be signed he could give Harris that extra year to grow into the role.

Yeah, some may see it as a stop gap situation, but Ward would probably only be here for the year anyways. Ward does show excellent leadership and it would show in the locker room. I'd give it a shot. Who knows he might even be able to help out Bryant with his route running.

Just not sure what he has left in the tank.

C

Cr122

Just not sure what he has left in the tank.

Either do I, really. What could it hurt if the price is right.

We have Austin coming off an injury prone season and Bryant has been a ghost in the second half of games. Ward would be a clutch player.

Don't get me wrong I'd still like to resign Robinson, but I think Ward could help out our group of wideouts.

It's not like he would be the #1 receiver here he would probably catch 35 to 40 balls for us. It still gives Harris and the others a chance to play some and get better.

NeonDeion21

Spectator
Reaction score
I watched every single Steeler game since I live very close to them and let me tell you this. Folks in Baltimore and Cincinnati were honestly more disappointed to see him leave Pittsburgh because he has nothing left. Baltimore was using Bernard Pollard one on one to cover him and Hines couldn't get open even once. He is beyond washed up and offers you nothing in ST's. The word progress stopper is a severe understatement when it comes to bringing in Hines Ward.

C

Cr122

It's not a big deal, really. If we don't sign him, we don't sign him. Sometimes it is better for a player to make a switch to another team before they retire. In some cases it doesn't work out.

I'm all for going with the young guys to as long as they are ready to step into the role. On the other hand experience helps too.

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
someone to talk about the good old days with brooking apparently.

This signing would completely raise up a flag that this franchise has no clue what they are doing.

I mean, it's bad enough they overpay for guys but signing an old washed up player in hopes that some leadership can rub off on the team because............well I guess because this team lacks the ability to produce it's own is just pitiful.

He can't produce. He'd basically be a mascot.

WTF?

Sure, give him David Buehler's spot. One guy standing on the sidelines all game is just as good as another.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
We haven't had leaders on this team since Aikman, Irvin, and Emmitt. We have a bunch of dumb ass players on this team today who just want to get paid and go home - especially on defense.

Reaction score
I watched every single Steeler game since I live very close to them and let me tell you this. Folks in Baltimore and Cincinnati were honestly more disappointed to see him leave Pittsburgh because he has nothing left. Baltimore was using Bernard Pollard one on one to cover him and Hines couldn't get open even once. He is beyond washed up and offers you nothing in ST's. The word progress stopper is a severe understatement when it comes to bringing in Hines Ward.

Ward vs. Newman would lead to some epic practice battles then.

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
babe said this a month ago.

it was kind of odd then and just as odd now.

I mean I remember eddie george here and well, that didnt veteran leadership us anywhere.

Neither did Zach Thomas.

Pass.

Leadership is not reputation. It is production plus reputation.

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Either do I, really. What could it hurt if the price is right.

What price is right?

He will do absolutely nothing but come in when we go four WR (if we sign Robinson back). And I bet his sub 10 yards per reception and no contribution on specials will help.

What exactly would Hines do?

Smile a lot?

Top Bottom