Reaction score
Jun 14

The Cowboys don't anticipate that Mike Jenkins will be ready to practice when training camp opens late next month according to David Moore of the Dallas Morning News.

Executive vice president Stephen Jones said that Jenkins will, "more than likely'' begin camp on the physically unable to perform list. This is not a problem early. But if the cornerback remains on this list when camp ends, the Cowboys must make a decision: activate him or place him on reserve/PUP, meaning he would miss the first six games of the regular season.

There is nearly three months before that decision needs to be made. The more immediate concern is monitoring Jenkins' rehab from shoulder surgery.

Jenkins has chosen to do his rehab work in South Florida. Jones said the club has encouraged the cornerback to remain in Dallas once this mini-camp ends. His response?

"You'll have to ask him,'' Jones said.

Jenkins declined to speak to reporters for a second consecutive day. The club has repeatedly encouraged Jenkins to rehab at Valley Ranch this off-season and he's refused.

Reaction score
I honestly don't know what Jenkins is thinking here. He has no leverage. Less than any.

The absolute best thing he could do is hang around the team, be a team player, keep the coaches and trainers informed, etc. Be a good soldier. Show you're not a me player, show you're about the team, show you're not afraid of competition. Go into the season with a positive attitude and make every effort to kick ass.

A positive attitude would only serve him well going into free agency.

And really, if the Cowboys have success this year, that bodes equally well for him as well.

How many times do we see role players (at best) from winning teams go on to get overpaid in free agency.

Anyone else remember Tampa Bay overpaying Alvin Harper and Kenny Gant in 1994? Happens all the time.

Jenkins is showing his ass and he only stands to lose in this situation.

Reaction score
If we were going into camp with Carr, Scandrick and Jenkins on PUP, I would be irate. Don't wanna hear anyone else complain about drafting Claiborne.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I honestly don't know what Jenkins is thinking here. He has no leverage. Less than any.

The absolute best thing he could do is hang around the team, be a team player, keep the coaches and trainers informed, etc. Be a good soldier. Show you're not a me player, show you're about the team, show you're not afraid of competition. Go into the season with a positive attitude and make every effort to kick ass.

A positive attitude would only serve him well going into free agency.

And really, if the Cowboys have success this year, that bodes equally well for him as well.

How many times do we see role players (at best) from winning teams go on to get overpaid in free agency.

Anyone else remember Tampa Bay overpaying Alvin Harper and Kenny Gant in 1994? Happens all the time.

Jenkins is showing his ass and he only stands to lose in this situation.

+1. Jenkins is very anti-Felix. Felix is going about his business. I wouldn't be against keeping Felix, I know he gets hurt alot, but I like his attitude. And when he is healthy, he's an excellant COMPLEMENT---I got it Bob Sac, to Murray.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
If we were going into camp with Carr, Scandrick and Jenkins on PUP, I would be irate. Don't wanna hear anyone else complain about drafting Claiborne.

Amen. You got to give Jones or Garrett or whomever credit for this.

Reaction score
+1. Jenkins is very anti-Felix. Felix is going about his business. I wouldn't be against keeping Felix, I know he gets hurt alot, but I like his attitude. And when he is healthy, he's an excellant COMPLEMENT---I got it Bob Sac, to Murray.

Felix could be a solid keep at the right price, and if used correctly.

Problem is, if we use him correctly, he'll accumulate stats that'll make it unfeasible for us to keep him beyond this year. Someone will overpay him in free agency.

lons

UDFA
Reaction score
Whoever was in charge of handing out common sense to this man at birth must have been on break.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
if/when he skips out on training camp, I'll be more concerned

and by the way, they were syaing he probably wouldnt be ready for the start of training camp and might begin it on PUP

Top Bottom