C

Cr122

Injuries leave Cowboys thin at cornerback
Posted at 12:45 PM on Mon., Aug. 9, 2010 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
David Moore / Reporter Bio | E-mail | News tips

Tight end wasn't the only position that got slammed by injuries last night.

Cornerbacks Cletis Gordon and Bryan McCann got knocked out of the game. Since the Cowboys weren't going to put starters Mike Jenkins and Terence Newman back in, they had to use Orlando Scandrick as the nickel cornerback the entire game.

That's the same Orlando Scandrick who is playing with a finger he fractured during the off-season.

The Cowboys were so depleted at the position that sprinter Teddy Williams, who wasn't expected to play in the secondary, played most of the fourth quarter.

"I was going to have to suit up next,'' secondary coach Dave Campo said. "If we had one more go down, I was it.''

C

Cr122

We are getting banged up there. Scandrick with his finger and now Gordon and McCann.

Reaction score
Injuries leave Cowboys thin at cornerback
Posted at 12:45 PM on Mon., Aug. 9, 2010 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
David Moore / Reporter Bio | E-mail | News tips

Tight end wasn't the only position that got slammed by injuries last night.

Cornerbacks Cletis Gordon and Bryan McCann got knocked out of the game. Since the Cowboys weren't going to put starters Mike Jenkins and Terence Newman back in, they had to use Orlando Scandrick as the nickel cornerback the entire game.

That's the same Orlando Scandrick who is playing with a finger he fractured during the off-season.

The Cowboys were so depleted at the position that sprinter Teddy Williams, who wasn't expected to play in the secondary, played most of the fourth quarter.

"I was going to have to suit up next,'' secondary coach Dave Campo said. "If we had one more go down, I was it.''

Whoa whoa. "Thin at cornerback"? I guess ol' Davey didn't see what happened to our tight ends.

Reaction score

I thought he was signed to play CB?

sbk92

Reaction score
I think we're fine at TE with Witten, Bennett and Sicko.

I'd prefer it be Witten, Phillips and Sicko, but hey.

C

Cr122

We always lose someone big every training camp it seems.

We do and if a guy like Bennett doesn't pick up the slack like he suppose to do we'll have to go with more Wr sets.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I think we're fine at TE with Witten, Bennett and Sicko.

I'd prefer it be Witten, Phillips and Sicko, but hey.

Not feeling you on this sbk92. I know Bennett can be maddening, but out of all of the TEs---Witten included, Bennett is the BEST blocker. I've always said this and Wade had mentioned the same thing. All you need to do is go back and watch that 70-yard TD run by Felix against the Eagles in the playoffs, and he who it was that sprung him. Bennett's block was textbook. That is all Bennett did at Texas A&M, and so when he came to the Cowboys, he was already ahead of Witten in that area. Remember how lousy a blocker Witten was before Parcells hooked him up with Dan Campbell?

sbk92

Reaction score
Not feeling you on this sbk92. I know Bennett can be maddening, but out of all of the TEs---Witten included, Bennett is the BEST blocker. I've always said this and Wade had mentioned the same thing.

Well then you have always been wrong. You can link me to Wade calling Bennett the team's best blocking TE.

Phillips today, or yesterday actually, is a better blocker. He's also a better receiver.

Martellus Bennett is potential. John Phillips is production.

Probably because only one of the two guys is idiotic enough to make a complete ass of himself on youtube.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
And I find Phillips being the better blocker, more so than Bennett.

I think Bennett will be the better blocker and he has the talent to be even better than Phillips. We still have plenty of weapons but this sucks.
'

Top Bottom