Reaction score
Yeah their gonna have 2 make another move because their outfield is crowded with Wells,Abreu,Hunter,Mike Trout and even trumbo and they still have Peter Bourjos ... I wish the reds had that problem lol.

They just signed CJ Wilson too. I do think Bourjos has some trade value and they can move Hunter back to CF.

Reaction score
Wow the marlins and angels are living it up right now damn can the reds make a move lol I hate being a fan of a small market team lol... Dan Haren and Cj Wilson is a nice 1 2 punch

C

Cr122

Updated: December 8, 2011, 11:39 AM ET

Sources: Albert Pujols, Angels agree

ESPNLosAngeles.com

DALLAS -- The Los Angeles Angels have landed the two biggest prizes of the offseason.
First, Albert Pujols agreed to a 10-year deal for at least $250 million with the team, sources told ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney on Thursday.

Then the Angels agreed to terms with left-handed starter C.J. Wilson on a five-year, $77.5 million contract, his agent Bob Garber told ESPN.
Pujols' deal includes a full no-trade clause, which Pujols had been seeking and may have been a sticking point in his negotiations with the Miami Marlins.
Pujols had turned down an offer from the Cardinals, the only team he has ever played for, about a year ago, but St. Louis was still in the bidding as of Wednesday.
Pujols is a three-time MVP who batted .299 with 37 homers and 99 RBIs in 2011, the only season in his 11-year career that he didn't have 100 RBIs or hit better than .300. But the 31-year-old did battle an arm injury.

Wilson was 16-7 with a 2.94 ERA for the Rangers last season and made his only All-Star team. He made a league-high 34 starts, but it was only his second full season as a starter after five coming out of the bullpen.
Garber had said that his meeting Tuesday with the Rangers was "great" and that he was "pleasantly surprised," but there were indications that Texas was not comfortable going to five years for the 31-year-old.
Wilson had reportedly received a six-year offer from the Marlins.
Sources told ESPN.com's Jayson Stark that the Angels jumped into the Pujols bidding late Wednesday.
The Marlins moved on to pursue free agent pitchers Mark Buehrle (who agreed to terms Wednesday, pending a physical) and Wilson. But despite the Marlins' exit from the bidding Wednesday night, sources said negotiations with the Cardinals hadn't progressed to the point where Pujols was close to agreeing to a deal.

The Cardinals had planned to talk with Pujols' agent one more time Thursday before heading home. But sources told Olney that the Cardinals' latest offer was for nine years and a little less than $200 million. That would have made him the fourth-highest paid first baseman. With the Angels deal, he is tops.

One source who spoke with Pujols' camp Wednesday came away with the impression the two sides were farther apart than had been widely portrayed earlier in the day.
Pujols won the Rookie of the Year award in 2001. He has a lifetime .328 batting average and has hit 445 home runs.
To add perspective to the Pujols signing, Arte Moreno paid only $184 million for the Angels franchise in 2003. He will pay Pujols much more than that over the next 10 years.
Buster Olney is a senior baseball writer for ESPN The Magazine. Jayson Stark is a senior baseball writer for ESPN.com.

C

Cr122

Updated: December 8, 2011, 11:21 AM ET

Mark Buehrle, Marlins agree to deal

ESPN.com news services

Buehrle Headed To Miami

Sources: Mark Buehrle agreed to a four-year, $58 million deal with the Miami Marlins.Tags: SportsCenter, Buster Olney, Hot Stove,Buehrle

VIDEO PLAYLIST
video2.png

DALLAS -- The Miami Marlins plucked another free agent prize Wednesday, reaching a deal with four-time All-Star pitcher Mark Buehrle for $58 million over four years.
Manager Ozzie Guillen praised Buehrle over and over at baseball's winter meetings. They were together on the Chicago White Sox this season, and Guillen was eager to have the left-hander on his side next year.
"This kid is special," Guillen said. "He pitched in the big scenarios, big moments, very tough city to pitch. When people love you in Chicago, that means something."
More from ESPN.com

crasnick_jerry_m.jpg
Mark Buehrle? He's a Marlin. Albert Pujols? He's still a free agent. Say this for the new-look Marlins -- they haven't been short on drama, writes Jerry Crasnick. Story

schoenfield_david_m.jpg

Mark Buehrle's signing is a solid addition to a rotation that finished 12th in NL in ERA in 2011, writes David Schoenfield. Blog
• Law: Low-risk signing for Marlins
in.gif

