Reaction score
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on February 20, 2012, 11:03 AM EST

The Dolphins are in a better position than any team to know whether Matt Flynn is worth franchise quarterback money.

They are also in a better position than any team to know whether Texas A&M product Ryan Tannehill is a worth high draft pick in April. Dolphins offensive coordinator Mike Sherman speaks highly of his former pupil.

“Like all good quarterbacks he had great poise. Very confident in any system, west coast or not,” Sherman said via Omar Kelly of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel. “Any quarterback has to be confident in his own skin and believe in himself. They always say a great quarterback makes those around him better. I thought [Brett] Favre did that. I think Aaron Rodgers does that. I think Tannehill does that as well.”

Sherman and Tannehill didn’t make the Aggies enough better last year or Sherman wouldn’t have been fired. A former college receiver, Tannehill is a good fit for a West Coast offense at quarterback.

Tannehill’s tools and intangibles will likely make him a first round pick and the No. 3 quarterback in this class. Like Christian Ponder and Jake Locker last year, we expect Tannehill to get pushed up high in the draft because so many teams need quarterbacks.

One of those teams — Miami — might tell us what they are thinking about Tannehill in free agency. If they sign Flynn or Peyton Manning, it’s hard to imagine them taking Tannehill.

If the Dolphins only sign a second-tier player at quarterback, perhaps Sherman has convinced the organization that Tannehill is ready to lead an organization.

Reaction score
Completely misleading article title.

As an aside though... how great would it be if 3 QB's went before we were on the clock?

Push another good player to our spot.

C

Cr122

Wow..I like Tannehill, but to compare him to Favre and Rodgers?

Maybe the Skins do draft him. It's hard to evaluate QB's unless they're someone like Andrew Luck.

He's an obvious star in this league.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Wow..I like Tannehill, but to compare him to Favre and Rodgers?

Maybe the Skins do draft him. It's hard to evaluate QB's unless they're someone like Andrew Luck.

He's an obvious star in this league.

I was a big proponent of Luck until this year, and the more I saw him the more I began to wonder if he isnt being overrated by quite alot. He might make it big but he isnt a sure fire star IMO. As Phil Simms and some others have pointed out, his game isnt without some concerns. I definitely wouldnt put him up there anywhere near the class of an Elway or Aikman type prospect when they came out.

Cythim

Reaction score
Tannehill reminds me of Romo more than the other two. He can do a lot of good things but he can also forget that the game does not hinge on making every single pass. He will try to make plays that are not there, he will stay in the pocket too long, and he will lose sight of the safeties at the worst times. Playing with Brandon Marshall and Reggie Bush will make him look good.

Top Bottom