NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys Blog

Darren McFadden could be practicing, but Cowboys want him ’110 percent’

Jon Machota

OXNARD, Calif. – Darren McFadden has not practiced during the first week of training camp because of a hamstring injury. He’s still considered day-to-day.

But according to Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones, McFadden could already be on the field if the team wasn’t being a little extra cautious.

“We want to make sure that he’s 110 percent,” Jones said. “I think that’s been a little bit of his problem in the past. He wants to be out here and then comes out here 90 percent and then it doesn’t work out well. We want to make sure he’s 110 percent. He could very easily be out here right now, but we decided to not do it that way.”

Jones was standing next to his father, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, when he delivered those comments. After mentioning that his dad “had his hand in this one,” a reporter asked if signing McFadden in March was a “Jerry move.”

“All the way,” Stephen said before the group surrounding the two men erupted in laughter.

“I’ll send you some old tape,” Jerry added. “He leads the block on the kickoff to Felix Jones. Four-three, 215. That’s Jones all the way.”

Felix Jones was a first-round pick by the Cowboys in 2008.

So is Jerry claiming that he was responsible for bringing in both former Arkansas running backs?

“I’m claiming them both,” he said. “They had some pretty good Joneses come through. The Felix and McFadden team was pretty hard to top.”

Follow Jon Machota on Twitter: @jonmachota

Top Bottom