• Stats & Info: Buehrle very reliable
• Fantasy: Buehrle has upside in NL

Buehrle's deal is subject to a physical, which the sides were arranging.
The 32-year-old Buehrle has been one of the majors' most durable and effective pitchers for more than a decade. He has reached double figures in victories and thrown over 200 innings in each of the last 11 seasons, all with the White Sox.
Buehrle was 13-9 with a 3.59 ERA this year and won his third straight Gold Glove.
Buehrle is among the fastest workers in the big leagues. It works for him -- he's thrown two no-hitters while going 161-119 in the majors, including a perfect game against Tampa Bay in 2009.
A workhorse for the White Sox, he helped them win the 2005 World Series when he even made a relief appearance. Chicago offered him salary arbitration last month, but he decided to find a new home after a visit to Miami, where the Marlins will move into a new ballpark next season.
"Him moving from the American League to the National League, it's a big step for us," Guillen said.
Numbers Don't Lie

i
Mark Buehrle is one of six active pitchers in Major League Baseball with at least 150 wins, at least 1,000 strikeouts and a career ERA below 4.00. Of those six pitchers, Buehrle (32 years old) is the second youngest behind CC Sabathia (31).

150 Wins, 1,000 K, ERA Below 4.00
Active Pitchers

WinsKERA
Mark Buehrle1611,3963.83
Roy Halladay1881,9343.23
Tim Hudson1811,6993.40
Derek Lowe1661,6593.94
Roy Oswalt1591,7593.21
CC Sabathia1762,0173.51
powered by
poweredby_stats_info.png

"I think he's comfortable because I know what I'm going to get from him, and he knows what's going to come from us, and I think that helps," he said.
White Sox GM Kenny Williams was disappointed to lose Buehrle, but wished him well.
"Like I said, he will be missed," Williams told ESPNChicago.com. "I just told the Marlins owner he has one great pitcher but a better person. I'm happy for (Buehrle) but we have to move forward. I wish he and the Marlins well."
Hanley Ramirez's representative talked to the Marlins on Wednesday and asked for a restructured deal after the shortstop was asked to move to third base with the signing of Jose Reyes. The Marlins, upset with this, now are looking to trade Ramirez, the sources said.
However, two high-ranking Marlins officials denied that the Marlins were looking to trade Ramirez.
"We're not trading Hanley," one team official told Stark. "Everything is fine. We're not mad at him, and we're not trading him."
Ramirez tried to shoot down speculation of a possible trade or refusal to switch positions.
"Crazy stuff going around," he wrote on Twitter. "Im just relaxing with my family and getting mentally and physically strong and ready for next season."
If the Marlins can clear the payroll, they will pursue Milwaukee Brewers free-agent first baseman Prince Fielder.
"Of the top guys out there, we signed (closer Heath) Bell, we signed Buehrle and we signed Reyes," Guillen said. "That means we're showing people that they want to play for us, and for me."
One source said the Marlins told Pujols' camp if the team reached a deal Wednesday with one of their pitching targets, it would end their pursuit of Pujols. With Buehrle agreeing, Miami's 10-year offer to Pujols, that sources say would pay him more than $200 million and include provisions that would link Pujols to the Marlins beyond his playing career, was pulled off the table.
Information from ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney, ESPN.com's Jayson Stark, ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

C

Cr122

Updated: December 8, 2011, 11:18 AM ET

Yu Darvish wants to play in majors

ESPN.com news services

Teams Interested In Yu Darvish

Buster Olney on the teams that could bid on Japanese pitcher Yu Darvish.Tags: Yu Darvish, Japanese Pticher, Buster Olney,SportsCenter

