Slatemosphere

Practice Squad
Reaction score
By releasing Newman, it saves 4 million in cap space. Give that to Courtland..at least he plays with some toughness and fire.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
That's true. But since we did take OL last year and the biggggggest need they all think is CB now, then get ready for CB this year at all costs.

Ok, so they took OL last year. And seeing how the interior line was last year, you're in the minority in thinking that cb is our biggest need.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
at 14, we should end up with a good player...as long as we end up with a good player, there is no wrong answer

I am in the group that thinks Decastro is the way to go, but if we somehow got one of either Clairborne, Kirkpatrick or Upshaw, I think we'll be better because of it.

Reaction score
Ok, so they took OL last year. And seeing how the interior line was last year, you're in the minority in thinking that cb is our biggest need.

I agree we still need alot of OL help. Point is I don't believe THEY are going to go OL again in the 1st this year, and that THEY are the ones fixating on the seconday. And yes, the secondary does need help, but not to the point of targeting it and bypassing better players in the process.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
From FWST:

January 13, 2012
David DeCastro, Mark Barron, Alfonzo Dennard are possibilities for Cowboys in draft

The Cowboys have 17 of 22 starters under contract for next season, but that doesn't mean all 17 will return or return to their starting roles. Cornerback Terence Newman is expected to be jettisoned, and the Cowboys could upgrade their entire interior offensive line.
Dallas will have chances through free agency and the draft to improve itself.
The Cowboys have the 14th overall draft pick. Some of the areas they could look to address are: cornerback, interior offensive line, safety, pass-rushing linebacker and defensive end. Draft analyst Dane Brugler gives an early look at who might be there for the Cowboys at No. 14, with comments. You can find Dane on Twitter @dpbrugler.
OL
David DeCastro, G, Stanford - top guard prospect in this class, mauling puller who can dominate at the point of attack and eliminate defenders - will fit somewhere in that top-20
Peter Konz, G/C, Wisconsin - versatile center/guard who is more of a later first rounder, but could easily sneak into top-20 - no question the top center in this class

DB
Mark Barron, S, Alabama - top safety in this class who loves to hit and get physical, better downhill vs the run than back in coverage but has the feet to hold his own against the pass
Alfonzo Dennard, CB, Nebraska - short and lacks elite speed, but he's fluid with good instincts, feel and ballskills for the position
Janoris Jenkins, CB, North Alabama - would be a definite top-15 prospect if it weren't for the red flags off the field but the skill is there

Pass Rushing OLB
Melvin Ingram, South Carolina - do-it-all pass rusher who lacks great measureables but is relentless - in the James Harrison (PIT) mold
Courtney Upshaw, Alabama - lacks great length, but has smooth footwork and hips with the natural burst to win the edge and chase down ballcarriers (Def MVP of Nat'l Championship)

5-technique DE
Quinton Coples, North Carolina - had a disappointing senior season and there are some questions about his passion but skill and raw talent is off-the-charts
Devon Still, Penn State - moves very well for a man his size with the strength and explosion to occupy blocks and collapse the pocket - Big Ten Def MVP this season

Read more here: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.co...-at-the-point-of-attack-an.html#storylink=cpy

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I agree we still need alot of OL help. Point is I don't believe THEY are going to go OL again in the 1st this year, and that THEY are the ones fixating on the seconday. And yes, the secondary does need help, but not to the point of targeting it and bypassing better players in the process.

Point is.... nobody saw the Cowboys drafting an OL in the 1st round last year, because the consensus was, "that Jerry never drafted an OL in the 1st, and that Jerry likes to make a big splash." Or some other inane reasons.

Point is... nobody saw the 49ers using both their 1st rounders on OL in the same draft. Now what the 49ers did has nothing to do with what the Cowboys might do, but since it worked out so well for the 49ers, maybe the Cowboys might emulate.

Point is... what we do in free agency may determine alot as to the draft strategy. I.e. if they get Finnegan, then naturally there would be no need to use 1st on a CB.

Final point is... that you may very well be right on this. I'm now concerned. Last year the concensus was that the Cowboys would take Amukamara. Well Jones defied the consensus, and that was the RIGHT thing to do. This year, DeCastro is the consensus, and I have a sick feeling that Jerry will defy the consensus again, but this time because it's the JERRY thing to do.

My fear is that we could end up with a player like Dennard. I DON'T WANT HIM.

If we ended up with Kirkpatrick, I definitely could live with that.

My first choice in the top 3 rounds shaping up would be.

1st: DeCastro, OG---Stanford
2nd: Branch, DE/OLB---Clemson
3rd: Gilmore, CB---South Carolina

My second choice would be.

1st: Kirkpatrick, CB---Alabama
2nd: Branch, DE/OLB---Clemson
3rd: Zeitler, OG---Wisconsin

Reaction score
at 14, we should end up with a good player...as long as we end up with a good player, there is no wrong answer

I am in the group that thinks Decastro is the way to go, but if we somehow got one of either Clairborne, Kirkpatrick or Upshaw, I think we'll be better because of it.

Solid group.. i'd add Ingram and Jenkins to that bunch. If we trade back i could see Barron, Hightower, Brockers or Still.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Solid group.. i'd add Ingram and Jenkins to that bunch. If we trade back i could see Barron, Hightower, Brockers or Still.

I dont think us, or anyone else is going to take Janoris Jenkins in the first round. I bet he's going to get removed from alot of draft boards because of his issues with failed drug tests.

Reaction score
Final point is... that you may very well be right on this. I'm now concerned. Last year the concensus was that the Cowboys would take Amukamara. Well Jones defied the consensus, and that was the RIGHT thing to do. This year, DeCastro is the consensus, and I have a sick feeling that Jerry will defy the consensus again, but this time because it's the JERRY thing to do.

My fear is that we could end up with a player like Dennard. I DON'T WANT HIM.

That's my point.

Reaction score
I dont think us, or anyone else is going to take Janoris Jenkins in the first round. I bet he's going to get removed from alot of draft boards because of his issues with failed drug tests.

He's arguably the most talented CB in the draft. Someone will take him in the first.

Top Bottom