Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
The Midget Johnny Futon is out of rehab and back on the streets.

Johnny Manziel of Cleveland Browns released from rehab treatment facility

By Jeremy Fowler
ESPN.com

CLEVELAND -- Johnny Manziel has been released from a rehab treatment facility, multiple sources told ESPN.

The Browns expect Manziel to attend offseason workouts starting April 20, though they could see him earlier than that.

Manziel checked into the facility on Jan. 28 in an effort to "be a better family member, friend and teammate," family attorney Brad Beckworth said in a statement issued to ESPN on Feb. 3. The exact nature of Manziel's treatment is unclear, but the facility that treated him specializes in drug and alcohol rehabilitation. The former Heisman Trophy winner spent more than two months in the facility.

The Browns will work Manziel back into the quarterback room as part of a fresh start with a new offensive staff headed by coordinator John DeFilippo and quarterbacks coach Kevin O'Connell, who trained Manziel before the 2014 draft.

Browns coach Mike Pettine, who has visited Manziel this offseason, says football takes a "backseat" to Manziel's health.

"For his football life to get it where it needs to be, he needs to get the personal life where it needs to be," Pettine said at the NFL owners meetings last month in Phoenix. "This takes precedence, so however long of time he needs, the football will be there when he gets out."

Manziel was allowed to make trips as part of his treatment. He went golfing with family in Louisiana over Easter weekend, and he also visited a hospital to see patients.

Several sources close to Manziel have stressed he was "doing great" with his treatment and eager to return to football activities. Some friends have been reached via telephone to speak with Manziel, while others have been asked to write letters, relayed through Beckworth.

Upon return, Manziel is expected to compete with Josh McCown for the starting job. McCown might have the inside track on the job after signing a three-year, $14 million contract with $6.25 million guaranteed.

"When [Manziel] is back, it will be full speed ahead for him," Pettine said. "I think he's very anxious at this point. We'll be prepared as we will with every other player. When they get back to town, we're going to coach the heck out of them."

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
Jerry should rush to the Browns and make it happen. Give whatever it takes.

Reaction score
Staubach: Manziel has “Russell Wilson-type talent” if he can take care of personal issues
Posted by Mike Wilkening on April 11, 2015, 9:12 PM EDT

A Hall of Fame quarterback reportedly believes Browns quarterback Johnny Manziel isn’t a lost cause just yet.

In a story published Saturday by USA Today, former Cowboys standout Roger Staubach praised Manziel’s skill level.

“If he really truly gets his life back on track, his talent is Russell Wilson-type talent,” Staubach told USA Today‘s Jim Corbett. “So size isn’t the overwhelming issue for him when you have Russell and Drew Brees winning Super Bowls at the same size.”

However, Staubach suspects the 6-foot, 207-pound Manziel has relationship-mending to do with his teammates.

“You have to be mentally tough and you have got to be a leader. And you have to transfer that to your teammates,” Staubach said of a quarterback’s role, according to USA Today. “And I think Johnny lost the confidence of his teammates because of his personal issues. He has to get that back.”

Such are the caveats that come with even taking an optimistic view on Manziel’s future. First — and most importantly — he must successfully address his health. Then comes everything else — his preparation, his play, his rapport with teammates.

Nevertheless, Manziel could do worse than an endorsement from Staubach, the 1963 Heisman Trophy winner.

“I read where the Browns have already given up on him,” Staubach told USA Today. “He’s a first round draft pick. I don’t think you can give up on him that quick, can you?”

Staubach has a point about Manziel, the 2012 Heisman recipient.

Staubach: Manziel has “Russell Wilson-type talent” if he can take care of personal issues | ProFootballTalk

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Far be it for me to argue with Roger, but he's basically stating the obvious. No one's ever said Johnny Futon doesn't have talent. Problem is, the difference between Futon and Wilson is called, a brain. Futon simply is unintelligent. He's a moron.

Reaction score
Sitting on his ass drinking a beer and watching the NFL on TV, like the rest of us. That's the extent of his future in football.

No, he plans on attending the Browns OTAs on the 20th. He is under contract and should compete for the starting job this season.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
You know this how? I'd think if it was just a face saver, he'd have left far quicker than two months.
You said he was trying to "work his life out." I say he was simply trying to appease the Browns and save his contract.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
No, he plans on attending the Browns OTAs on the 20th. He is under contract and should compete for the starting job this season.
I didn't say anything about his plans. I spoke of his future.

We know his fucking plans, he was texting them to owners during draft day. "Let's tear this league up" and shit.

Reaction score
I didn't say anything about his plans. I spoke of his future.

We know his fucking plans, he was texting them to owners during draft day. "Let's tear this league up" and shit.

Every player will one day be watching the game from home.

Manziel privately texted the QB coach Loggins, not the owner.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Again, you know this how?
About the same way you "know" he was trying to "work his life out?"
Every player will one day be watching the game from home.
Really? That's of course, not what I mean at all. And you know that.

Manziel privately texted the QB coach Loggins, not the owner.
The way I got it was, multiple texts to multiple people - coaches, GMs, owners, saying the same stupid shit.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Nope. He only messaged one person, the Browns QB coach.
Reporting seemed to be it was every team after the first couple of picks were made. They showed him texting.

Hardly matters, we still have his example of what his plan was. To "tear the league up" what a fucking joke he is.

Reaction score
Reporting seemed to be it was every team after the first couple of picks were made. They showed him texting.

Hardly matters, we still have his example of what his plan was. To "tear the league up" what a fucking joke he is.

Again, that’s incorrect.

I know you seem to think he will be watching football like the rest of us from home, but he will actually be playing and will one day “tear up the league”.

Top Bottom