VIDEO PLAYLIST
video2.png

TOKYO -- Japanese pitcher Yu Darvish ended months of speculation Thursday by saying he intends to make a move to Major League Baseball.
The 25-year-old right-hander, considered the best pitcher in the Japanese professional leagues, wrote on his blog that he had decided to use the posting system, which allows MLB teams to bid for the negotiating rights to Japanese players who have yet to become free agents.
Darvish is the No. 1 pitcher in Japan, but we want him to become the ace of the world.
-- Nippon Ham team representative Toshimasa Shimada​
"I have decided to use the posting system," he said. "I wanted to tell my fans directly, so that is why I am posting this on my blog."
Darvish, the son of an Iranian father and a Japanese mother, went 18-6 with a 1.44 ERA this season for the Hokkaido Nippon Ham Fighters. He had 276 strikeouts to lead the Pacific League.
The Fighters had given him approval to negotiate with a major league club through the posting system. Daisuke Matsuzaka and Ichiro Suzuki went to the major leagues under the system.
"I owe a lot of thanks to my team," Darvish said, adding he would provide more details at an upcoming news conference.
Darvish pitched in the 2008 Beijing Olympics and was a member of the Japanese national team that won the 2009 World Baseball Classic.
The 6-foot-5 Darvish has superb control and throws seven effective pitches, including a two-seam fastball introduced during the 2010 season. It's expected he would make a top-of-the-rotation major league starter.
"Darvish is the No. 1 pitcher in Japan, but we want him to become the ace of the world," Nippon Ham team representative Toshimasa Shimada said.
[+] Enlarge Kevork Djansezian/Getty ImagesYu Darvish, 25, went 18-6 with a league-leading 1.44 ERA this season for the Hokkaido Nippon Ham Fighters. His 276 strikeouts led the Pacific League.

Darvish turned pro in 2005 at 18. His pro career got off to a rocky start when he was caught smoking in a pachinko parlor on an off day during his first spring training, despite not being old enough to legally smoke or gamble at the time.
After going 5-5 with a 3.53 ERA in his rookie season with the Fighters, Darvish had a breakout year in 2006, going 12-5 with a 2.89 ERA and 115 strikeouts.
In 2007, Darvish won the Eiji Sawamura Award presented to the top pitcher in Japanese professional baseball after posting a 15-5 record with a 1.82 ERA and a league-leading 210 strikeouts.
Once posted by the Fighters, MLB clubs can submit sealed bids for the right to negotiate with Darvish. If the Fighters accept the highest bid, the MLB club that placed that bid will have 30 days to finalize a contract with the player. If no deal is reached, Darvish returns to the Fighters for another season and the Fighters must return the posting fee to the MLB club.
The Texas Rangers certainly will be one team with interest. They've scouted Darvish in the past and genearl manager Jon Daniels has seen him pitch in person.
The New York Yankees also are expected to make a bid, but have been coy about their intentions after their bad experiences with Kei Igawa, who failed to make an impact in the majors.
In 2006, former Seibu Lions pitcher Matsuzaka drew a $51.1 million posting fee from theBoston Red Sox, who signed him to a six-year, $52 million contract, taking the total package to more than $100 million.
The Yankees won the negotiating rights to shortstop Hiroyuki Nakajima of the Lions on Wednesday. The posting fee for the 29-year-old was $2.5 million.
Information from ESPNDallas.com's Richard Durrett, ESPNNewYork.com's Andrew Marchand and The Associated Press was used in this report.

Reaction score
Yanks or rangers r gonna end up with darvish he's gonna be 10x better than Mutsuzaka. The price 2 even talk to this man Is gonna be crazy . All that being said I think jap's picthers seam 2 struggle with the ball size an amount of innings in the MLB though.

C

Cr122

Updated: December 8, 2011, 1:54 PM ET

Angels, C.J. Wilson agree to deal

ESPN.com news services

Wilson Excited By Move To Angels

C.J. Wilson stops by the Baseball Tonight set to talk about how he decided to go to the Angels.Tags: C.J. Wilson Interview, C.J. Wilson Deal,Baseball Tonight, Terry Francona, John Kruk, Karl Raech

VIDEO PLAYLIST
video2.png

DALLAS -- C.J. Wilson joined the Los Angeles Angels' rotation Thursday, bolting the Rangers to agree to a five-year, $77.5 million deal with Texas' biggest division rival.
Wilson was 16-7 with a 2.94 ERA for the Rangers last season and made his only All-Star team. He made a league-high 34 starts, but it was only his second full season as a starter after five coming out of the bullpen.
More on Wilson's new home

stark_jayson_m.jpg
The Los Angeles Angels pulled off a pair of mind-blowing deals on the final day of the winter meetings, landing both Albert Pujols and C.J. Wilson. Story

law_keith_m.jpg
With the addition of C.J. Wilson, the Angels might now have baseball's best rotation, writes ESPN Insider's Keith Law. Story
in.gif

