Reaction score
Mike Jenkins: 'I'm just a DB right now'
September, 20, 2012
By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- The 2012 debut of cornerback Mike Jenkins went without any physical issues, which is a good thing considering his recovery from shoulder surgery.

Jenkins played safety and a little corner in the Week 2 loss at Seattle. So, moving forward, do the Cowboys play Jenkins more in the slot or outside?

With injuries to safeties Barry Church and Gerald Sensabaugh, should Jenkins see time there? Church (quad) practiced without issue on Wednesday but Sensabaugh (calf) didn't.

"I'm just a DB right now," Jenkins said. "I'm just a DB. Whatever it is, seriously, I've played it all before."

In 2011, injuries prompted the Cowboys to play five cornerbacks. But after two weeks, that's not the case this season. Jenkins is probably a better outside corner than the slot because he's never played that spot until this season.

It appears the Cowboys are slowly moving Jenkins into the mix at cornerback because they know one injury is all it takes for things to go haywire at that position.

"All base stuff right now," Jenkins said regarding if he's on sub packages. "It felt good to get out there and get a little contact and test the shoulder out. It's good."

Jenkins played on special teams at Seattle, and that role could continue this Sunday when Tampa Bay visits Cowboys Stadium. Jenkins said he's gotten snaps on special teams in the past and is open to more opportunities.

"I've played it before," Jenkins said of special teams. "It's the same thing I'm doing, just guarding people outside. If Joe (DeCamillis) wants me to do something else, I'm for it."

CowboysRMX

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Im interested to see if Jenkins could become a FS. If he could he would up his value to the Cowboys. And scratch off a need for 2013. Jenkins and Church

Reaction score
I know everyone is desperate to see our secondary solidified beyond a three quarter stretch, myself included....but this desire to turn ok cover corners with half ass tackling skills into safeties is fucking annoying. Every running back in the league would mark their calendars when they play us. Got by Sean Lee? Gone.

Top Bottom