dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
SPARQ_DE_2017.jpg

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Mayock on Peppers:

Jabrill Peppers' stock in the NFL draft will depend a lot on which position NFL clubs project him to play, and whether or not the versatile former Michigan star's skill set is a proper fit for their defenses. But there is no hesitation on the part of NFL Network draft expert Mike Mayock -- he thinks very highly of Peppers' draft value, higher than most.

"I love the kid. I think he's a top-10 pick," Mayock said Friday on NFL Network from UM's pro day workout. "I might be in the minority, but he's a football player and a dynamic returner."

Peppers won the Paul Hornung Award as college football's most versatile player last year, playing linebacker for the Wolverines after spending the previous season playing in the secondary. Add in his return exploits and spot duty on offense at Michigan, and you have a level of versatility that, for NFL scouts, is both attractive and a challenging evaluation at the same time. Among five NFL.com analysts who have published mock drafts, Peppers is projected no higher than No. 17 overall to the Washington Redskins.

Peppers went through positional drills only on Friday for his pro day workout.

"People wanted to see two things. One, can he open his hips and drive to a deep third or to a deep half, track and catch the football? His hips are outstanding," Mayock added. "There is no problem driving to the deep third, the deep half, making a cut to get back to the football. The (other) issue was, and there is some conversation about it in NFL circles: does he catch the ball on defense as well as he does on offense? He had two more drops today on deep balls. He only had one interception in his career -- that will continue to be a question."

Mayock named Peppers the No. 1-ranked safety in the draft in his most recent positional rankings, ahead of LSU's Jamal Adams and Ohio State's Malik Hooker.

JBond

UDFA
Reaction score
not a fan of kids from basketball schools (see: Byron Jones).

Well that is good. K-State is not a basketball school. They do have one of the best football coaches in the country.

JBond

UDFA
Reaction score
Big Jordan Willis guy here by the way

Everyone is listing him as a 2nd, but I would be happy at 28. Not a head case drug addicted moron. Solid character and outstanding production. If he was at a higher profile school, he would be a top ten pick.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Everyone is listing him as a 2nd, but I would be happy at 28. Not a head case drug addicted moron. Solid character and outstanding production. If he was at a higher profile school, he would be a top ten pick.

Yeah I was all hoping back in January this guy might be a nice pick at 60, but no way he lasts that long anymore.

He'll go late 1st or early 2nd I suspect. I definitely have no problem with him being the pick at 28.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Watching Willis play against Stanford, and damn, Christian McCaffrey is impressive.

Oh and Jordan Willis does get good pressure, but he doesn't look like the greatest pass-rusher.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Oh and Jordan Willis does get good pressure, but he doesn't look like the greatest pass-rusher.

I noticed watching some of his video clips that he was lined up a lot at LDE in a 4pt stance, which he wouldn't be doing much (if any) here. I read in his proday workout he was lining up more in 3pt stance and even some at OLB in various drills and he really showed well.

The other thing I noticed is it seemed he used his hands pretty well to get the OL in front of him off balance a lot. He must be pretty strong.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Not that it means shit, but Broaddus is under the impression they really like McKinley if he is there at 28.

Reaction score
In addition to his visit next week, I'm told Tarell Basham is expected to have dinner with the Cowboys tomorrow ahead of his Ohio pro day.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
"This is the best cornerback class in a long time, with as many as a dozen players landing first-round grades from teams this season. " -Dieter Kurtenbach, Fox Sports

"I can get through four rounds of quality cornerbacks and I've never been able to say that before." Mike Mayock, NFL.com

"The 2017 NFL Draft features the deepest group of cornerbacks and safeties that I've seen since I began scouting 14 years ago. I have 17 secondary players in my top 50 (10 cornerbacks and seven safeties), and I could make a case for a handful of other players to crack the list." -Daniel Jeremiah, NFL.com

Reaction score
"This is the best cornerback class in a long time, with as many as a dozen players landing first-round grades from teams this season. " -Dieter Kurtenbach, Fox Sports

"I can get through four rounds of quality cornerbacks and I've never been able to say that before." Mike Mayock, NFL.com

"The 2017 NFL Draft features the deepest group of cornerbacks and safeties that I've seen since I began scouting 14 years ago. I have 17 secondary players in my top 50 (10 cornerbacks and seven safeties), and I could make a case for a handful of other players to crack the list." -Daniel Jeremiah, NFL.com

In a deep CB class, I trust our non-secondary scouting front office to select the worst ones of the bunch.

We taken like 15 cb's since 2004, and only Scandrick has been worth a shit. I doubt that's a coincidence.

Angrymesscan

Practice Squad
Reaction score
In a deep CB class, I trust our non-secondary scouting front office to select the worst ones of the bunch.

We taken like 15 cb's since 2004, and only Scandrick has been worth a shit. I doubt that's a coincidence.

At least they chose the right yearb to let them all walk...

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

Anthony Brown was a nice find last year.

Byron Jones is not awful, despite BB's contentions.

I don't care what happened 10-12 years ago anymore. They've pretty much proven the last 5 years or so that they can draft good players.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I wonder how BB would feel about two UConn safeties on the field for us.

Charlie Campbell‏
@DraftCampbell

Per sources, the #Cowboys are holding a private meeting right now with UConn safety Obi Melifonwu.

Top Bottom