ESPNLA: Anaheim moves closer to LA
ESPNLA: TV money helps close deals
ESPN Dallas: Rangers weren't close
ESPNDallas: AL West gets tougher

Wilson had received a six-year offer from the Marlins. He said that the Rangers had no chance after Miami made their offer. He also said he accepted less money to sign with the Angels.
Wilson joined the Angels on the same day Los Angeles agreed to a 10-year, $254 million deal with first baseman Albert Pujols. In an interview from baseball's winter meetings with ESPN's "SportsCenter," he said he is excited to have Pujols as a teammate.
"It's crazy, obviously, with Albert going over there," Wilson told reporters. "It's a big swing of the balance of power in the West. I thought I was going to make a little bit of difference and he's obviously going to make a huge one. I mean, nobody saw that coming.
Wilson's agent, Bob Garber, had said that his meeting Tuesday with the Rangers was "great" and that he was "pleasantly surprised," but there were indications that Texas was not comfortable going to five years for the 31-year-old.
"I was under the impression they were going to make a more serious run at me," Wilson said of the Rangers. "The length of contract wasn't there. The money wasn't there."
He said that the Rangers' offer "was almost half."
The Marlins and a few other National League teams were at the top of Wilson's list, but then he started to consider pitching close to home. Wilson lives only 15 minutes from the Angels ballpark.
"Being close to home in Anaheim, that was really the only factor that let me make an emotional decision instead of a financial decision," Wilson said.
Still, as the Angels negotiated with Pujols, they wouldn't budge off four years. Finally, last night Wilson received a text message that the team would go five years, and he decided to sign.
But despite the Rangers having the worst offer of the three teams, Wilson still called leaving Texas "almost impossible."
Wilson was winless in this year's postseason. He became the first pitcher in the same season to have a loss in the division series, championship series and World Series. He also was the losing pitcher in the All-Star game -- the defeat cost the Rangers home-field advantage in the World Series, and they lost Game 7 at St. Louis.
Wilson joins an Angels team that went 86-76 and finished 10 games behind Texas in the AL West. The Angels won the division from 2007-09.
Information from ESPNDallas.com's Richard Durrett and The Associated Press was used in this report.

C

Cr122

Updated: December 8, 2011, 4:16 PM ET

Rhiner Cruz top pick in Rule 5 draft

ESPN.com news services

DALLAS -- The Houston Astros have made pitcher Rhiner Cruz the top pick in baseball's Rule 5 draft.
The draft of players left off the 40-man rosters of major league teams was held Thursday at the winter meetings.
The right-handed Cruz was a combined 5-3 with seven saves in Class A and Double A for the New York Mets. A total of 12 players were picked in the major league portion of the draft, with teams paying $50,000 to claim them. A drafted player must stay on his new team's 25-man roster or be offered back to his original club for $25,000.
"It was expected," Mets general manager Sandy Alderson said of the loss of Cruz. "I was in the Dominican Republic late in November. There was a certain amount of buzz about Cruz and we did expect that he probably would be taken. He's got a very good arm, hasn't had great command during his minor league career, probably similar to the selection Washington made last year with Elvin Ramirez. We got Ramirez back. We'll see whether Cruz can stick with Houston, but it wasn't unexpected.
"As a little bit of background, we had more first-time Rule 5 eligible players in our organization than any organization in baseball. Given our roster situation, we just couldn't protect everybody. And in some ways it's an indication of at least the depth of the talent that we have. From that standpoint it's unfortunate but anticipated."
The New York Yankees drafted right-hander Brad Meyers from the Washington system. They also acquired lefty Cesar Cabral from Kansas City for cash after the Royals drafted him from Boston.
The Atlanta Braves selected left-hander Robert Fish from the Los Angeles Angelsorganization.
The 23-year-old Fish has been used mostly as a reliever over six minor-league seasons with the Angels and gives the Braves another left-handed option out of the bullpen.
The Yankees released outfielder Greg Golson to make room.
Information from ESPNNewYork.com's Adam Rubin and The Associated Press was used in this report.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Big day for the Angels, I kinda doubt that will be money well spent though.

C

Cr122

DALLAS -- Yu Darvish announced on his web site Thursday that he's decided to use the posting system in an effort to get to the United States.

