C

Cr122

[h=2][/h]

SportsDayDFW.com

March, 19 2012 11:24 PM

Catch SportsDay On Air twice per week on Fox Sports Southwest, when Dallas Morning News experts discuss hot sports topics from the Cowboys, Mavericks, Stars, Rangers and colleges (check our TV listings for air times ). Here are a few highlights from Thursday's episode featuring David Moore and the Ticket's George Dunham:

On what the Cowboys did during free agency:
Moore: I think they've done some good things, but step back and look at it. A lot of what they got approval for last year and the plaudits they received was for finding a Laurent Robinson and a Tony Fiametta. Now two of these seven signings had to address guys they let go. Are they better for letting Laurent Robinson go and keeping Kevin Ogletree? I think everyone will tell you no. Tony Fiametta was good; is Lawrence Vickers better? Even if he's better, wouldn't you ideally like to keep those guys and address other positions of need?

On if the Cowboys should be punished for going over the cap:
Moore: I think it was very clear the Cowboys knew they were gaining a competitive advantage. The league told all of the team, 'Look, it's an uncapped year, but you know what the rules were before; you know we're gonna have those rules going forward because that's what's good for the sport.' They were trying to slip something in on this little window of opportunity here, and they should have know it was not going to play going forward.

On Stephen McGee getting passed over for Kyle Orton:
Moore: Which brings me to my other point on Kyle Orton. I think Kyle Orton is a very good signing, one of the best out there. But if you had enough faith in Stephen McGee and developed him, wouldn't be able to solidify other positions that were weaker instead of filling a backup spot that was already filled?​

wyvrn

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Horrid logic by Moore.

The DMN has gone downhill will all of the defections to ESPN. They rarely write full stories anymore, and when they do you have to pay for them. It once had a ridiculous amount of talent and the best sports section around, but it's a shadow of its former self.

lons

UDFA
Reaction score
He completely looks over the fact that we only had Robinson for 1 year and then he was FREE to accept other offers. Did he somehow think we were going to pull $32m out of our asses and hand it to a #3 Wide Out with 14 MILLION guaranteed? Did he not see the GRADES on both Fiametta, who btw was also on a 1 year deal and was FREE to walk and did so, compared to the man we did land?

I think the second point has been beat to death, the Comboy's weren't even the ones that went the furthest over. There were at least 12 other teams that made similar deals but got rid of even more cap space that were not once mentioned.

The third point he made was made for him. We don't trust McGee to lead us to a win. Hell I'd be hard pressed if there was 10 mins left in a game that he could do it and we lead by 40.

Top Bottom