Statman

Practice Squad
Reaction score
For all of you our there that miss Murray, myself included, we'll just say the Cowboys did sign him to 7 mil a year.

Unfortunately, in the first week of training camp, he got hurt and will be out for the season.

Is that so far fetched?

Now everybody is happy. The fans that wanted to keep him got their wish. And the naysayers will be thrilled to say they warned you this would happen.

However, unlike the Texans that have practically nothing but the best d-lineman in the game today, the Cowboys have a Pro Bowl quarterback, possibly the best WR, a Hall of Fame TE and the best O- line in the league.

The injury to Foster can be just another lesson that one player should not be the difference between having a good season or a poor one. If its true then you don't really have a good football team.

The Dallas Cowboys have a very good football team.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
On paper at least, this appears to be a much more talented and deeper roster for sure.

They gotta do it on gamedays still, but this has the looks of a pretty special season IMO

Statman

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I really do too and I don't think they are done picking up pieces.

Here is how teams like the old Cowboys, today's Patriots, etc, maintain their high level of play. When many veterans are in their last years of their careers and haven't won a championship they are willing to latch onto a great team and enjoy the ride for less money than they would normally require from other teams.

The best unsigned RB's, heck, even some of the signed ones, are marketing themselves to the Cowboys. In addition to that, there will be some pretty good ones cut. I mean good enough to make really positive contributions to this team behind this O-line.

Randle and McFadden aren't just competing against themselves, they are competing against every RB that may be available come early September.

Then again, the Cowboys have some valuable trade bait. I'm pretty sure they are going to be a little too crowded on the offensive line, perhaps TE, even DL and LB. Maybe they pull a trade for some capable back that just happens to be in the wrong circumstances at this time.

Jut as a wild example, The Vikings have Peterson back and their QB also runs more than average but their interior offensive line is a bunch of former 6th round picks averaging about 30 years in age. They could use some help and their RB's last year realize they aren't getting the ball nearly as much. Their rookie, Jerick McKinnon, had a pretty decent first season averaging 4.8 yards a carry. Did I mention he also had 27 receptions? Maybe you believe there is no freakin' way but how far are they willing to go without improving the line blocking for their franchise RB?

According to Football Outsiders, Peterson accounted for the largest amount of yardage above what he was given by his line in 2013 and they were ranked lower last year.

Now, I don't have a clue as to what is really happening with the Vikings and those type of dynamics, I'm just saying that there could be similar type circumstances somewhere around the league.

Reaction score
For all of you our there that miss Murray, myself included, we'll just say the Cowboys did sign him to 7 mil a year.

Unfortunately, in the first week of training camp, he got hurt and will be out for the season.

Is that so far fetched?

Now everybody is happy. The fans that wanted to keep him got their wish. And the naysayers will be thrilled to say they warned you this would happen.

However, unlike the Texans that have practically nothing but the best d-lineman in the game today, the Cowboys have a Pro Bowl quarterback, possibly the best WR, a Hall of Fame TE and the best O- line in the league.

The injury to Foster can be just another lesson that one player should not be the difference between having a good season or a poor one. If its true then you don't really have a good football team.

The Dallas Cowboys have a very good football team.

Yes, you are right that in such a scenario Dallas would be essentially in the same situation they are now but with a chunk of money going to an injured messiah. However, I don't see this team as remotely close to last years end of the regular season machine because they did lose that messiah who was so responsible for all of those yards, TDs, first downs, receptions and threats to the defense. It's still a team that subtracted more than it added. McFadden is a question mark (as much of a fan as I am of him), Dunbar needs to be targeted more and stay healthy, and Randle is not even close to the physical specimen that Murray was. Could TWilly truly replace Dez if Dez left for another team? No.

Also, we don't know what Linehan looks like calling running plays without Callahan. We know his and Jason's tendencies from previous years and those tendencies are not good. I'm worried more about the only advantage (whether because of Murray or Callahan or the combination that Dallas had last year on offense that:
changed the nature of the power of the team,
caused the O-line to be considered good (they are average at pass blocking),
and allowed control of the clock, defensive management, and pressure off Romo...

...are not on the team anymore.

I would feel a lot more enthusiastic about the offense if they would have drafted a running back and if they eventually sign a potent LaGarrette Blount because they need to run, I would feel a lot better about the offense. But right now the real upgrade to the team in my opinion is the defense in the pass rush and DBs. I could see them catching fire. But I could also see a bunch of empty backfield passing
3 and outs by Linehan and Jason wearing them down during games.

Statman

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Fear not. Yes, losing DeMarco was a step backwards but progress is typically more like two steps forward, one step backward.

The steps forward far, far outweigh the steps backward.

This young team starts out with an additional years experience working together and the 1st and 2nd year players will make a much more significant contribution. The big gains are a healthier Sean Lee, a more experienced DeMarcus Lawrence, two additional good pass rushers with Gregory and Hardy, more cohesion from an alrey outstanding O-line, not to mention the almost impossible quality increase in talent and depth.

Continued highly productive receiving corps with perhaps additional depth and options, quality additions to the defensive backfield, and a team of players dedicated to each other, not mercenaries dedicated to their next contract.

This is going to be special.

Top Bottom