The 25-year-old right-hander was 18-6 with a 1.44 ERA this past season playing for the Hokkaido Nippon Ham Fighters. He had 276 strikeouts, which led the league.

He can now go through the system to negotiate with a major league club. Here's how it works:

* Teams have until next Wednesday to submit a sealed bid to MLB. Clubs won't have any idea what the other teams are bidding, but the team with the highest bid will be sent to the Fighters.

* They then have four business days to determine if they accept the bid.

* If they do, the MLB club then has 30 days to negotiate with Darvish and hammer out a deal.

* If no deal is reached, the MLB club does not pay the posting fee and Darvish returns to play in Japan for another year.

The Rangers certainly have interest, but to what level? They have said they want to spend most of their money internally, which was one reason they didn't step out beyond their comfort zone on free-agent pitchers C.J. Wilson and Mark Buehrle.

Some believe that Darvish could get something similar to what Daisuke Matsuzaka got in 2006. The Red Sox paid a $51.1 million posting fee and gave him a six-year, $52 million contract.

If that's what it takes for Darvish, I'd be surprised if the Rangers are competitive. I bet they bid, but won't go to the Matsuzaka level. We'll see what happens.

C

Cr122

Updated: December 9, 2011, 11:50 AM ET

Source: Matt Moore, Rays agree

By Jerry Crasnick
ESPN.com
Archive

The Tampa Bay Rays have reached agreement with rookie pitcher Matt Moore on a guaranteed five-year, $14 million contract, according to a baseball source.
The deal includes multiple club options and could extend to eight years for a guaranteed $37.5 million and buy out two years of Moore's free agency, the source said. It includes escalator clauses based on innings pitched and games started that could raise the overall value to $40 million.
The Rays plan to announce the contract at a news conference Friday afternoon, sources said.
Moore, a 23-year-old left-hander, has emerged as one of the elite young prospects in baseball. He went 12-3 with a 1.92 ERA in 27 starts for Double-A Montgomery and Triple-A Durham this season, striking out 210 batters and walking only 46 in 155 innings. Late in the minor league season, ESPN Baseball Insider Keith Law ranked Moore as the No. 2 prospect in the game, behind Washington Nationals outfielder Bryce Harper.
Moore was dazzling in a September call-up to Tampa. He struck out 11 New York Yankees in a five-inning start, and allowed only one run in 10 innings in two appearances against Texas in the American League Division Series.
Moore's deal continues a long-term pattern for the Tampa Bay organization, which has long taken an aggressive posture in trying to lock up players with little or no service time. The Rays have worked similar contracts with outfielders Rocco Baldelli and Carl Crawford, pitchers James Shields and Wade Davis and third baseman Evan Longoria since 2005.
The Rays expect Moore to join Shields, David Price and AL Rookie of the Year Jeremy Hellickson in one of of baseball's best rotations in 2012. Davis and Jeff Niemann are also in the mix, but have been mentioned in speculation as potential trade chips for Tampa Bay.
Moore's contract is the biggest ever in guaranteed dollars and potential earnings for a pitcher with less than two years of service time. It surpasses previous deals for Shields, Davis and Oakland's Brett Anderson, who all had one year of service time when they signed their contracts.
Jerry Crasnick is a senior baseball writer for ESPN.com.

C

Cr122

Updated: December 9, 2011, 1:01 PM ET

Freddy Garcia re-signs for 1 year

Associated Press

NEW YORK -- The New York Yankees have signed right-handed pitcher Freddy Garcia to a one-year contract.
More On The Yankees

nyy.gif
Want to get the scoop on everything in pinstripes? ESPNNewYork.com has you covered. Blog

The 35-year-old Garcia went 12-8 with a 3.62 ERA in 26 appearances in his first season with the Yankees in 2011.
Last season Garcia matched his win total from 2010 with the Chicago White Sox and completed his first back-to-back 12-win seasons since a six-season stretch from 2001-06.
To make room on the 40-man roster, the Yankees designated outfielder Colin Curtis for assignment.

Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press

C

Cr122

Educated guess: Neither Darvish nor Cespedes will wear pinstripes

December, 9, 2011
DEC 9
11:42
AM ET
By Wallace Matthews

From people I'm talking to within and without the Yankees organization, it doesn't appear either of the two mystery men in this year's free-agent crop, Japanese pitcher Yu Darvishand Cuban emigre outfielder Yoennis Cespedes, are likely to be Yankees in 2012. Incredible as it may seem, the Yankees payroll appears "capped'' at about $200 million, leaving GM Brian Cashman hamstrung this winter, if such a word can be used in the case of a team that is spending nearly a quarter-billion greenbucks on ballplayers already.

