sbk92

Reaction score
By SportsDayDFW.com

Still wondering who the Cowboys will take in this month's NFL Draft? If you ask one of the Cowboys' potential draft targets, there shouldn't be much intrigue: it's going to be him.

Florida center Mike Pouncey visited Valley Ranch today and had some a lot to say on his Twitter account following the visit.

"Headed back to Pittsburgh ... would be shocked if it wasn't in a dallas uniform nxt year!" he said on his Twitter account, @MikePouncey.

Pouncey is the brother of Steelers Pro Bowl center Maurkice Pouncey, who was in Dallas for the Super Bowl earlier this year. An injury prevented Maurkice from playing, though, and his Steelers eventually fell short against the Green Bay Packers.

Even if he thinks he's headed to Dallas, Mike still would prefer to play with his brother in Pittsburgh.

"To all the steelers fans i would love to be playing for the steelers and if i had a choice i would but it isnt my choice," he said in a follow-up Tweet.

The Cowboys have the 9th overall pick in the NFL Draft. Pouncey has been projected as more of a mid-to-late first-round pick in most mock drafts.

Reaction score
Mike Pouncey to Dallas?

Mike Pouncey to Dolphins? He doesn't think so
The Dolphins need to upgrade the center position. Like, very much.

Among the most obvious ways the team is likely to do that is either by moving Richie Incognito from guard to center or drafting someone good enough to take over the job as a rookie -- someone like say ... Mike Pouncey.

Except that Mike Pouncey doesn't seem to be exceedingly prominent on the Dolphins' radar and he seems to think he's headed to another NFL team when the draft gets underway later this month.

"... Would be shocked if I wasn't in a Dallas uniform next year!" Pouncey tweeted earlier this afternoon. "The draft is April 28 so we will see."

We shall see. Obviously Pouncey, who was in Dallas for private meetings with the Cowboys on Tuesday and Wednesday, has gotten the idea that team really, really, really likes him. So he thinks that's where he's headed. The Cowboys hold the No. 9 overall pick, which I believe is way, way, way too early to invest on Pouncey.

If Pouncey is correct, perhaps Jerry Jones, with whom Pouncey met, said something about trading down in the first round. Perhaps the Cowboys are looking at Pouncey as their second-round selection -- No. 40 overall. That is all speculative.

This is not: If Pouncey had his choice of teams, he'd be going to Pittsburgh.

"To all the Steelers fans, I would love to be playing for the Steelers and if I had a choice I would," he tweeted, "but it isn't my choice."

Pouncey would "love" to be reunited with his brother Markice, who was Pittsburgh's No. 1 draft pick last year and a great addition to that team. The Pounceys played together at Florida.

Look, Mike Pouncey would be an excellent addition for the Dolphins, especially if they trade down as they want and hope to do in the first round in order to pick up an extra pick later in the second round.

Yes, he had nearly 100 poor snaps throughout the course of the 2010 season, most of those out of the shotgun. That's a concern. But I was told by a scout that is something that will be corrected by good coaching and something his sheer talent can overcome.

The greater point is, if Pouncey is correct, and he is headed to the Cowboys, does that mean the Dolphins need to make other plans at center?

After Pouncey, there is no real first-round option at center and possibly no second-round option, either. FSU's Rodney Hudson is considered a value in the fourth round. Penn State's Stefen Wisniewski is considered a fifth- or sixth-rounder because he doesn't have the strongest lower body in the world. But I like that he comes from a family line of tough-nosed centers, has great ability to recognize defenses and make line calls and is just a flat-out grinder. (Wow, re-reading what I just wrote, maybe he's more a fouth-rounder.)

I'm assuming Slipper Rock's Brandon Fusco is on Miami's board sometime late, although I wonder about the caliber of competition he faced. Oregon State's Alex Linnekohl is also a late-round possibility.

Reaction score
Okay UNIVERSORS!!!

How would you feel about trading down from 9 and landing Pouncey in the mid-teens?

sbk92

Reaction score
I saw a list this morning of the guys who visited today but I'll be damned if I can find it now.

sbk92

Reaction score
Oh well. Can't find the list. They must have removed it from the team website or something.

I know Eric Hagg was on it.

sbk92

Reaction score
I don't know why Pouncey would be shocked if he isn't a Cowboy.

I'd be shocked if he is.

Reaction score
Trade down scenarios...

Which do you prefer?

Trading down and selecting Pouncey?
Trading down and selecting Carimi?

The more I think about it, the more I want to trade down.

Cythim

Reaction score
maybe Pouncey is creating his own buzz to get more team interested in him?

When I am drafting OL in the first round I am looking for the guy that can be a franchise LT. I would trade down and take Sherrod in the early 20's imo.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
maybe Pouncey is creating his own buzz to get more team interested in him?

When I am drafting OL in the first round I am looking for the guy that can be a franchise LT. I would trade down and take Sherrod in the early 20's imo.

Sherrod is a 2nd rounder, late 1st rounder maybe.

sbk92

Reaction score
I'm talking today's list. It was posted on the team website this morning and now is cryptically missing.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
No way to Pouncey at 9 but I like a trade down situation where we then grab him. I see more of a need at tackle then I do at center or guard tho... Not sure why we gave him the impression that we liked him that much.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Okay UNIVERSORS!!!

How would you feel about trading down from 9 and landing Pouncey in the mid-teens?

NO. If we trade down, I'd prefer Sherrod. We can get good value on interior linemen in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Last edited:

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Trade down scenarios...

Which do you prefer?

Trading down and selecting Pouncey?
Trading down and selecting Carimi?

The more I think about it, the more I want to trade down.

The second option. Trade down for Carimi, but I'd rather trade down for Sherrod. I think LT Sherrod and RT Free would make a better tandem than LT Free and RT Carimi.

Top Bottom