C

Cr122

Moore: Cowboys have nothing to gain by playing starters against Miami

12:58 AM CDT on Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Column by DAVID MOORE / The Dallas Morning News | dmoore@dallasnews.com

David Moore
Archive | E-mail

IRVING – Coaches love unsolicited advice. So, as Wade Phillips wrestles with the wisdom of playing his starters Thursday, here is one opinion.

THE OTHER SIDE: Gerry Fraley tells us why the Cowboys must play their starters on Thursday

Sit the starters for the final preseason game against Miami.

It's not a popular position. When a team looks as bad as the Cowboys did against Houston, the competitive response is to get back out there and do something about it. Phillips indicated the starters would do just that in the moments after a 23-7 loss to the Texans.

That was emotion talking. Phillips took a more analytical approach Monday, saying he was still in discussion with his staff.

"Our philosophy has been pretty good," said Phillips, who traditionally leaves the final preseason game to his backups. "I like the way we've done it.

"We didn't play like we were ready for the regular season, but that doesn't mean we won't be ready in two weeks."

Tony Dungy won the Super Bowl and dominated the AFC South in his seven years as coach of Indianapolis. Those teams went 10-20 in the preseason. His concern in July and August was how sharp his team looked in practice, not its record.

Phillips and quarterback Tony Romo have both spoken about how crisp the Cowboys look in practice, how they picked up the pace in Oxnard. The Texans throwing four- and five-receiver sets at the Cowboys defense – and Phillips' decision not to blitz as he would during the regular season because he wants to assess other areas of the team – doesn't change how well the Cowboys have practiced.

"Once we get a game plan for them against another team, I think they're going to jump on it," Phillips said. "In fact, they're starting on it [Washington] now."

What's the upside to playing the starters Thursday? Can the Cowboys really feel much better about themselves if they keep rookie defensive end Jared Odrik from sacking Romo? Is beating backup cornerback Jason Allen or Benny Sapp for a touchdown going to be the shot of adrenaline this team needs entering the regular season?

The downside is much greater. What if the offense sputters against Miami's backups?

There is only one reason to change. If Phillips gets the sense that the starters need to play for their psyche, then do it. Otherwise, avoid the temptation and stay the course.

"We're going to be fine," Phillips said. "We're going to have a good football team."

• • •

Reaction score
I think we should sit them. No need to risk injuries.

Besides, we have a lot of difficult decisions to make with our young guys. Get as much film on them to aid in those decisions as possible.

C

Cr122

I'd say at least a quarter. I know I said maybe two but I just feel they should get a little confidence back.

Who knows maybe we get Kosier and Colombo back then we do better, but seeing that playoff game last year and seeing these first four preseason games it get's you wondering.

Reaction score
I'd say at least a quarter. I know I said maybe two but I just feel they should get a little confidence back.

Who knows maybe we get Kosier and Colombo back then we do better, but seeing that playoff game last year and seeing these first four preseason games it get's you wondering.

No way. At most, a series. At the very most. And that isn't even worth it.

C

Cr122

No way. At most, a series. At the very most. And that isn't even worth it.

So you feel the same way about Dez playing then? I don't think a quarter is that bad.

Then again It just could be me worried about the offensive line. I hope I am wrong.

Reaction score
At first I wanted them bastids to play but now I'm leaning towards them not playing.

Some of the stupidity can be worked out with 2 weeks to practice and we're not exactly going up against an offensive juggernaut in our 1st game.

C

Cr122

At first I wanted them bastids to play but now I'm leaning towards them not playing.

Some of the stupidity can be worked out with 2 weeks to practice and we're not exactly going up against an offensive juggernaut in our 1st game.

I want to believe they will figure it out in practice, and have a good showing in Washington. I'm still on the fence about the offensive line.

I know we are weak there, but part of me still thinks we can have a decent year just like we did last year.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I think we should sit them. No need to risk injuries.

Besides, we have a lot of difficult decisions to make with our young guys. Get as much film on them to aid in those decisions as possible.

I agree with this. This is a lose-lose situation. So what... they get mad and go up and beat up on a bunch of future grocery baggers, who will be going all out on this game with the slimmest hope that they make it on some other team... what does that prove?

They need to put the Texans' game behind them---they see them in a month and they can get their revenge then when it really matters.

C

Cr122

I only want them to play a quarter if the Dolphins play their starters.

If they don't, then I agree we sit them. And hope and pray they get their shit together in practice.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I only want them to play a quarter if the Dolphins play their starters.

If they don't, then I agree we sit them. And hope and pray they get their shit together in practice.

Well think about it. 1 quarter at this juncture really is not going to make any difference.

C

Cr122

Well think about it. 1 quarter at this juncture really is not going to make any difference.

Sure it will, it will regain some confidence if they can play against the Dolphins starters.

I don't want them to play long, just to get some positive reps that's all.

Top Bottom