The problem seems to be the Yankees hefty revenue-sharing bill, which is heftier than a CC Sabathia dinner tab.

"Where do you think the Marlins got all that money to spend?,'' a disgusted team source told ESPNNewYork.com.

Uh, from ticket sales fdrom the final season at Pro Player Stadium?

""From revenue sharing,'' the person said.

Meaning, "from us.''

As a result, the Yankees appear disinclined to gamble a lot of money on a posting fee for Darvish or to get into a bidding war for Cespedes, both of whom are tantalizing prospects who are extremely difficult to assess off the available information.

C

Cr122

Updated: December 11, 2011, 10:08 AM ET

Ryan Braun tests positive for PED

By Mark Fainaru-Wada and T.J. Quinn
ESPN.com

Braun Tests Positive

Weeks before Ryan Braun accepted the National League MVP, he knew he was facing 50-game drug suspension.Tags: Outside The Lines, Ryan Braun, Brewers,suspension, drug testing

VIDEO PLAYLIST
video2.png

National League MVP Ryan Braun, who last season led the Milwaukee Brewers to their first division title in nearly three decades, has tested positive for a performance-enhancing drug and faces a 50-game suspension if the initial finding is upheld, two sources familiar with the case told "Outside the Lines."
Major League Baseball has not announced the positive test because Braun is disputing the result through arbitration.
Olney: Positively bad for MLB

olney_buster_m.jpg
Ryan Braun went from being one of the game's best young players to being one of the most prominent to test positive for performance-enhancing drugs, writes Buster Olney. Story
Olney: Three more thoughts
in.gif

A spokesman for Braun confirmed the positive test Saturday and issued a statement: "There are highly unusual circumstances surrounding this case which will support Ryan's complete innocence and demonstrate there was absolutely no intentional violation of the program. While Ryan has impeccable character and no previous history, unfortunately, because of the process we have to maintain confidentiality and are not able to discuss it any further, but we are confident he will ultimately be exonerated."
USA Today reported Saturday night that Braun said of the test result: "It's B.S."
The 28-year-old Braun had to provide a urine sample for testing during the playoffs, and he was notified of the positive test sometime in late October -- about a month before he was named the National League's most valuable player.
The positive result was triggered by elevated levels of testosterone in Braun's system, the sources told "Outside the Lines." A subsequent, more comprehensive test revealed the testosterone was synthetic -- not produced by Braun's body.
Every individual naturally produces testosterone and a substance called epitestosterone, typically at a ratio of 1-to-1. In Major League Baseball, if the ratio comes in at 4-to-1 or higher during testing, a player is deemed to have tested positive. The sources did not indicate how high above the threshold Braun's sample tested.
To affirm the results and strengthen its case, MLB asked the World Anti-Doping Agency lab in Montreal, which conducts its testing, to perform a secondary test to determine whether the testosterone spike resulted from natural variations within Braun's body or from an artificial source. The test indicated the testosterone was exogenous, meaning it came from outside his body.
The Brewers said the team had not been contacted by the commissioner's office and the team had no knowledge of a failed test.
"Ryan Braun has been a model citizen in every sense of the word, both in the Milwaukee community and for the Brewers," Brewers owner Mark Attanasio said in a statement released Saturday night. "Since joining our organization in 2005, he has been a person of character and integrity."
Messages left for MLB officials were not returned. Greg Bouris, spokesman for the Major League Baseball Players Association, declined comment.
"We are dealing with an incomplete set of facts and speculation," Attanasio said in the news release. "Before there is a rush to judgment, Ryan deserves the right to be heard. We are committed to supporting Ryan to get to the truth of what happened in this unfortunate situation."
Since being informed of the results, Braun has been disputing his case. A source close to Braun said that when he was told about the positive test, he immediately requested to be tested again. That second test, using a different sample that was tested by Braun's camp, the source said, was not positive. Those close to Braun believe that the difference between the two tests will show that the first test was invalid. Although Braun's representatives acknowledge that a non-positive test would not negate a positive one, they believe the second test shows certain anomalies that will suggest problems with the first. They declined to specify.
mlb_a_braun_gb1_288.jpg
AP Photo/Jeff RobersonMilwaukee Brewers' Ryan Braun carried the team to its first division title in nearly three decades last season, leading the league in slugging percentage at .597, with a .332 batting average, 33 home runs and 111 runs batted in.

