C

Cr122

Moore - Cowboys offensive line: A classic, or simply old?

Cowboys offensive line: A classic, or simply old?
Posted at 11:32 AM on Tue., Aug. 17, 2010 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
David Moore / Reporter Bio | E-mail | News tips

Marc Colombo's injury again raises the issue of age in the Cowboys offensive line.

Four of the five starters may be issued AARP cards any day. Colombo, Leonard Davis and Kyle Kosier all turn 32 before the season is over. Andre Gurode is 31. Doug Free is the baby of the group at 26.

"I love the age of the line,'' offensive line coach Hudson Houck said. "I remember when I was with the LA Rams. We had old guys and we set rushing records, won divisions. We were pretty good in those days with older guys.''

LA Rams? That is old school.

Owner Jerry Jones isn't concerned. He considers a veteran offensive line as asset as long as his team has some good, younger players in reserve. He believes the Cowboys are covered.

"I think you need to start getting a mix of older guys and some young guys to make your team,'' Houck said. "But if they can't come in and beat out the older guys, you're better off with the older guys.

"In the offensive line in particular, experience is so important. The older guys have seen everything, all the different line games, all the different defensive formations. They know how to prepare.

"Age is a factor to a certain point. When you get slowed down, that becomes an issue. Our guys are not at that point yet.''

Top Bottom