The outfielder has told those around him that he did not knowingly take any banned substances and hoped to prove that during the arbitration process. No major league player has ever successfully appealed a positive test.
MLB's Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Policy calls for strict liability among players, meaning if a player tests positive, the league is "not required to otherwise establish intent, fault, negligence or knowing use of a Prohibited Substance on the Player's part to establish such a violation."
Even if a player can establish he did not knowingly take a banned substance, he must show he was not in any way negligent to appeal successfully. For example, taking a dietary supplement that contains an unlabeled performance-enhancing drug would not be sufficient grounds for appeal, but if he were to show that he ingested something that was either tampered with or no player reasonably could have assumed to have been contaminated, the appeal might succeed.
The source close to Braun said he believes that standard can be met.
Once criticized for protecting its biggest stars from scandal, the league is now faced with the possibility of suspending one of the game's best and most-admired players.
Braun had never been linked to PEDs previously; in fact, at the 2009 All-Star Game in St. Louis, when commissioner Bud Selig addressed efforts by Albert Pujols to tamp down questions about steroid use, he invoked Braun as a shining example of the sport's tough testing policy.
"Albert Pujols is absolutely right. He has been tested since he started playing," Selig said. "So has Ryan Howard. So has Ryan Braun, Ryan Zimmerman. Since they were in the minors."
About a month before that, Selig was quoted in The Arizona Republic as saying, "Our minor league testing program is in its ninth year, and that means all the great young players in baseball, from Ryan Howard to Ryan Braun, have all been tested for nine years. There's a system in place, and it's working. We know we have the toughest testing program in major league sports."
Earlier that spring, after Alex Rodriguez was exposed for using steroids, Braun spoke to MLB.com about the "mistakes" made by the superstar. Braun said he met Rodriguez in 2001 during a recruiting trip to the University of Miami.
Asked if he were surprised that Rodriguez had been exposed as a steroid user, Braun was quoted saying, "I don't know if I would say I was surprised. I feel like it was so rampant, so prevalent, in baseball during that time period that not much surprises me anymore. If anything, I was surprised he got caught, that it came out this long after he supposedly did it."
On whether he had ever been tempted to try performance-enhancing drugs, Braun said, "It's never something that I sought."
MLB.com wrote that Braun then showed "a flash of his sense of humor and his well-documented self-confidence" by adding, "I would never do it because if I took steroids, I would hit 60 or 70 home runs."
Braun was speaking to the website prior to the news conference at which Rodriguez admitted his use.
"... The best thing he can do is come out, admit to everything and be completely honest," Braun said. "The situation will die a lot faster if he tells the whole truth."
Since breaking into the majors in 2007 at 23, Braun has emerged as one of the sport's top young players. He won the NL Rookie of the Year in 2007 and was an All-Star each of the past four seasons.
In his rookie season, Braun hit 34 homers and drove in 97 runs, while amassing a .634 slugging percentage in just 113 games. He had 37 home runs and 106 RBIs the following year, then saw his power numbers decline modestly over the next two seasons. He still hit 25 home run runs and had a .501 slugging percentage in 2010.
In April, Braun signed a five-year contract extension worth $105 million. He then went out and had his best season ever, carrying the Brewers to their first division title in nearly three decades. He led the league in slugging percentage at .597, with a .332 batting average, 33 home runs, 111 runs batted in, 109 runs scored and 33 stolen bases.
Braun turned 28 on Nov. 17 and five days later was named the NL MVP. Now, though, he's looking at a 50-game suspension to open the 2012 season, and, of course, all sorts of questions about what role steroids have played in his success.
Mark Fainaru-Wada and T.J. Quinn are investigative reporters with ESPN's enterprise unit. Fainaru-Wada can be reached at markfwespn@gmail.com[/EMAIL]. Quinn can be reached attjquinn31@yahoo.com[/EMAIL].

C

Cr122

David Price hurt his neck between innings by toweling off too vigoriously. :awkward

Top Bottom